Least expensive means of loading module ROMs into a 41?
04-02-2019, 08:57 PM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2019 02:36 PM by burkhard.)
RE: Least expensive means of loading module ROMs into a 41?
(04-02-2019 02:12 AM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Maybe I'll pick up a 41CL one of these days, when I've run out of other frivolous things to spend money on. Wink

I would be quite wary of damaging the 30+-year-old calculator while swapping the guts, though.

It's a pretty easy & low-risk conversion. But if you are still leery, at least keep your eye out for a nice/cheap 41C (rather than a CV or CX). There is no advantage to using a CV or CX for the 41CL conversion and C is a *much* cheaper and easier-to-find machine. As a bonus, the conversion requires the fullnut architecture and all the Cs are fullnut [later edit: I qualify this "all" in a post below]. CVs are a mix of fullnut and halfnut and CX (coming later in 41 production) are mostly halfnut. So it's easier to find a good C candidate and (if it qualms you), you aren't fiddling with something especially sought-after in its original unaltered form.

If you do have an inkling to do this, I wouldn't wait until the boards are out of production. Sooner or later some of the required sourced components will end their production life and become "unobtanium". :-(
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Least expensive means of loading module ROMs into a 41? - burkhard - 04-02-2019 08:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)