Multi Calculator Kit
10-26-2017, 10:21 PM
RE: Multi Calculator Kit
(10-26-2017 09:27 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  I'll take one assembled kit please.

To be clear, is this a complete calculator, or just the CPU board?

Which subsystems are included, among:

CPU/RAM/ROM(s)
Power supply
Keyboard
Display

And does the board have a USB interface (e.g. for updating and/or loading/saving programs/data?)

Note the bold but clear indications of addiction here: "I'll take one please, but what exactly is it?"

The project will be complete and fully working but only on a circuit board. It will emulate the 19 models mentioned at the start of the thread.
Yes, there is a USB interface that can update its own software if required. That will require a cheap interface to connect the board to the PC though.

Something like this

https://www.miniinthebox.com/ft232rl-usb...41516.html

I am not including it on the board as it may never be needed, however, there will be a socket for this type of module.

cheers

Tony
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-26-2017, 10:30 PM
(10-26-2017 10:12 PM)BarryMead Wrote:  I would love to know more before I decide to add my name to the list.
The questions that come to mind are:
1. How much does the kit cost? Cost with assembly?
2. Does the board require an old HP calculator to complete the kit?
3. If so which old HP calculators are compatible with the keyboard spacing?
4. If it is compatible with an HP-35 and HP-45 then how can it be compatible with
and HP-25, because the two are very different in keyboard spacing and size?
5. Do you need to provide your own display? Display drivers? Display board?
6. Do you plan to offer a complete calculator kit including display, keyboard,
I realize that a case is beyond the capability of home-brew kit designers, but
if it resembled the NP-25 board for example where it was a fully functioning calculator with buttons and display, but no case that would be very nice.

I only ask these questions, because from the descriptions in the thread thus far
it is not obvious what the kit includes.

Thanks, Barry Mead

Hi Barry,

1. As mentioned about $Aus50.00.
2. This version doesn't need a HP calculator.
3. The key layout was given as a mock up in an earlier post in this thread
4,. The top keyboard row is unused for the HP2x and HP3x series. Except that some of these keys are used to select a different calculator model.
5. No, they will be supplied or assembled if required
6. They will be complete.

I am going to try and make the board sit in a freely available small plastic case, but I won't be supplying them as the end user might have better ideas.

As an update...

I finally figured out how the HP29C and HP34C manage their constant memory functions and have programmed the PIC to mimic the operation. Both seem fine.

cheers

Tony
10-27-2017, 06:25 AM
Ok you convinced me. Put me down for one assembled kit.
10-27-2017, 06:38 AM
One for me, assembled, please.

Thank you Tony.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-27-2017, 07:11 AM
(10-26-2017 09:27 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  And does the board have a USB interface (e.g. for updating and/or loading/saving programs/data?)

This got me thinking this afternoon - so much on my mind Smile

I decided to include the USB interface into the kit circuit as it is actually needed.

Apart from being able to update its own software, the kit is able to provide storage for just over 800 programs for the HP65 and HP67. These can be stored or recalled directly from the calculator as would happen in normal operation, or via the USB interface from stored files. The software is also able to transfer complete libraries in one go.

The memory in the PIC is getting a bit tight now, but it might just be possible to "squeeze" in the HP19C later on and my idea is to use the USB port to transfer the 19C's printer output to the PC. This can then be printed to paper if desired. I've already designed the HP printer font for this calculator so it should look pretty cool.

cheers

Tony
10-27-2017, 08:03 AM
Do you host a repository for the code of the firmware somewhere?

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
10-27-2017, 12:24 PM
One assembled kit for me please, Tony.
10-27-2017, 05:51 PM (This post was last modified: 10-27-2017 05:57 PM by Mark Hardman.)
Does this include the memory for simulating the HP-65/HP-67 card reader? If so, so does it store the original spec of 51 programs or does it store the possible 819 (http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-9305.html)?

Like Bob, I'm not 100% sure of what I'll receive, but, as an addict/collector, I still want one.

Assembled and tested please.

ETA: Guess I should read to the end of the thread before posting. Since the board supports the storage of 800+ programs, I'm definitely in for one--likely two.

Mark Hardman

Ceci n'est pas une signature.
10-27-2017, 08:22 PM
(10-27-2017 08:03 AM)pier4r Wrote:  Do you host a repository for the code of the firmware somewhere?

I've managed to scrimp a few $ and reactivated my web site at teenix.org so the project will be available from there when ready.

The PC program will be an upgraded version of the emulator already there.

cheers

Tony
10-28-2017, 04:50 AM
Hi all,

I managed to squeeze in the microcode for the HP19c.

Still a lot to do to implement the "internals" and the printer interface, but at least the bulk of it fitted in.

Replicating the OFF/PRG/RUN switch is difficult in the hardware I have set up. I need a special switch which is available but will add about $2.50 to the cost to the project. I suppose not too bad for a HP19c to play with.

cheers

Tony
10-28-2017, 08:24 AM (This post was last modified: 10-28-2017 02:13 PM by PANAMATIK.)
The year 2017 is the year of the multi calculator kits. Three different multi calculator boards are in development. Teenix probably the most complete on a dedicated board, Harald a replacement board for the Classic series based on teenix software, and my "Low Power" board for the Woodstock hardware.

Here a brief comparison as far as I know

Teenix:
All Classic 35/45/55/65/70/80, all Woodstock 21/22/25/27/29 all Spice 31/32/33/34/37/38 and 67 and 19C running on a new developed board with own keyboard.
Some of the models are simulations rather than true emulations. (Correction added: ALL models are true emulations)
Using 16-bit PIC PIC18F47K40 with 128k Flash memory
Easy to assemble or ready to use PCB.

Harald:
All classic 35/45/55/65/70/80 (Correction added: also all Woodstock and Spice models like teenix's) running on a board which fits into the Classic hardware, using the original case and keyboard. Easy to fit into the calculator just by plugging in.
Based on teenix software with dedicated Classic display driver interface
using 8-bit PIC processor (Correction added: using Renesas processor with DMA Cntroller)

Panamatik:
Classic 35/45/55/70/80, all Woodstock 21/22/25/27/29 all Spice 31/32/33/34/37/38 and 67 running on any Woodstock hardware using he original case and keyboard.
Based on new ACT software with many extensions. True emulations of all calculators.
Using 8-bit PIC16LF1819 with 32k Flash and 512k external Flash, IR printing, GPS receiver, Real Time Clock. Relatively difficult to plug in, because two ICs have to be unsoldered and modifications of the board have to be done.

The race is on. Who will have finished his software first. I'm still struggling

Bernhard

That's one small step for a man - one giant leap for mankind.
10-28-2017, 09:45 AM
(10-28-2017 08:24 AM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  The year 2017 is the year of the multi calculator kits.
Some of the models are simulations rather than true emulations.

Bernhard

Certainly seems that way :-)

I guess the hardware in the multi calculator is nothing like the originals, but all 20 models are running the true microcode. The PIC also simulates the card reader and printer interface controller, so the HP67 uses its own routines to read/write the "cards" and the 19c does the same and makes the data available to the "printer". Even the HP45 has the RCL ENTER enabled for the timer.

I cant race the next bit, circuit and PCB design. Might get expensive :-)

cheers

Tony
10-28-2017, 09:45 AM
Who really minds which is first? I certainly don't. I'll likely get all of them Smile

Pauli
10-28-2017, 09:56 AM
(10-28-2017 08:24 AM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  The year 2017 is the year of the multi calculator kits. Three different multi calculator boards are in development. Teenix probably the most complete on a dedicated board, Harald a replacement board for the Classic series based on teenix software, and my "Low Power" board for the Woodstock hardware.

Here a brief comparison as far as I know

Teenix:
All Classic 35/45/55/65/70/80, all Woodstock 21/22/25/27/29 all Spice 31/32/33/34/37/38 and 67 and 19C running on a new developed board with own keyboard.
Some of the models are simulations rather than true emulations.
Using 16-bit PIC PIC18F47K40 with 128k Flash memory
Easy to assemble or ready to use PCB.

Harald:
All classic 35/45/55/65/70/80 running on a board which fits into the Classic hardware, using the original case and keyboard. Easy to fit into the calculator just by plugging in.
Based on teenix software with dedicated Classic display driver interface
using 8-bit PIC processor

Panamatik:
Classic 35/45/55/70/80, all Woodstock 21/22/25/27/29 all Spice 31/32/33/34/37/38 and 67 running on any Woodstock hardware using he original case and keyboard.
Based on new ACT software with many extensions. True emulations of all calculators.
Using 8-bit PIC16LF1819 with 32k Flash and 512k external Flash, IR printing, GPS receiver, Real Time Clock. Relatively difficult to plug in, because two ICs have to be unsoldered and modifications of the board have to be done.

Bernhard

Hi Bernhard,

As far as I know, all the models included in Tonys software are true emulations running the original microcode.
My bord will support all the modells Tonys board does.
The big advantage of using the original display drivers is, that no soldering is required and the modification is fully and easily reversable. The downside is that the display drivers cannot be turned off and therefore a low power version is not possible. The difficulty with the original HP display drivers is, that they supply the system clock and data to the drivers has to be synchronised to that clock and the timing needs to be fairly accurate. This is why I have used a (renesas) controller with a DMA to interface between Tonys PIC and the HP display drivers.

The Main advantages of Bernhards boards is above all (in my opinion) the low power mode and all the fancy festures on top of the emulation of the original models.

Cheers,
Harald
10-28-2017, 10:01 AM
(10-28-2017 09:45 AM)Paul Dale Wrote:  Who really minds which is first? I certainly don't. I'll likely get all of them Smile

Pauli

Was just joking. Smile If it would be a race, I would need a box stop now. The engine (the compiler) is making big trouble. Nevertheless I could make progress. Spice HP32E is working since yesterday. It had am obvious bug also in my PC emulator, which nobody cared about. And HP-35 had also a bug (not in PC emulator), which is now fixed.

Bernhard

10-28-2017, 10:04 AM
Sorry Bernhard, I think my grey matter is getting too old. I understand now - re the emulators. Amazing stuff. I could not come close to your hardware designs.

The struggling part I do understand :-)

cheers

Tony
10-28-2017, 10:09 AM (This post was last modified: 10-28-2017 02:16 PM by PANAMATIK.)
(10-28-2017 09:56 AM)Harald Wrote:  Hi Bernhard,

As far as I know, all the models included in Tonys software are true emulations running the original microcode.
My bord will support all the modells Tonys board does.
The big advantage of using the original display drivers is, that no soldering is required and the modification is fully and easily reversable. The downside is that the display drivers cannot be turned off and therefore a low power version is not possible. The difficulty with the original HP display drivers is, that they supply the system clock and data to the drivers has to be synchronised to that clock and the timing needs to be fairly accurate. This is why I have used a (renesas) controller with a DMA to interface between Tonys PIC and the HP display drivers.

The Main advantages of Bernhards boards is above all (in my opinion) the low power mode and all the fancy features on top of the emulation of the original models.

Cheers,
Harald

Thanks for the corrections. I didn't know Tony emulates all the ROM codes. I just calculated how this could be done with 128k Flash. The sum of all ROM codes of all models is more than 128k. Surely he compressed the 10-bit codes, this would be still 80-100k, but leaving about the same amount for PIC code as in my concept.

I will definitely want to have your Classic board.

Bernhard

10-28-2017, 10:16 AM (This post was last modified: 10-28-2017 02:16 PM by PANAMATIK.)
(10-28-2017 10:04 AM)teenix Wrote:  Sorry Bernhard, I think my grey matter is getting too old. I understand now - re the emulators. Amazing stuff. I could not come close to your hardware designs.

The struggling part I do understand :-)

cheers

Tony

And I could not come close to your assembler designs.
Thanks for the struggling part. "shared suffering is half sorry". Smile

cheers
Bernhard

10-28-2017, 11:13 AM
One assembled for me too.

Thanks for the effort to bring this project for us.

Cheers
10-28-2017, 12:08 PM
(10-28-2017 09:45 AM)Paul Dale Wrote:  Who really minds which is first? I certainly don't. I'll likely get all of them Smile

Pauli

I second this thought. Quality is what is important and all the projects are great

Wikis are great, Contribute :)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)