Planned Obsolescence is your fault
12-31-2018, 06:24 PM
RE: Planned Obsolescence is your fault
The industry *wants* you to spend more money. They even insert breakdown chips inside electronics to make them fail. There are a few brands I've stop buying because of that. There are car brands I'd never even dream of buying again.
If you have a reliable product, you can be sure that the industry stops making spares/refills for that product. For instance, I had my most reliable printer for years, an OKI 4w L.E.D printer. The toner was dirt cheap, abt US$10,- a cartridge that lasted over 1.000 pages. Well, try to find toners for that one today. Try even to find a PC with a parallel port so that I can use it again.. Or, even an OKI printer..?
I now have a "business grade" printer from another brand. There's the planned obsolescence in the FW and toner. They last for 180 days, no matter what. Luckily I found a description to circumvent that on the net, I think it was even on hackaday Smile Now my toner lasts until the print fades, usually abt 3.000 pages and the 3rd party TAS toner bought "loose weight" costs med abt US$10 per lb. which I've now refilled the toner unit with a couple of times, instead of paying in excess of US$100,- for the brand-name one.

A few years ago the Norwegian state TV sent a documentary "The light bulb conspiracy", a french documentary, which now can be seen at Youtube. It's English narrated but hardcoded with Norwegian subs. There's English subs over the parts that's in French.

Esben
28s, 35s, 49G+, 50G, Prime G2 HW D, SwissMicros DM42, DM32, WP43 Pilot
Elektronika MK-52 & MK-61
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Planned Obsolescence is your fault - DA74254 - 12-31-2018 06:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)