Screen Flickering. Is this normal?
07-03-2019, 04:44 AM
RE: Screen Flickering. Is this normal?
Hello,

In some ways, yes, some flickering is normal...
But some flickering might be abnormal. For example a failing back-lighting system might cause extra flicker (more than the normal)...
however, it is always hard to find out what people are talking about with flickering...

Anyhow, we have tried to minimize flicker, but it is not an easy task...

In a game, for example, developers will do screen synchro to reduce the type of flicker called tearing...
But they can do it because they are a relatively constant redraw speed.
But this is not the case in the calc. Some math object can be much slower to draw than others. you can see it sometimes in the stack where the bottom of the stack first draws, then there is a "pause" as the complex/slow object is calculated, then drawn, and then the rest of the stack...
Adding screen synchro would mean that the "display" would apear at once when all is calculated... this would cause a sensation of "slowness"... this is why we do not have screen synchro for things like that.

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Screen Flickering. Is this normal? - cyrille de brébisson - 07-03-2019 04:44 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)