41CL Self-Update
10-21-2017, 02:07 PM
RE: 41CL Self-Update
(10-21-2017 02:42 AM)Nate Martin Wrote:  the V3 had 236 roms updated and the V4 had 99 roms updated.
Great news, 2 more 41CL updated! Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-21-2017, 10:06 PM (This post was last modified: 10-21-2017 10:08 PM by Mark Hardman.)
(10-21-2017 02:07 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  Great news, 2 more 41CL updated! Smile

Sylvain,

You are a god! I just finished updating 109 images on my V2 board. From the start of FLCHK? to the completion of FLUPD, it took about 2h 24m. I cannot believe how thoroughly the update process has been simplified.

At the completion of the initial update, I was slightly disappointed that the OS sector had not been touched. I thought I'd drop by this thread and suggest updating the OS as a future feature. But in glancing through your excellent documentation, I noticed the Mode Control commands. I quickly set OSUPDT and, just to be sure, AUTOVFY; re-ran a FLCHK? on page 0x000; and performed a FLUPD on the five out-of-date images in the OS sector. Boom! Done in under 10 minutes.

I now need to update my V3 board. It should take less time, as I've been trying to keep it updated manually.

Thank you for the time and effort you've put into this utility.

Mark Hardman

Ceci n'est pas une signature.
10-21-2017, 11:49 PM (This post was last modified: 10-22-2017 06:23 AM by Sylvain Cote.)
Hello Mark,
I am happy that you like it, but most of the recognition should go to Monte Dalrymple.
He took the lead of this project, wrote the YUPD update ROM and the great documentation.
My part was to write the Java program, do the alpha/beta testing and do the HHC-2017 presentation.
I am currently writing a manual for the java program but unfortunately free time is scarce at this moment and it's not finished, sorry about that.
Best regards,
Sylvain
Edit: typo
10-23-2017, 10:37 PM (This post was last modified: 10-23-2017 10:47 PM by BobVA.)
Turned into a bit of an adventure here.

- I couldn't get anything to work (comm errors) without having the CL(v2) in turbo50

- Things went pretty well after that for a bit, but after successfully running FLCHK? (reported 89 updates needed) I couldn't get FLUDP to work, it resulted in a "NONEXISTENT" error on the CL.

UPDAT2B is show in CAT2 (but with -EXT FCN 3A shown below it instead of the "3B" shown in the documentation).

As I'm sure you can tell from the number of files that need updating, it's not been updated since 2014 (when Monte kindly did so to correct an issue).

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Bob
10-24-2017, 03:28 AM
(10-23-2017 10:37 PM)BobVA Wrote:  - I couldn't get anything to work (comm errors) without having the CL(v2) in turbo50
That's strange, Monte told me that all functions in the update rom are internally executed at 50x speed.

(10-23-2017 10:37 PM)BobVA Wrote:  - Things went pretty well after that for a bit, but after successfully running FLCHK? (reported 89 updates needed) I couldn't get FLUDP to work, it resulted in a "NONEXISTENT" error on the CL.
It's like the MMU has been turned off, have you unplugged/plugged the serial cable ?
Unplugging/plugging the serial cable more often than not turn off the MMU.

// try this:
XEQ "MMU?" // the result will be either YES or NO,

// if NO, then type:
XEQ "MMUEN"

// then do a:
CAT 2
// report what you are seeing here please

(10-23-2017 10:37 PM)BobVA Wrote:  UPDAT2B is show in CAT2 (but with -EXT FCN 3A shown below it instead of the "3B" shown in the documentation).
FLCHK? is doing the scanning part and FLUPD is doing the updating part.
Because FLUDP did not worked, no update has been done.

Sylvain
10-24-2017, 03:57 AM (This post was last modified: 10-24-2017 04:51 PM by BobVA.)
(10-24-2017 03:28 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  It's like the MMU has been turned off, have you unplugged/plugged the serial cable ?
Unplugging/plugging the serial cable more often than not turn off the MMU.
Sylvain

Nope, I didn't unplug the serial cable. FLCHK? finished normally and I then immediately put "*" in alpha register then executed "FLUPD", which didn't do anything because of the "NONEXISTENT" error.

The CAT 2 listing after transferring/installing the update ROM matches what's shown in the HHC presentation documentation, with the exception of the "3A" noted above instead of the "3B" listed in the "-EXT FCN 3x" line.

I checked CAT 2 immediately after getting the NONEXISTENT error and it still was the same as it was after I transferred / installed the update ROM image.

Is is possible I've got the wrong version of YFNX? I have version 1G on my CL and I noticed your example shows 2C. Would that make a difference? Or is everything I need in the update ROM image (i.e. FLUPD)?

Not sure what to tell you about the turbo50 command. Without it I couldn't even move the update ROM image over, even at 1200 bps. The transfer would end on a "Timeout" on the CL and then the CRC wouldn't match. Everything worked fine after setting turbo50, though. Could this also be an issue with the version of YFNX I've got? Is YIMP supposed to also set turbo50 and perhaps mine doesn't?

Thanks!
Bob
10-24-2017, 11:31 PM (This post was last modified: 10-25-2017 11:49 AM by Sylvain Cote.)
Hello Bob,

Something is not right here, please bear with me ...

Build the update setup:
  • Create a temporary folder, here I will use c:\clupd
  • Download updat-3a.zip to c:\clupd
  • Download rom_files_171001.zip to c:\clupd
  • Download clupdate-1.0.0.zip to c:\clupd
  • Unzip updat-3a.zip to c:\clupd
  • Unzip clupdate-1.0.0.zip to c:\clupd
  • Start a command line (if it's not already done)
  • c: [RETURN]
  • cd \clupd [RETURN]
  • dir [RETURN]
    -> you should see the following:
    Code:
    clupdate-1.0.0-readme.txt
    clupdate-1.0.0.jar
    clupdate-1.0.0.zip
    rom_files_20171001.zip
    UPDAT-3A.ROM
    UPDAT-3A.ZIP
  • java -jar clupdate-1.0.0.jar [RETURN]
    Code:
    command     parameter(s)                          description
    ----------- ----------------------------------- + -----------------------------
    --help                                          | list available commands
    --manual                                        | show users' manual
    --list      file-or-dir-name                    | list rom_files content
    --validate  file-or-dir-name                    | validate rom_files content
    --diff      file-or-dir-name file-or-dir-name   | show diff between rom files
    --update    file-dir-name serial-port baud-rate | update to rom_files content
    --upload    filename serial-port baud-rate      | upload ROM image to a 41CL
    --download  filename serial-port baud-rate      | dwnload ROM image from a 41CL

Connect your serial cable to the 41CL and to the PC before doing the following ...

Redo the 41CL basic setup:
  • MMUDIS
  • MMUCLR
  • TURBO50
  • "YFNX"
  • PLUG1L
  • MMUEN
  • ON
  • CAT 2
    Code:
    -YFNX 2C ///// more probably, a previous version of it

Upload to the 41CL the latest UPDAT-3A.ROM file
  • On the calculator:
    • SERINI
    • BAUD ///// then enter 48 on __ prompt
    • "80F000-0FFF"
    • [XEQ][ALPHA]YIMP ///// this leave YIMP pending, we will press the second [ALPHA] later
  • On the computer:
    • java -jar clupdate-1.0.0.jar --upload UPDAT-3A.ROM COM5 4800 [RETURN]
      -> replace the 5 in COM5 with your real COM port number
      Code:
      HH:MM:SS --upload    [fileName: UPDAT-3A.ROM] [portName: COM5] [baudRate: 4800]
      HH:MM:SS File       UPDAT-3A.ROM loading ...  done [YCRC=0x8D9DEE9B Rev:2017-09-23]
      HH:MM:SS Serial     COM5 opened.
      HH:MM:SS Sleeping   5 seconds before starting file transfer
  • On the calculator:
    • [ALPHA] ///// effectively starting the YIMP process
      Code:
      RECEIVING
  • On the computer
      Code:
      HH:MM:SS Sending    8192 = 8192 bytes sent
      HH:MM:SS Serial     COM5 closed.
  • On the calculator:
    • "80F"
    • YCRC
      Code:
      8D9DEE9B
    • "-80F 9"
    • PPLUG
    • CAT 2
      Code:
      UPDAT 3A

Do the update process
  • On the computer:
    • java -jar clupdate-1.0.0.jar --update rom_files_20171001.zip COM5 4800 [RETURN]
      Code:
      HH:MM:SS --update   [fileName: rom_files_20171001.zip] [portName: COM5] [baudRate: 4800]
      HH:MM:SS File       rom_files_20171001.zip loading ... done
      HH:MM:SS Serial     COM5 opened at 4800 baud.
      HH:MM:SS Waiting    for 41CL commands ...
  • On the calculator:
    • CMOPEN
      Code:
      HH:MM:SS Received   OPEN_CHANNEL_REQUEST(0x41)
      HH:MM:SS Sent       OPEN_CHANNEL_RESPONSE(0x42)
    • "*"
    • FLCHK?
      -> you should see the Outdated ROM images report on the computer at the end of the check
    • "*"
    • FLUPD
      -> you should see update activity on the calculator and on the computer
    • CDBEXP
      -> you should see 0 outdated on the Outdated ROM images report on the computer
    • CMCLOSE

Good luck! Smile

Best regards,

Sylvain

PS: If it failed, please report all the messages that you see on the calculator and on the computer.

edit1: typo
edit2: add a last CDBEXP on the procedure
edit3: removed the CDBVER? check
10-25-2017, 02:02 AM (This post was last modified: 10-25-2017 05:17 AM by BobVA.)
Thanks Sylvain!

The CDBVER? function reported [edit] 10/01/2014 - thanks Bob! [/edit], which was a little confusing since I ran it yesterday. Just to be sure I'm rerunning FLCHK? now. Will update this to let you know what happens.

UPDATE:

Worked much better, successfully plowing though over a hundred updates and reporting "UPDATE DONE" on the 41.

However when I get to the last CDBEXP I get:

Code:
00:55:26 Received   CORR_FLDB_2MB_EXPORT_REQUEST(0x4B)
00:55:26 Sent       CORR_FLDB_2MB_EXPORT_RESPONSE(0x4C)
00:55:26 Receiving  2184 2184 2184 1640 = 8192 bytes received
00:55:45 File       CFLDB_V2.ROM saved
00:55:45 Report     Outdated ROM images [boardGeneration: FIRST]
00:55:45 Report     XFNS3-3B.ROM    [Page:0x003 ID:XFN3 Rev:2014-11-24 YCRC:0xA270BAF7]
00:55:45 Report     YFNZ-4F.ROM     [Page:0x007 ID:YFNZ Rev:2017-06-19 YCRC:0x3650EF10]
00:55:45 Report     Summary: 2 outdated of 256 ROM images

And I'm not sure if that's a problem or not? I tried re-running entire procedure after restarting the 41 to a "MEMORY LOST" state (but skipping the FLCHK?). FLUPD finished in just a second with no messages on the PC side and with the same result from CDBEXP.

Thanks again for the help!

Bob
10-25-2017, 02:37 AM
(10-25-2017 02:02 AM)BobVA Wrote:  The CDBVER? function reported 10/14/2017, which was a little confusing since I ran it yesterday. Just to be sure I'm rerunning FLCHK? now. Will update this to let you know what happens.

CDBVER? returns the date stamp of the FCDB for the ROM pkg. you are updating to, not the date the operation was performed on. Which ROM pkg did you use, it appears that 10/01/17 is the latest set available at http://www.systemyde.com/hp41/files.html

--Bob Prosperi
10-25-2017, 04:53 AM
(10-25-2017 02:37 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  Which ROM pkg did you use, it appears that 10/01/17 is the latest set available...

Oops - typo. It was in fact 10/01/2017.

Thanks for the explanation!
10-25-2017, 05:43 AM
(10-25-2017 02:02 AM)BobVA Wrote:  Thanks Sylvain!

The CDBVER? function reported [edit] 10/01/2014 - thanks Bob! [/edit], which was a little confusing since I ran it yesterday. Just to be sure I'm rerunning FLCHK? now. Will update this to let you know what happens.

UPDATE:

Worked much better, successfully plowing though over a hundred updates and reporting "UPDATE DONE" on the 41.

However when I get to the last CDBEXP I get:

Code:
00:55:26 Received   CORR_FLDB_2MB_EXPORT_REQUEST(0x4B)
00:55:26 Sent       CORR_FLDB_2MB_EXPORT_RESPONSE(0x4C)
00:55:26 Receiving  2184 2184 2184 1640 = 8192 bytes received
00:55:45 File       CFLDB_V2.ROM saved
00:55:45 Report     Outdated ROM images [boardGeneration: FIRST]
00:55:45 Report     XFNS3-3B.ROM    [Page:0x003 ID:XFN3 Rev:2014-11-24 YCRC:0xA270BAF7]
00:55:45 Report     YFNZ-4F.ROM     [Page:0x007 ID:YFNZ Rev:2017-06-19 YCRC:0x3650EF10]
00:55:45 Report     Summary: 2 outdated of 256 ROM images

And I'm not sure if that's a problem or not? I tried re-running entire procedure after restarting the 41 to a "MEMORY LOST" state (but skipping the FLCHK?). FLUPD finished in just a second with no messages on the PC side and with the same result from CDBEXP.

Thanks again for the help!

Bob

By default FLUPD does NOT update the OS sector of Flash memory (pages 0x000 -
0x007). The report is saying that two pages in the OS sector are out-of-date.
Your CL will function just fine with the older software, but if you want to update
the OS sector you must explicitly enable that functionality. This is all explained
in the manual. I did it this way because updating the OS sector is dangerous,
and if something goes wrong only I can fix it. So READ THE MANUAL before
attempting it, and be aware that erasing the OS sector takes eight times as long
as regular sectors. So the CL will sit there, saying "ERS 000" for longer than you
might expect. Just leave it alone and let it do its thing!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-25-2017, 07:02 AM (This post was last modified: 10-25-2017 07:05 AM by BobVA.)
(10-25-2017 05:43 AM)Monte Dalrymple Wrote:  By default FLUPD does NOT update the OS sector of Flash memory (pages 0x000 -
0x007). The report is saying that two pages in the OS sector are out-of-date.
Your CL will function just fine with the older software, but if you want to update
the OS sector you must explicitly enable that functionality. This is all explained
in the manual. I did it this way because updating the OS sector is dangerous,
and if something goes wrong only I can fix it. So READ THE MANUAL before
attempting it, and be aware that erasing the OS sector takes eight times as long
as regular sectors. So the CL will sit there, saying "ERS 000" for longer than you
might expect. Just leave it alone and let it do its thing!

Thanks Monte!! I just read the update manual and now see how that works. (I also take your point on the potential for disaster, so I'll leave well enough alone until there's a pressing need to update the OS.)

This is a *fantastic* set of software and procedures. I'd been very reluctant to attempt updating the flash on the CL but this was sufficiently un-scary that I figured even I could do it. :-) Thanks again to you and Sylvain!

Regards,
Bob
10-27-2017, 07:00 PM
(10-24-2017 11:31 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  Hello Bob,

Something is not right here, please bear with me ...

Build the update setup:
  • Create a temporary folder, here I will use c:\clupd
  • Download updat-3a.zip to c:\clupd
  • Download rom_files_171001.zip to c:\clupd
  • Download clupdate-1.0.0.zip to c:\clupd
  • Unzip updat-3a.zip to c:\clupd
  • Unzip clupdate-1.0.0.zip to c:\clupd
  • Start a command line (if it's not already done)
  • c: [RETURN]
  • cd \clupd [RETURN]
  • dir [RETURN]
    Code:
    clupdate-1.0.0-readme.txt
    clupdate-1.0.0.jar
    clupdate-1.0.0.zip
    rom_files_20171001.zip
    UPDAT-3A.ROM
    UPDAT-3A.ZIP
  • java -jar clupdate-1.0.0.jar [RETURN]
    Code:
    command     parameter(s)                          description
    ----------- ----------------------------------- + -----------------------------
    --help                                          | list available commands
    --manual                                        | show users' manual
    --list      file-or-dir-name                    | list rom_files content
    --validate  file-or-dir-name                    | validate rom_files content
    --diff      file-or-dir-name file-or-dir-name   | show diff between rom files
    --update    file-dir-name serial-port baud-rate | update to rom_files content
    --upload    filename serial-port baud-rate      | upload ROM image to a 41CL
    --download  filename serial-port baud-rate      | dwnload ROM image from a 41CL

Connect your serial cable to the 41CL and to the PC before doing the following ...

Redo the 41CL basic setup:
  • MMUDIS
  • MMUCLR
  • TURBO50
  • "YFNX"
  • PLUG1L
  • MMUEN
  • ON
  • CAT 2
    Code:

Upload to the 41CL the latest UPDAT-3A.ROM file
  • On the calculator:
    • SERINI
    • BAUD ///// then enter 48 on __ prompt
    • "80F000-0FFF"
    • [XEQ][ALPHA]YIMP ///// this leave YIMP pending, we will press the second [ALPHA] later
  • On the computer:
    • java -jar clupdate-1.0.0.jar --upload UPDAT-3A.ROM COM5 4800 [RETURN]
      Code:
      HH:MM:SS --upload    [fileName: UPDAT-3A.ROM] [portName: COM5] [baudRate: 4800]
      HH:MM:SS File       UPDAT-3A.ROM loading ...  done [YCRC=0x8D9DEE9B Rev:2017-09-23]
      HH:MM:SS Serial     COM5 opened.
      HH:MM:SS Sleeping   5 seconds before starting file transfer
  • On the calculator:
    • [ALPHA] ///// effectively starting the YIMP process
      Code:
      RECEIVING
  • On the computer
      Code:
      HH:MM:SS Sending    8192 = 8192 bytes sent
      HH:MM:SS Serial     COM5 closed.
  • On the calculator:
    • "80F"
    • YCRC
      Code:
      8D9DEE9B
    • "-80F 9"
    • PPLUG
    • CAT 2
      Code:
      UPDAT 3A

Do the update process
  • On the computer:
    • java -jar clupdate-1.0.0.jar --update rom_files_20171001.zip COM5 4800 [RETURN]
      Code:
      HH:MM:SS --update   [fileName: rom_files_20171001.zip] [portName: COM5] [baudRate: 4800]
      HH:MM:SS File       rom_files_20171001.zip loading ... done
      HH:MM:SS Serial     COM5 opened at 4800 baud.
      HH:MM:SS Waiting    for 41CL commands ...
  • On the calculator:
    • CMOPEN
      Code:
      HH:MM:SS Received   OPEN_CHANNEL_REQUEST(0x41)
      HH:MM:SS Sent       OPEN_CHANNEL_RESPONSE(0x42)
    • "*"
    • FLCHK?
      -> you should see the Outdated ROM images report on the computer at the end of the check
    • "*"
    • FLUPD
      -> you should see update activity on the calculator and on the computer
    • CDBEXP
      -> you should see 0 outdated on the Outdated ROM images report on the computer
    • CMCLOSE

Good luck! Smile

Best regards,

Sylvain

PS: If it failed, please report all the messages that you see on the calculator and on the computer.

edit1: typo
edit2: add a last CDBEXP on the procedure
edit3: removed the CDBVER? check

Hi Sylvain,
even though the above is phantastic and comprehensive enough to run the update, I'd like to ask if there will be an 41CL update Manual / Compendium sometime? Thank you and Monte for the great work!!
Juergen
10-27-2017, 10:23 PM
(10-27-2017 07:00 PM)JurgenRo Wrote:  Hi Sylvain,
even though the above is phantastic and comprehensive enough to run the update, I'd like to ask if there will be an 41CL update Manual / Compendium sometime? Thank you and Monte for the great work!!
Juergen
Hello Juergen,
I have started to write it, so there will be one, but my free time for this is currently 30 minutes per day and I have spent that time answering public/private questions.
I am sorry for the delay, I will publish it as soon as it is ready.
Best regards,
Sylvain
10-28-2017, 08:25 PM
(10-27-2017 10:23 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  
(10-27-2017 07:00 PM)JurgenRo Wrote:  Hi Sylvain,
Juergen
Hello Juergen,
I have started to write it, so there will be one, but my free time for this is currently 30 minutes per day and I have spent that time answering public/private questions.
I am sorry for the delay, I will publish it as soon as it is ready.
Best regards,
Sylvain

Hello Sylvain!
I wholeheartedly appreciate that you are spending your spare time for supporting the 41CL community, really! I'm sure that everybody with a 41CL will wait for the Manual happily and patiently. I've my 41CL V4 board (from 2016 iirc) up and perfectly running. This machine is so capable as it is so that there is no rush for me to update. On the other hand, I'd like to ;-) The "by hand" update process, which I do understand and I could carry out I guess, is but too cumbersome because there is such a great number of updates meanwhile. So, I'm really looking forward to having your Manual and Software and doing the "automated" update sometime :-) Thanks again, Sylvain!!
10-28-2017, 10:07 PM
(10-27-2017 07:00 PM)JurgenRo Wrote:  ... I'd like to ask if there will be an 41CL update Manual / Compendium sometime?

Have you already read this: http://systemyde.com/pdf/cl_update.pdf
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-28-2017, 11:07 PM
(10-28-2017 08:25 PM)JurgenRo Wrote:  So, I'm really looking forward to having your Manual and Software and doing the "automated" update sometime :-) Thanks again, Sylvain!!

Get a copy of the HHC presentation, here's a link. This includes exact, step-by-step instructions for several methods, including the fully automated update. The deck includes precise command sequences (and responses from both the PC and the 41CL) so in many ways it's even better than a typical manual.

http://hhuc.us/2017/files/speakers/Sylva...Update.pdf

Give it a read through (or two) and feel free to ask questions here before you begin. It really is very straightforward, you really can't screw it up. Keep in mind there are several methods described in the deck, so you can ignore the more advanced procedures like manual updates, updating from another CL machine, etc.

2 things to have before you begin:

A. New (or freshly charged) batteries (it could take up to several hours, depending on its age)

B. Plenty of patience.

Also, my suggestion is to skip the optional step of clearing the flag to disable the speaker, as hearing it beep is reassuring to know things are happening as you proceed (at least for the first 50 or so...).

--Bob Prosperi
10-28-2017, 11:45 PM
(10-28-2017 08:25 PM)JurgenRo Wrote:  The "by hand" update process, which I do understand and I could carry out I guess, is but too cumbersome because there is such a great number of updates meanwhile.
So, I'm really looking forward to having your Manual and Software and doing the "automated" update sometime.

Hello Jurgen,
I must say that I am a little lost here.
What you are seeing in this thread is the automated update process.
From the calculator side, you only do open, scan, update, close.
From the computer side, you only run the clupdate program with the needed parameters.
IMHO it cannot be more automated than that with what we currently have.
The only tedious part is the transfer of the update ROM and this is only because it was not part of the Flash space before now.
For sure, the manual will show several update technique, but the basic part will be very similar to the content of this thread.
I am sorry if what you are seeing here is not what you were expecting, I really am, but it is, what it is, and what will be available, at least from me.
Best regards,
Sylvain
10-29-2017, 01:17 AM
Firstly, Sulvain, you are a necromancer of the first order, I bow to you :-)

Secondly the only truly automated system is to send the CL out for update and have it returned :-)

Thirdly, your system is perfect and my version2 will be attempted once I am back to the HP free time mode.

Very busy upgrading my pilot skills to left seat 777 and the 41cl beta version is at my side .

Beta regards to all ;-)

Geoff
10-29-2017, 11:43 AM
(10-28-2017 11:45 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  
(10-28-2017 08:25 PM)JurgenRo Wrote:  The "by hand" update process, which I do understand and I could carry out I guess, is but too cumbersome because there is such a great number of updates meanwhile.
So, I'm really looking forward to having your Manual and Software and doing the "automated" update sometime.

Hello Jurgen,
I must say that I am a little lost here.
What you are seeing in this thread is the automated update process.
From the calculator side, you only do open, scan, update, close.
From the computer side, you only run the clupdate program with the needed parameters.
IMHO it cannot be more automated than that with what we currently have.
The only tedious part is the transfer of the update ROM and this is only because it was not part of the Flash space before now.
For sure, the manual will show several update technique, but the basic part will be very similar to the content of this thread.
I am sorry if what you are seeing here is not what you were expecting, I really am, but it is, what it is, and what will be available, at least from me.
Best regards,
Sylvain

Thank you all very much for your replies, hints and recommendations that I truly do appreciate!

However, I do know the documents cited, which are great! And, yes, I did read them Wink Also, I did watch the HHC update documentation Video of Sylvain, which is awesome. As well as it is the step-by-step instruction of Sylvain in this thread. It is comprehensive (as I said) and I did understand that in fact it constitutes the whole update process.

But then agian, my hope in context with a Manual is to have a nice printable document that sit next to me while I'm updating my machine. The docment, that's what I would wish, should explain not only the process of updating itself but also what is needed on the Computer to get Sylvains' Software running. And, are there glitches with the Installation of the SW (if any) and if so, how to sort out possible Problems.
I know that all the Information and data for a succesful update is there. And I do understand that. But it is so much Information spreaded out here in the Forum and elsewhere (at Montes' page, at HHC) that my feel is, it would be a good idea to have a clean document, stripped down to what is really necessary and comprehensive enough, to give answers if problems occur. I thought that this is the actual idea of the Manual. As far as I did understand you, Sylvain, the Manual will do exactly that. That is the only reason why I'd like to be patient and to have a to-get-to-the-point document rather than a variety of single (however brilliant) documents and media with different contents. If I'm wrong here, I'm sorry. But then again, Sylvain, I do not understand why you are writing a Manual at all if this is not necessary ... I must admit, I'm a litte bit lost on this here Undecided

I am aware that all the present documents are brilliant documents of ist own, no question. But I still hope to have this stripped_down_bring_it_all_together_and_leaving_out_not_necessarily_needed Information document sometime.

Sylvain, my last input was just to say "thank you". Please, take into account that I'm not a native Speaker and as such I'm always struggling to find the right words. But, be sure there is no offense or something intended. By no means ...

All the Best,
Juergen

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)