Multi Calculator Kit
02-15-2018, 10:53 AM
RE: Multi Calculator Kit
Hi all,

A new PC emulator and MultiCalc PIC upgrade is available.

There were so many changes behind the scenes, I'm sure a bug will appear somewhere.

I have managed to add the HP38C to the list of calculators for the kit and now it can emulate 25 models, including all Classics, all Woodstocks, all Spice, 65, 67, and 91.

The same functionality is also available for Haralds Classic controller which is included in the download.

I think I need a break now :-)

cheers

Tony
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-15-2018, 11:56 AM
(02-15-2018 10:53 AM)teenix Wrote:  A new PC emulator and MultiCalc PIC upgrade is available.

There were so many changes behind the scenes, I'm sure a bug will appear somewhere.

Well, the main bug is that the 3 emulations HP-01, HP-19c and HP-29c have now disappeared from the calculator list ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-15-2018, 12:33 PM
(02-15-2018 11:56 AM)fhub Wrote:  Well, the main bug is that the 3 emulations HP-01, HP-19c and HP-29c have now disappeared from the calculator list ...

Some models need updating with the new cce33,exe. I had to make some model indexes in the software more absolute because of the new C models that have been added lately.

You can save a download by changing the filenames on your drive as follows

cal1.pfl -> cal01.pfl
cce1.dll -> cce01.dll

cal19.pfl -> cal19c.pfl
cce19.dll -> cce19c.dll

cal29.pfl -> cal29c.pfl
cce29.dll -> cce29c.dll

cheers

Tony
02-15-2018, 01:46 PM
(02-15-2018 12:33 PM)teenix Wrote:  Some models need updating with the new cce33,exe.

Ok, after renaming they are back again - many thanks! Smile

One more thing I've reported a few days ago, but it seems you've overlooked it:
the wrong positions of the PRGM/RUN switch in the HP-33C.

I could fix it myself by exchanging the switch positions in the bitmap resources (HPF/HPM) of cce33c.dll - a quite simple task for a hacker like me. Wink

I've attached both (the fixed BMP resources and the fixed DLL) ...

Regards,
Franz

Attached File(s)
.zip  FixedBMPs.zip (Size: 334.2 KB / Downloads: 9)
.zip  FixedCCE33c.zip (Size: 675.94 KB / Downloads: 7)
02-15-2018, 05:10 PM
(02-15-2018 01:46 PM)fhub Wrote:  One more thing I've reported a few days ago, but it seems you've overlooked it:
the wrong positions of the PRGM/RUN switch in the HP-33C.

I could fix it myself by exchanging the switch positions in the bitmap resources (HPF/HPM) of cce33c.dll - a quite simple task for a hacker like me. Wink

Regards,
Franz

Hi Franz,

Thanks for the feedback, yes, sorry I did miss that.

The problem was in the software and affected some other 3x types as well.

No secrets in my software, I'm not that smart ;-)

A new upload is available.

cheers

Tony
02-15-2018, 06:39 PM (This post was last modified: 02-15-2018 07:06 PM by fhub.)
(02-15-2018 05:10 PM)teenix Wrote:  The problem was in the software and affected some other 3x types as well.

A new upload is available.

Well, you should have better used my fixed version (or at least my bitmap resources) ... Wink

Your updated cce33.exe does not fix the 33C (the button is still always on PRGM), but now even the 33E has a wrong PRGM/RUN switch position.

In fact the problem was only a wrong switch position in the 2 resource bitmaps of the cce33c.dll (and that was all I've changed) - now your fix in the EXE has broken it also for the 33E.

Regards,
Franz
02-15-2018, 09:18 PM

Well, you should have better used my fixed version (or at least my bitmap resources) ... Wink

Your updated cce33.exe does not fix the 33C (the button is still always on PRGM), but now even the 33E has a wrong PRGM/RUN switch position.

In fact the problem was only a wrong switch position in the 2 resource bitmaps of the cce33c.dll (and that was all I've changed) - now your fix in the EXE has broken it also for the 33E.

Regards,
Franz
[/quote]

Fixed. I downloaded and installed them here and all seems ok.

New uploads required are cce33.zip
HP33e.zip
HP33c.zip
HP34.zip

Sorry for the inconvenience.

cheers

Tony
03-02-2018, 07:42 AM
Hi all,

I have managed to include the microcode for the HP-97 calculator into the MultiCalc and makes the kit able to emulate 26 models now. Harald's controller can also use this model. Not bad for a $3.00 chip.

This took quite a lot of code modifications to accomplish and I must say, a touch of ingenuity to squeeze it in. The printer functions will work through the USB interface to the PC emulator like the other printer models do. The HP-97 and the HP-67 can both use each others programs as the card storage format is the same.

The keyboard for the HP-97 is way different than the other models, so I modelled the key interface so that it resembles the HP-67. The key functions are nearly the same anyway. Of course, the program display will show the original key codes and will not match the MultiCalc keyboard, but there is a new HP97 key overlay for the MultiCalc and Haralds Classic controller.

There are 3 switches for the 97. The multiCalc top switch is for ON/OFF and PRGM/RUN modes and works similar to the HP-19C. The other switch is for the 3 printer modes.

Due to the PIC code modifications, a full chip reprogram is required, so the update procedure will require 2 passes. The PC programmer interface window will list the simple instructions that are required.

I think that will be about it for this PIC chip. There is still 4K bytes of ROM space available but not enough to add more models so that will be saved for modifications.

cheers

Tony
03-02-2018, 08:41 AM
(03-02-2018 07:42 AM)teenix Wrote:  Hi all,

I have managed to include the microcode for the HP-97 calculator into the MultiCalc and makes the kit able to emulate 26 models now. Harald's controller can also use this model. Not bad for a $3.00 chip.

This took quite a lot of code modifications to accomplish and I must say, a touch of ingenuity to squeeze it in. The printer functions will work through the USB interface to the PC emulator like the other printer models do. The HP-97 and the HP-67 can both use each others programs as the card storage format is the same.

The keyboard for the HP-97 is way different than the other models, so I modelled the key interface so that it resembles the HP-67. The key functions are nearly the same anyway. Of course, the program display will show the original key codes and will not match the MultiCalc keyboard, but there is a new HP97 key overlay for the MultiCalc and Haralds Classic controller.

There are 3 switches for the 97. The multiCalc top switch is for ON/OFF and PRGM/RUN modes and works similar to the HP-19C. The other switch is for the 3 printer modes.

Due to the PIC code modifications, a full chip reprogram is required, so the update procedure will require 2 passes. The PC programmer interface window will list the simple instructions that are required.

I think that will be about it for this PIC chip. There is still 4K bytes of ROM space available but not enough to add more models so that will be saved for modifications.

cheers

Tony

Wow! Now I know why you have gone quiet for some time. You have been busy doing all this.
Bernhard, Nate and Meindert, I was just about to pack your boards, bit I will update to the new version before doing so.

Cheers,
Harald
03-02-2018, 10:20 AM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2018 10:22 AM by fhub.)
Hi Tony,

your last 2 updates (28.02. and 02.03.) of the HP-91 don't work anymore - error message at start.
Since it also creates a cce97.ini again (something I've reported some time ago and you already fixed it), I guess you've by mistake switched back to the old buggy HP-91 code again.

Regards,
Franz
03-02-2018, 08:01 PM
(03-02-2018 10:20 AM)fhub Wrote:  Hi Tony,

your last 2 updates (28.02. and 02.03.) of the HP-91 don't work anymore - error message at start.
Since it also creates a cce97.ini again (something I've reported some time ago and you already fixed it), I guess you've by mistake switched back to the old buggy HP-91 code again.

Regards,
Franz

Sorry, I accidently copied some files from an older directory.

Now fixed.

cheers

Tony
03-18-2018, 05:35 AM
Hi all,

The MultiCalc has been updated again.

I have managed to add the HP-46 printing calculator, which means it is now capable of emulating 27 different models.

The HP-46 functionality is almost identical to the HP-45 and therefore I was able to use the microcode from that model. There are a couple of differences with the HP46 having two additional Clear functions and of course the printer interface.

To make it work, the PIC code continually monitors the running HP microcode and will determine what needs to be printed. If printer output is required, the PIC will send the printer commands to the PC via the USB port and the emulator program will print the data in the same font as the original mechanical printer from the HP-46. Example attached.

The HP-46 also has print commands for displaying the stack and memory etc. and these extra functions have been assigned to some shifted number keys.

The top switch for my board controls the power and also turns the printer on or off.

Haralds controller has also been updated and can also simulate the HP-46, and has a new menu item for printer on/off.

HP-46 keyboard overlays are available for both boards in the download.

Update available from http://www.teenix.org

cheers

Tony

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

03-18-2018, 03:08 PM
(03-18-2018 05:35 AM)teenix Wrote:  Hi all,

The MultiCalc has been updated again.

I have managed to add the HP-46 printing calculator, which means it is now capable of emulating 27 different models.

The HP-46 functionality is almost identical to the HP-45 and therefore I was able to use the microcode from that model. There are a couple of differences with the HP46 having two additional Clear functions and of course the printer interface.

To make it work, the PIC code continually monitors the running HP microcode and will determine what needs to be printed. If printer output is required, the PIC will send the printer commands to the PC via the USB port and the emulator program will print the data in the same font as the original mechanical printer from the HP-46. Example attached.

The HP-46 also has print commands for displaying the stack and memory etc. and these extra functions have been assigned to some shifted number keys.

The top switch for my board controls the power and also turns the printer on or off.

Haralds controller has also been updated and can also simulate the HP-46, and has a new menu item for printer on/off.

HP-46 keyboard overlays are available for both boards in the download.

Update available from http://www.teenix.org

cheers

Tony

Wow! It is impressive how you manage to squeeze in ever more models! When do we get the 81? ;-)
03-18-2018, 07:12 PM
(03-18-2018 03:08 PM)Harald Wrote:  Wow! It is impressive how you manage to squeeze in ever more models! When do we get the 81? ;-)

I did manage to get the HP-81 running as a calculator and printer, however for this model, the financial formulas shown in the owners manual are complex and some are a little vague. I'm definitely not a financial mathematician, so so I probably won't be able to get it to work fully.

cheers

Tony

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

03-27-2018, 10:44 PM
Hi all,

A new MultiCalc update is available from teenix.org.

I have added a programmable timer that will put the calculator into low power idle mode when the timer expires. The timer can be programmed to provide 1 to 10 minute delay, or it can be disabled. The default setting is 5 minutes.

On timer expiry, the calculator will halt its operation and turn off the display. When any key is pressed, the calculator will resume whatever it was doing.

The idle timer is temporarily disabled while the HP45 or HP55 timer is active.

This function has not been implemented for Haralds module because, even if the PIC shuts down, Haralds module and the original HP display circuitry still draws a reasonable amount of battery current.

cheers

Tony
03-28-2018, 09:30 AM
(03-27-2018 10:44 PM)teenix Wrote:  I have added a programmable timer that will put the calculator into low power idle mode when the timer expires. The timer can be programmed to provide 1 to 10 minute delay, or it can be disabled. The default setting is 5 minutes.

Hi Tony,

where can this new timer be programmed?
I don't see such a new feature in the options menu.

BTW, all your CCE33.exe compiles are dated 2.7.2016, no matter which new version or update!?

Regards,
Franz
03-28-2018, 09:52 AM
(03-28-2018 09:30 AM)fhub Wrote:  
(03-27-2018 10:44 PM)teenix Wrote:  I have added a programmable timer that will put the calculator into low power idle mode when the timer expires. The timer can be programmed to provide 1 to 10 minute delay, or it can be disabled. The default setting is 5 minutes.

Hi Tony,

where can this new timer be programmed?
I don't see such a new feature in the options menu.

BTW, all your CCE33.exe compiles are dated 2.7.2016, no matter which new version or update!?

Regards,
Franz

The timer is part of the MultiCalc PIC code and can be programmed from the program interface window by selecting the [Power To Idle Delay] radio button, then either [Write] or [Read]. It is there to enhance the battery life if the calculator was left on, but unused for a period of time.

I'm not sure, but the date might be referring to the original creation date and not the modified date.

cheers

Tony
06-08-2018, 04:27 PM
I am happy to report that using Tony's outstanding documentation, I was able to solder together my own kit. He helped by pre-soldering the ftdi chip and usb port and a couple of capacitors, but I did the rest. Fun!

Looking over enclosure options, I found this at amazon(US) for only 7USD

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L...9TL9&psc=1

https://www.hammfg.com/files/parts/pdf/1553DBK.pdf

https://www.hammfg.com/electronics/small...astic/1553

For that price, I'll try cutting out holes in the front for the switches and display.
Then, I want to try making a transparent plastic overlay under which I can place inkjet printed paper labels...maybe.

It's a nice size if I can get it to fit.
You can even buy IR transparent end plates and belt clips for this series of cases!
06-08-2018, 04:58 PM
I think I’ve looked through all pages of this thread , but can’t find any real life photo’s of the thing?

Anyone?
06-08-2018, 06:09 PM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2018 06:10 PM by jwhsu.)
(06-08-2018 04:58 PM)Zaphod Wrote:  I think I’ve looked through all pages of this thread , but can’t find any real life photo’s of the thing?

Anyone?

There is a picture of an assembled calculator kit on his website.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)