Beware not to buy HP Prime, if you are engineer!
05-09-2018, 06:54 PM
RE: Beware not to buy HP Prime, if you are engineer!
(05-09-2018 06:03 AM)Marco Polo Wrote:  IMHO the addition of CAS to the 49 and 50 has slightly "diluted" the professional content of such calcs trying to catch the educational market.

Just my two cents

Cheers
Marco Polo

I don't see why adding a feature dilutes the suitability to professionals. If they don't need the feature, then just don't use it.

That reminds me of someone who wanted me to write a simplified BASIC interpreter for teaching younger students. It was to be a subset of full BASIC. I asked why and the person said, "It's too complicated otherwise." I told her to just teach the parts of BASIC the students needed such as PRINT, IF..THEN, GOTO, LET and leave out the other parts such as PRINT USING, IF..THEN..ELSE, transcendentals and other advanced features. No need to write a separate interpreter. As the students progress, other features could be introduced seamlessly rather than having to deal with subtle incompatibilities that could be produced by writing a separate interpreter. She agreed and we worked out a complete syllabus using a subset of full BASIC and a growth path upward from there. It was an amazing success.

Tom L
Cui bono?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Beware not to buy HP Prime, if you are engineer! - toml_12953 - 05-09-2018 06:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)