Is there a command for vector sum in User RPL?
05-22-2014, 01:32 PM (This post was last modified: 05-22-2014 01:40 PM by HP67.)
RE: Is there a command for vector sum in User RPL?
(05-22-2014 01:08 PM)Thomas Klemm Wrote:  Thus the building blocks are there.

That is not what I am saying. By your argument all they had to do was supply a basic set of commands from which all other commands could be coded by the user. But they went much further than that. Where do you draw the line? Let's hope this doesn't degenerate into a discussion of "turing completeness!"

Given that many commands do operate on multiple objects it seems somewhat of a puzzling omission that there wasn't a sigma that operated on vectors. I would think sigma for lists is the more unusual built-in given lists can contain non-numeric data where the notion of sigma is not relevant, while vectors only contain numeric data. A vector sum is a fairly basic operation that is useful without having to think too hard. Converting to a list or doing a dot product seem to be pretty expensive alternatives.

There is a basic difference in asking if there is a fundamental mathematical operation among the hundreds of operations on the calculator, which is what I asked, and asking why every possible combination of stack-dancing isn't hardcoded in User RPL which I didn't ask and already know the answer to. I don't see much of a connection. I would be more ready to understand it if somebody from HP said "yeah, we forgot about that!"

It ain't OVER 'till it's 2 PICK
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is there a command for vector sum in User RPL? - HP67 - 05-22-2014 01:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)