ST:TNG Tricorder design was inspired by HP-41C
08-14-2019, 05:50 PM
RE: ST:TNG Tricorder design was inspired by HP-41C
(08-14-2019 10:35 AM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  Hello!

(08-14-2019 08:53 AM)Giancarlo Wrote:  The 41 is still surprising me because of the multitude of devices that it can connect to. It wasn’t a calculator it was an environment, a platform...

I think that modular concepts were not unique to HP at that time. For example in 1979, the same year as the HP-41 was released, Novag introduced the Chess Champion Mk III chess computer (my grandfather had one of those that's why I know about it https://www.chessprogramming.org/Chess_C...System_III). Instead of selling you a complete product, they split it into the basic unit, a printer, a recheargeable battery unit, a memory module and an LCD chess screen. All these units could be plugged together in any combination, just like with the 41C. But the concept did not really survice. Today we are back to all-in-one devices again.

Regards
Max

Wow, seems a very complete chess system. I didn’t know about that. Probably this strategy of splitting a system in modules allowed prices to be cheaper and people had the possibility to build they own system one piece at a time.

Thanks

Giancarlo
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: ST:TNG Tricorder design was inspired by HP-41C - Giancarlo - 08-14-2019 05:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)