Base Conversion & Logical Operations: Prime vs. 28S/28GX/50g on EASE OF USE
08-17-2018, 06:39 AM
Base Conversion & Logical Operations: Prime vs. 28S/28GX/50g on EASE OF USE
Some feathers were ruffled when I posted my video below in another related thread, so I am creating a new thread here. Performing Base Conversion and Logical operators like AND, OR, XOR, etc. on the Prime is not as fast and easy on vintage HP calculators like the 28S, 48G-series and 50g. As my video below shows, even for people who have never used HP calculators prior to the Prime, it's drop-dead easy to switch back and forth between bases on the vintage calculators and it takes more work on the Prime. Some people have spent time on writing programs to make the Prime easier to use in this regard (I actually posted my video in one of those discussion threads until the feathers were ruffled), but those programs still don't come close to making the Prime as easy and fast to use as the vintage HP calculators. Again, watch my video in its entirety to see what I'm talking about.

So my question is this. Why didn't HP give us an app as a standard feature which performs basically the same EASY base conversions and logical operators as we have on the vintage HP calculators? Why is it so much more time consuming to do these operations on the Prime?

I'm still new to the Prime, and some of you may point out shortcuts to do the tasks I show in my video faster, but I'm doubtful if those shortcuts make it as fast as using the vintage calculators. I don't write this to bash the Prime. Rather, I write this in hopes of seeing how to make these operations easier and faster on the Prime, akin to what we have on the vintage calculators shown in my video. Even if some of you have no experience with those older calculators, you can see in my video just how fast and easy base conversion is, for example. I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on the topic of "easy of use" and "speed" with regard to base conversion and logical operations on the Prime.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Base Conversion & Logical Operations: Prime vs. 28S/28GX/50g on EASE OF USE - JDW - 08-17-2018 06:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)