little math problem October 2018
10-22-2018, 06:17 PM
RE: little math problem October 2018
(10-20-2018 08:05 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  I'm sure this isn't optimal, but just to get started:

The greatest distance at which the rovers can see each other is D. The radius of the planet is R. The rovers can travel at a maximum speed V.

Assumptions: the planet is a perfect sphere, no water, no hills. Visibility is the same everywhere.

One rover stays put, the other starts searching. It searches in an expanding spiral, where each circuit is 2 * D from the last. I'm ignoring the details of the shape of that spiral near its ends.

The rover covers an area of 2 * D * V per unit of time. The area of the planet is 4 * pi * R^2, so it takes a time (4 * pi * R^2) / (2 * D * V) to search the entire planet, and the expected search time is half that.

what if both rovers started in a spiral? I'd think they would meet sooner depending on the speed and increasing radius of the spiral.

Though how would the rovers know they are making a spiral and not just going in a circle or random directions.

Seems like for any given planet we want to explore via rovers we should figure out the min number of gps satellites to deploy.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
little math problem October 2018 - pier4r - 10-20-2018, 06:48 PM
RE: little math problem October 2018 - EugeneNine - 10-22-2018 06:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)