It may be helpful. Consider online backups for your important digital documents
12-16-2018, 08:56 PM (This post was last modified: 12-16-2018 08:57 PM by pier4r.)
RE: It may be helpful. Consider online backups for your important digital documents
(12-16-2018 05:53 PM)Bill (Smithville NJ) Wrote:  Just wondering - What have you done to ensure that your digital life lives on past your death?

This is a good question (also nice the observation about family albums).
I fear that many do not think about it and a lot will be lost (and then there will be an increasing awareness for everyone). I myself learned the hard way: losing data over and over, and I still lose bits here and there because I am not disciplined to check every backup.

My plan is: as I wrote in the first post, paper last longer. So at least for my digital documents I plan to print them regularly. Still easier than done though.

Multimedia, therefore pictures, is harder to save as it is expensive to print.

About online storages closing down. It is true, it can happen. My wiki built over time disappeared this summer. I have a backup but for the moment no one can reach its contents. The bet is to point on services that are too big to fail quickly. Furthermore at the same time doing, as other suggested: online copies in different datacenters and double providers. Still it is an additional maintenance cost that paper doesn't have. Not always at least.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: It may be helpful. Consider online backups for your important digital documents - pier4r - 12-16-2018 08:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)