Beware not to buy HP Prime, if you are engineer!
05-05-2018, 08:38 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2018 08:40 PM by Maximilian Hohmann.)
RE: Beware not to buy HP Prime, if you are engineer!
Hello!

Engineering comes in an almost infinite variety of flavors, especially after university is over and one works on the job. In my case a Ti59 was sufficient to see me through everything from high school to ph.d. Very little programming was required during that time (mostly in a course on numerical methods for solving differential equations and to evaluate some wind-tunnel and turbine engine measurements).
On the various jobs I have had after university I didn't need a pocket calculator at all. Ever. The work was all done on computers, the bigger the better. The only possible use for a calculator would have been to sum up my project hours so that I could invoice my employers, but I preferred to use Lotus 1-2-3 (later Excel) for that because it would print the invoice right on A4 paper instead of cash-register thermal paper stripes...

Could I have used a HP prime instead of my Ti59? Of course, but I think that writing a little keystroke program required to calibrate a series of laboratory measurements is a lot easier on a Ti59 (of HP67 or 41) than on a Prime or Ti Nspire.
Would a HP Prime have given me an advantage at university? Not regarding the calculations but it would certainly have eliminated the worries of ending up with a discharged battery during an exam which was a real threat because some of our exams lasted longer than the calculator's batteries.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Beware not to buy HP Prime, if you are engineer! - Maximilian Hohmann - 05-05-2018 08:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)