I knew punch cards would return!
04-19-2018, 04:55 PM (This post was last modified: 04-19-2018 07:36 PM by DavidM.)
RE: I knew punch cards would return!
(04-19-2018 03:23 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  Youngsters often scoff at what they see as bloated or crusty bureaucracies, but by god, these guys knew how to keep things running. I have since worked for a company that has more of a start-up mentality, and it shows: we crank out new functionality faster, but we also have more downtime. Take your pick. Smile

Along these same lines, I believe we are being conditioned over time to accept downgraded service and performance in many types of technology areas. The increasing complexity of embedded systems (whether in calculators, cars, or cell phones) makes flawless operation an increasingly rare occurrence.

Most of us are old enough to remember times when cell phones didn't exist. If we had had as poor an experience with unclear audio, dropped calls, blended signals and the like with "regular" POTS service as we routinely do now with cell service, there would have been public outrage. Now it is simply accepted as the state of the art for the technology.

This is only part of why I am very skeptical about self-driving cars...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)