Name of MCODE 3-word page gosub and gotos
01-27-2018, 06:40 PM
Name of MCODE 3-word page gosub and gotos
I consider changing the names of the 3-word page relocatable gosub and goto pseudo instructions in my assembler. As far as I know, these were never named by HP or JDA.

Under the hood they are implemented by a GOSUB to a routine in the mainframe followed by a 10-bit word and the routine combines that data word with the page of the return address to become the destination address.

Long time ago (30+ years) I picked the names RXQ (page Relocatable eXeQute) and RGO, and that was at a time when I was using JDA.

Now I am not all that happy about the names as the 'R' makes me think of relative branches. Then the XQ and GO is a JDA jargon, which does not really match HP instructions.

So for JDA I consider PXQ and PGO (possibly PRXQ and PRGO, or swapping the order XQP or XQPR).

HP likes to use GOSUB which they shorten to GSB and sometimes GSUB (which I do not fancy as it only saves a character and is too similar to GOSUB). As HP labels tends to put the GSB first, I am thinking about GSBP and GOLP (for gosub and go long page).

In summary, I call them RXQ/RGO at the moment.
For JDA I consider PXQ/PGO.
For HP I consider GSBP/GOLP.

I welcome opinions on this and information about existing naming schemes.

Håkan
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Name of MCODE 3-word page gosub and gotos - hth - 01-27-2018 06:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)