Request. HP calculators (desktop/handheld) production timeline
03-15-2018, 10:51 AM (This post was last modified: 03-15-2018 10:58 AM by pier4r.)
Request. HP calculators (desktop/handheld) production timeline
While I read the hp journal issues (n1), those at least that cover calculators (desktop or handheld), I realized that sometimes hp released a lot of models in one time while other powerful models were still available.

So I was wondering whether hp overcrowded its model offering at certain times, but I am not aware of any existing list of models sold at the same time. I mean there are plenty of list with the introduction date (that helps), but not with overlapping years of production.
Example: http://www.hpmuseum.org/timeline.htm
(there seems to be a timeline on photobucket, but one page of that site is able to use endless gigabyte of ram)

If I have to estimate from dates picked here and there (hp journal, forum posts, wiki, hpcalc.org youtube files, etc.) I would say the following (feel free to take and extend it! Indeed I made it with plain text to be accessible):

The code block in MyBB is breaking all the formatting, so I moved the main content on the wiki4hp

I tried to group models by "branch" or family. I am pretty sure I made a lot of errors, but one has to start, perfection doesn't exist (or better, everything is already perfect), so feedback are welcomed.

At least now I have an idea how many models were available. It seems that the increased availability of computers, especially mobile ones, killed the amount of models available. Plus the fact that the functions offered by a calculator are more or less mature since long time so several models can be consolidated in fewer products.

n1: the hpjournal is a goldmine of pointers and nice info to read. Why didn't I read it before? I strongly recommend it! Really well done, at least the few issues that I checked, from 1968 to 1984. Do you know anything similar? It is really nice.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Request. HP calculators (desktop/handheld) production timeline - pier4r - 03-15-2018 10:51 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)