Evaluation of variables in 50g
05-28-2014, 07:44 PM
RE: Evaluation of variables in 50g
(05-28-2014 04:36 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  
(05-27-2014 10:55 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  I think the key issue here is that there are many 10's of thousands of 50g RPL programs in use in many, many disciplines and (I assume) you're hoping to get as many of those folks to use newRPL as possible; absolute (or as close as is feasible) compatibility is by far the best feature to achieve that goal.

I'm not so sure about tens of thousands. Take hpcalc.org for example: any program that has any sysRPL in it will not run on newRPL, any program with a little Saturn assembly can also be scratched off the list. That takes a whole lot of programs out of the batch.
Then consider that there's only about 100 people left in the world using RPL calculators (including me) so it's not that bad. In any case, we are working towards a solution to maximize compatibility.

(05-27-2014 10:55 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Is any level of SysRPL (e.g not including any assembler) likely to be supported? Things like CST custom menus go a long way with a little bit of SysRPL support.

Yes and no. The use of sysRPL on keyboard handlers and custom menus was due to the "cleaner" execution of the :: ; secondaries and a couple of special words at the beginning. We don't want to implement any sysRPL, however there is already support for :: ; secondaries that get executed immediately in newRPL, and if there is the need for a couple extra support words we can add them (as a new feature, don't expect backwards compatibility of keyboard handlers!).
We are not designing the user interface yet, but custom menus and keyboard customization will definitely be a topic where we'll want to add some powerful features.

Claudio

If you really believe there's only ~100 folks using RPL, why are you building newRPL? Other than it will be very cool to have done so, and cool to use? If that count is close to accurate (and I don't agree) it means that about 100% of the RPL users are members here. A lot 'em are here, YES. But not all of 'em. They're hidden in labs all over the place. I'll bet there are more than 100 in Boeing alone. Or Fluor. Or GE, or others. How to get to all those hidden RPL'ers to let them know about newRPL when ready is the challenge.

As noted, looking forward to seeing more of newRPL as details emerge.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Evaluation of variables in 50g - rprosperi - 05-28-2014 07:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)