HP-41 FORTH; The most misunderstood Module?
04-09-2014, 06:11 AM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2014 11:23 AM by Ángel Martin.)
HP-41 FORTH; The most misunderstood Module?
Recently I've been looking into the inner guts of the FORTH Module, written by Serge Vaudenay from the PPC Toulouse chapter (Remember Jean-Daniel Dodin and his book "Inside the HP-41"?).

The Module is an 8K configuration, using pages 4 and 5 on the 41C/CV and pages 4 and 7 on the CX (which uses page 5 for the Time Module). From what I can tell looking into the code, a real serious effort went into putting it together; it's thoroughly laid out and contrary to what was reported, seems to offer a decent sent of primitives and sizable vocabulary set.

Does anyone know of any application, examples, programs or otherwise narrative covering this module? Was it a stillbirth (I doubt so) or else how come has got into full oblivion? It really feels strange that so much coding effort didn't have any parallel documentation or early adopters contributions at all.

Maybe this legend is fed by the scarcity of documentation: I've never seen any QRG or manual for it, only a one-page short article on DataFile V3N4/5 P29 from Autumn 1984. I vaguely remember a manual being included on an eBAY auction, but never bid for it.

http://sense.net/~egan/forth41/forth41_v3n45_p29.pdf

FWIW, I'll have the blueprint completed in a couple of days - naturally will post the pdf here as soon as it's done, in case you're interested.

Cheers,'AM
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
HP-41 FORTH; The most misunderstood Module? - Ángel Martin - 04-09-2014 06:11 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)