WP-34S keyboard overlays wearing out?
03-31-2014, 07:24 AM
RE: WP-34S keyboard overlays wearing out?
(03-30-2014 11:42 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  I've never tried to remove the PCB. The keyboards have some serious quality control issues; I have boxes with dozens of 30b calculators that have one key that isn't quite as responsive as the rest

Is it always the same key or a different key?

I have a brand-new 50g that has a troublesome key on it. First I thought I wasn't hitting it squarely but running the keyboard test and in use the key takes very deliberate effort to register although all the other keys are fine. This is really annoying and a little disappointing.

I guess the 30b and 50g keyboards don't have much in common but maybe I am wrong. They have at least this symptom in common.

It ain't OVER 'till it's 2 PICK
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-31-2014, 08:38 AM
(...) Remove the pcb by cutting off the tops of the melted plastic heatstakes (rivets). Then do whatever repairs are appropriate. To put it back together, mount the pcb over the plastic stubs and apply a drop of 5 minute epoxy over each stub. (...)
Shawn
[/quote]

Thanks for sharing your experience with the 30B, Shawn.
I will do the same with mine f I cannot fix it by cleaning the excess of solder ressin flux around the battery connectors that is spread over a few pcb track lines coming from the keyboard columns and rows.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

03-31-2014, 12:17 PM
(03-30-2014 07:39 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  I recorded a new video showing how to build your own WP 34S:

Seriously impressed by how you installed the (tiny) capacitors and crystal in less than 60 seconds. I bought a bunch of capacitors and crystals quite a while ago, even bought a new soldering iron, but I've been putting off trying the installation. Perhaps I'll watch your video a few more times and then give it a try. Thanks!

Dave - My mind is going - I can feel it.
03-31-2014, 12:31 PM
(03-31-2014 12:17 PM)Jeff O. Wrote:  
(03-30-2014 07:39 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  I recorded a new video showing how to build your own WP 34S:

Seriously impressed by how you installed the (tiny) capacitors and crystal in less than 60 seconds. I bought a bunch of capacitors and crystals quite a while ago, even bought a new soldering iron, but I've been putting off trying the installation. Perhaps I'll watch your video a few more times and then give it a try. Thanks!

Ditto!
Thank you Eric.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-31-2014, 02:15 PM
(03-31-2014 12:31 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  
(03-31-2014 12:17 PM)Jeff O. Wrote:  Seriously impressed by how you installed the (tiny) capacitors and crystal in less than 60 seconds.

Ditto!
Thank you Eric.

Simply breathtaking! Thanks!

The only nitpicky remark: just when you want to show how to adjust the main part of the overlay your head can't tell the story. Wink

d:-)
03-31-2014, 02:27 PM
As I said in the note for those 20 seconds, you really aren't missing anything. Even if my head hadn't been in the way you wouldn't have seen anything you didn't already see before and after I blocked it. Perhaps I should have had a second camera going from a different angle, but I didn't think of that.

I tried to describe what I was doing in my narration. I just slowly lowered it onto the faceplate, first touching the area between rows 2 and 3 (just above the INPUT/ENTER key) since it is the widest and then slowly worked my way to the bottom and top.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)