HP65 card header read/write head
08-23-2019, 05:05 AM
HP65 card header read/write head
After several more frustrating attempts at getting the HP65 card reader going, I am happy to announce it is working for now. There are still some issues I'd like to revisit but while it's working I am reluctant to touch it again right now.

One of the problems I had during the repeated assembles and disassembles was the five very fine wires connecting the read/write head to the "guitar" PC board kept breaking off at the board. Stripping the insulation off these to resolder them back was a very delicate job and it's very easy to break the conductor, which I did numerous times. The end result is the wires are only *just* long enough to reach. One wire in particular ( the red one ) just could not reach and I had to resort to adding a short length of wire to complete the connection. Far from ideal, but it works for now.

Has anybody else had this problem? I think next time I get the hood off I want to replace those 5 wires with a short length of ribbon cable - do a proper job. I've have taken lots of close-up photographs so I know where the wires are supposed to join onto the "guitar" board.

Very happy to have this beautiful machine fully operational. She's the flagship of my collection now.

Steve

HP11C, HP12C, HP15C, HP16C, HP25, HP32S, HP33C, HP41CV, DM42, HP46, HP65
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
HP65 card header read/write head - NoEqualsButton - 08-23-2019 05:05 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)