48G Re-creation Project (fantasy)
10-25-2019, 11:59 PM
RE: 48G Re-creation Project (fantasy)
Yes that is the problem. The Raspberry Pi is a small computer, so it has to boot up, etc.

This recreated 48 ought to function like a calculator. Instant on, instant off.

It ought to function like an HP 48 (haha).

The Pi can be used for proof of concept. Maybe use the GPIO pins to test things out for the actual implementation. We can test Python code, etc. or whatever it is that would run on the actual target CPU.

I am thinking this project should take on two forks, two projects really.

Project 1: 48 Resurrection
Project 2: 48 Recreation (re-creation)

Project 1 should focus on resurrecting dying/dead 48s. A lot has been going on here already over the years, but I haven't come across any practical solution for fabricating a new keyboard mechanism, when the connections aren't working anymore. Last night I was mulling over how to laser print a new contact sheet and somehow sprinkle conductive particles onto the laser toner, then heat it up so the particles stick to the toner. And then I fell asleep haha. Project 1, resurrection, would use as much of the original components as possible, and ideally not take parts from vintage donor machines, which reduces instead of maintains the working population of 48s.

Project 2 would be totally recreating a physical handheld 48 using zero vintage components.

Any suggestions for codenames for these two projects? :-D
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 48G Re-creation Project (fantasy) - lemontea - 10-25-2019 11:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)