48/50 vs Prime, what am I missing?
05-11-2018, 02:03 AM
RE: 48/50 vs Prime, what am I missing?
Very well stated David; insightful, clear and probably the most objective comments I've seen about how 'bad' the Prime is.

Objectively, the Prime is clearly the best calculator on the market, nothing can touch it's performance, graphics, desktop integration, etc.

Subjectively, it's just so different from the long history of RPN and RPL (and my beloved 71B BASIC/Forth) that I've used since the mid-70's that it simply isn't comfortable for me to use without a major adjustment period to become re-acquainted with the way it works.

The academic focus/approach and CAS are things that were always secondary in prior machines (since the 48), so were interesting to explore when time and interest allowed, but they didn't 'get in the way' of crunching numbers, quick and dirty programs, etc. For me, the Prime is just the opposite; it's Algebraic/equation first, with amazing CAS capabilities (though still poorly integrated IMHO), but it's harder to wield for cranking numbers and banging out a quick program. Clearly my RPN/RPL bias is the key to these perceptions, but even knowing that doesn't change it.

I've long suspected that switching cold-turkey to the Prime, without looking back to the old machines, would lead to a very different feel (after an awkward transition period) and I'd come to really appreciate it more. But I'll likely never know for sure....

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 48/50 vs Prime, what am I missing? - rprosperi - 05-11-2018 02:03 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)