little math problem October 2018
10-23-2018, 07:44 PM (This post was last modified: 10-23-2018 07:49 PM by Maximilian Hohmann.)
RE: little math problem October 2018
Hello!

As I have a very pragmatic approach to life (and science) my first question would be: What sense does it make to land two rovers when they need to find each other and work together? One should be sufficient in the first place... And if you land two that would only make sense if they explore different parts of the planet!

But if it really needs to be done then going towards a pole would be my strategy. A simple (solid state) gyrocompass is all that's needed for that, no clear view of the sky/stars and no magnetic field are required. Depending on the size of the planet and on it's morphology that could take very long or be impossible (like on our planet untless the rovers can swim).

If there is an atmosohere the rovers could release balloons on thin copper wires serving as antennas to get into contact with each other. That would be my solution as an areospace engineer. Again a gyrocompass on each rover together with timing the sunrise/sunset individually would give them an idea about their relative locations. This of course will only work if the length of the wire antennas (a few hundred metres at best) will allow radio contact. Using medium or long waves several thousand kilometers can be covered.

Regards
Max
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
little math problem October 2018 - pier4r - 10-20-2018, 06:48 PM
RE: little math problem October 2018 - Maximilian Hohmann - 10-23-2018 07:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)