42S (or Free42): Detect Shift key with MENU?
12-19-2017, 02:54 PM
42S (or Free42): Detect Shift key with MENU?
I can't remember if there's a way to do this or not, but if I'm displaying an application menu via MENU and appropriate KEY commands, is there a way to change the program's behavior if one of the menu options is invoked with Shift? Maybe a flag or something that can be tested to see if Shift had been pressed?

Also, is there any way to intermingle MVAR and KEY within a single menu?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-19-2017, 03:42 PM
RE: 42S (or Free42): Detect Shift key with MENU?
(12-19-2017 02:54 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  I can't remember if there's a way to do this or not, but if I'm displaying an application menu via MENU and appropriate KEY commands, is there a way to change the program's behavior if one of the menu options is invoked with Shift? Maybe a flag or something that can be tested to see if Shift had been pressed?

[Shift]-[Menu key] lets you view the contents of that MVAR (while holding var key down); I don't think you can use [Shift] the way you are thinking. The manual should specify this for sure.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
12-19-2017, 04:18 PM
(12-19-2017 03:42 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  [Shift]-[Menu key] lets you view the contents of that MVAR (while holding var key down); I don't think you can use [Shift] the way you are thinking. The manual should specify this for sure.

Yeah, I see it mentions where you can do that to view the contents of an MVAR, but I don't see anything mentioning being able to detect Shift from a custom MENU. I guess they figured you'd just do multi-page menus for overloading the keys, which isn't an entirely bad way of doing it, but it's nice to be able to have shortcuts like in a TVM solver, where Shift+"N" stores 12*X into "N".
12-19-2017, 06:11 PM
(12-19-2017 04:18 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Yeah, I see it mentions where you can do that to view the contents of an MVAR, but I don't see anything mentioning being able to detect Shift from a custom MENU. I guess they figured you'd just do multi-page menus for overloading the keys, which isn't an entirely bad way of doing it, but it's nice to be able to have shortcuts like in a TVM solver, where Shift+"N" stores 12*X into "N".

I agree, it would be nice, but this is how I discovered the variable peek feature, then low and behold found it in the manual (and the QRG!).

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
12-19-2017, 07:19 PM
(12-19-2017 02:54 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  I can't remember if there's a way to do this or not, but if I'm displaying an application menu via MENU and appropriate KEY commands, is there a way to change the program's behavior if one of the menu options is invoked with Shift? Maybe a flag or something that can be tested to see if Shift had been pressed?

No, no, and no.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)