Any 42S means to keep a Global Label hidden from XEQ and other menus?
10-05-2018, 01:19 PM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2018 01:23 PM by Thomas Okken.)
RE: Any 42S means to keep a Global Label hidden from XEQ and other menus?
Hmmm, that could be achieved by hiding all labels that start with a certain character. I'd personally like it if I could do that Unix-style, hiding everything that starts with a period, but that would cause problems because I've seen such labels actually being used as user-callable labels. But if the magic character were one that is impossible to type on the real 42S, it wouldn't cause any backward compatibility issues, except possibly with HP-41 code that uses weird synthetic global labels (or are there characters that you can type on the 41 but not on the 42S?).

Of course "impossible to type on the HP-42S" means "impossible to type in Free42" as well, so maybe I'll have to add a character to the ALPHA menu somewhere to make this work.

Hmmmm....

EDIT: Or just do the Unix thing anyway, and add an option to Preferences to turn the hiding behavior on and off. People who use legacy code that contains user-callable labels that start with a dot *and* want to use the hiding feature would have to modify their code, and everybody else would be fine without any hassle.

Thoughts?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Any 42S means to keep a Global Label hidden from XEQ and other menus? - Thomas Okken - 10-05-2018 01:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)