New kid - where to start
09-21-2019, 07:43 AM
New kid - where to start
Okay, I'm a vintage HP guy from the land before time, but I like to learn new things. I thought about buying a Prime but I've already spent an embarrassing amount on "must buy" calculators this year. So I bought the Android HP Prime Pro app to get me started.

Is reading the user guide the best way to tackle this beasty? I'm mostly interested in the programming side of this device, how to turn it into a powerful astrophysics tool with named constants, handy functions and the like. I've done a bunch of programming on the DM42 and HP41CV before that. I want to at least replicate that, if not make a smarter environment.

BTW - I'm a retired IT dude so programming in virtually any language is second nature to me. I like the idea of a modern 3GL "Pascal-like" programmable device in my hand. The DM42 is great, but keystroke programming can get tedious at times.

Sadly I run Linux on my laptop so I've already been bashing my head against a brick wall with the connectivity tool fun. Never mind, that would be nice, but not a show stopper yet.

During my brief journey thus far I have discovered the "backup" function. Does that create a file in the Android file system by any chance? Has anybody worked out how to do anything clever with these?

I look forward to chatting more with you fine gents ( and ladies? ) in the future.

Onward and upward ...

Steve

HP11C, HP12C, HP15C, HP16C, HP25, HP32S, HP33C, HP41CV, DM42, HP46, HP65
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
New kid - where to start - NoEqualsButton - 09-21-2019 07:43 AM
RE: New kid - where to start - HP67 - 09-21-2019, 07:29 PM
RE: New kid - where to start - Wes Loewer - 09-22-2019, 04:31 PM
RE: New kid - where to start - FrankP - 09-24-2019, 09:09 AM
RE: New kid - where to start - victorvbc - 09-24-2019, 10:06 AM
RE: New kid - where to start - Randall - 09-26-2019, 02:14 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)