Collection of HHC programming contests and other useful documents
10-05-2017, 10:48 AM
RE: Collection of HHC programming contests and other useful documents
(10-03-2017 10:39 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  If you want to contribute to the preservation of vintage HP Calculator literature, manuals, documents, catalogs, etc. I believe your contributions would be most valuable if you can locate, scan and share information that is not already available. That may require purchasing, trading or extensive hunting around, but it is by far a bigger and better contribution.

So going back to this. I just got a book on calculus with the 28s and 48s(x) from ebay. Is it worth scanning? I'll have to cut the spine or if someone has one of those fancy ^ scanners I could send it to?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2017, 01:38 PM
(10-05-2017 10:48 AM)EugeneNine Wrote:  
(10-03-2017 10:39 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  If you want to contribute to the preservation of vintage HP Calculator literature, manuals, documents, catalogs, etc. I believe your contributions would be most valuable if you can locate, scan and share information that is not already available. That may require purchasing, trading or extensive hunting around, but it is by far a bigger and better contribution.

So going back to this. I just got a book on calculus with the 28s and 48s(x) from ebay. Is it worth scanning? I'll have to cut the spine or if someone has one of those fancy ^ scanners I could send it to?

IMHO, any book that uses HP machines to explore or teach math, engineering or any other topic is of interest to the community and would be appreciated by many users, however before scanning and sharing an entire work, you must contact the author and get permission, which is only very rarely refused, due to age of the book/publication.

If the author is deceased or cannot be contacted after serious attempts have been made, what is often done is to share the work, including a statement that if the copyright holder objects to such sharing, upon notification, such sharing will be halted and the shared copy removed. IANAL, so can't comment on the legal validity of this approach, but I have seen it used many times, in many places and contexts.

If you plan to contribute it to MoHPC to be added to the Document Collection, I suggest you should contact Dave Hicks to clarify the criteria and procedures for such a contribution before you scan it, as doing so is a lot of work and best to know if it can be shared before that long task.

--Bob Prosperi
10-14-2017, 12:38 PM (This post was last modified: 10-14-2017 01:07 PM by pier4r.)
without suggestions, I do very little additions.
Searching for useful userRPL programs (from my point of view) takes a lot of time. I may just wait for interesting threads.

Although I should remember to try to get those sites/webpages (starting from the links mentioned here: http://www.wiki4hp.com/doku.php?id=resources:start ) that have some useful contents and seems not maintained anymore, therefore at risk to disappear soon.

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:6d53808e09cbc840004224c7bc8a4c52762001dc&dn=hp_calc_torrent

edit: from the links in the wiki4hp I found this

http://documents.epfl.ch/users/f/fr/froulet/www/HP/

now the RPL directory has a copy of what it seems a very neat tutorial by Eduardo Kalinowski. I am not able to find his site anymore (it was hosted on geocities, it seems, that closed in ~2014 ... once again a proof that websites and contributions online can die without notice). Does anyone knows if he made another site available somewhere else?

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
10-15-2017, 02:13 AM
(10-14-2017 12:38 PM)pier4r Wrote:  now the RPL directory has a copy of what it seems a very neat tutorial by Eduardo Kalinowski. I am not able to find his site anymore (it was hosted on geocities, it seems, that closed in ~2014 ... once again a proof that websites and contributions online can die without notice). Does anyone knows if he made another site available somewhere else?

You may find this site by Carsten Dominik interesting. He wrote what is probably the best book on 49/50 SysRPL together with Eduardo Kalinowski. Get this book if you don't have it yet, it's an amazing resource.

https://staff.fnwi.uva.nl/c.dominik/hpcalc/index.html

--Bob Prosperi
10-15-2017, 05:03 AM
(10-14-2017 12:38 PM)pier4r Wrote:  now the RPL directory has a copy of what it seems a very neat tutorial by Eduardo Kalinowski. I am not able to find his site anymore (it was hosted on geocities, it seems, that closed in ~2014 ... once again a proof that websites and contributions online can die without notice). Does anyone knows if he made another site available somewhere else?

You can find it on Archive.org: The HP Calculators Knowledge Base
10-15-2017, 10:56 AM
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:f0c346da443c23d4bd651fa79edb7f053f11692e&dn=hp_calc_torrent

Included some sites (area48, the 48 programming tutorial mentioned in the previous posts and the site of c.dominik although not complete, I think).

For the link in archive.org I tried to check it manually but for the checks done the links are broken, pointing to "nothing". Another point of having a p2p collection to limit losses.

As usual suggestions are welcomed, especially for useful documents and source code. The source code is not only userRPL, the collection is open for whatever hp calculator. I cannot check, though, code that is not for the 50g so I'll end trusting you.

10-19-2017, 09:37 AM
New release

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:5ee5cd7af011d4274e064896febc4822100e6b0c&dn=hp_calc_torrent

As usual, if you have suggestions, please tell me. Otherwise additions happen more or less randomly.

changelog (see the readme):
Code:

- 2017-10-19
  . added:
    - collected more userRPL snippets, although the pace is very slow
       if I don't have external suggestions.
    - added the first version (it has to be expanded with usage) of a
       notepad plus plus user defined language for syntax highlighting
       using userRPL (once again, suggestions are welcomed as well as 
       including other languages like sysRPL)
    - added documents found while browsing the hpmuseum.
      Those may be interesting, surely those are a start to remember also
      other calculators. Wp31 , hp 35, hp 41, etc...
    - On the hpmuseum forums (re)found a nice RPN tutorial
    - added ListExt 1.1.2b1.zip in 50g files.
    - some notes expanded or refactored.
  . changed:
    - some folder names.
- 2017-10-17
  . notes:
      - other than using the search string
        <site:hpmuseum.org rpl OR 50g OR "50g" challenge OR puzzle OR math>
        another interesting look is:
        http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/forum-4.html?datecut=9999&sortby=views&order=desc
        (that is: General forum of the MoHPC myBB forum,
        ordered by views)

It is only one forum section (of many sections in the site, without considering
        other forum archives) but until one goes through it is is pretty
        enough.
        Also ordering per view may change over time but for topics with
        thousands of views they may be quite stable.

to finish reading http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-916-page-4.html
        (there are a lot of nice inputs, but no general user RPL programs
        as far as I checked)

One of the intput was this thread:
        http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/hpmuseum/archv021.cgi?read=242753
        linking this http://people.math.sfu.ca/~cbm/aands/
        So including it in the collection.
      - found by chance a neat link:
        http://www.hpcalc.org/torrents/

10-20-2017, 01:15 AM
I may be confused, how many torrents are currently available?

I have tried to access the 4 torrents listed in the 'actual' section near the top of the initial post for this thread, as I thought all 4 of these contained different content.

The top magnet worked fine, I was able to download the complete set of files (and also seeded for many more hours).

But none of the other 3 ever connected and started, even after several hours.

Perhaps I've misunderstood and the other magnets in the list have been replaced with the most current one.

Also, what is the status/purpose of the other links listed in the 'previous' and 'ed2k links' lists? If these are retired, why list them?

Thanks again pier4r for the effort to organize, collect and share this information.

--Bob Prosperi
10-20-2017, 02:17 AM
It is the case that the most recent link includes the previous plus additional content. If someone has not yet moved forward you may find that an older link will work, but you won't get the latest content.

Try CC41!
10-20-2017, 07:03 AM (This post was last modified: 10-20-2017 07:08 AM by pier4r.)
(10-20-2017 01:15 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  Also, what is the status/purpose of the other links listed in the 'previous' and 'ed2k links' lists? If these are retired, why list them?

Thanks for the appreciation, anyway I see this as community effort, I wait until someone else contributes. Like the wiki page in my signature. After 4 years is getting someone else on board and it is nice. As far as I know from Bruce B. the wiki should last a while, but even that is not timeless.
People even fixed wrongly assigned pages (I wrongly assigned a page related to the hp35 to the hp35s)

For the list of magnets:
a recent torrent may not work properly (you know, open/closed/firewalled ports) so there may be a chance to recover the data from older torrents still shared by someone.
For example my VPS is still sharing an older torrent, I did it for testing.
Also they provide a sense of activity that is not that useless in my experience.

The "actual" are not really actual, are just 3-4 last recent torrent, the last one with the date is normally the most recent. I stop seeding the "previous last" if I see that it has enough seeders, and I have content to insert in the new release.

Also I will change the name from actual to "last torrents" in the first page.

Once again: if you know what to include, tell me!

edit: also in the readme it is clearly stated tht if someone wants to take over a release, packing new stuff and release it, one can clearly do it. The nice part of torrents is that are quite independent, so other people can repack a new torrent as they wish. Just do it if you think it is helpful Smile (then post here the magnet!)

10-22-2017, 12:07 PM (This post was last modified: 10-22-2017 12:07 PM by pier4r.)
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:bc03ea603a730761204918c381ba16452a4ae7be&dn=hp_calc_torrent

Code:

- 2017-10-22
  . added:
    - a french magazine about calculators (it should be still active)
      and Gilles from the MoHPC forum contributed in some issues.
    - some documents from william kahan.
    - new version userRPL file for notepad++.
  . changed:
    - refactoring some folders.
  . notes:
    - reading: http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-4804.html
      no perceived useful pointers seen here: 
      http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-5756.html
- 2017-10-21
  . notes
    - reading: http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-5756-page-2.html
- 2017-10-20
  . notes:
    - read: http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-1580-page-4.html
      (from it, added a link to the wiki4hp , since jebem did a nice
      collection of links)
    - reading: http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-7095.html
      unfortunately much of the content is not reachable (dropbox links changes)

10-22-2017, 03:48 PM
Does anyone know of a magnet to torrent site that works, I've tried the first dozen or so google hits
10-22-2017, 03:53 PM (This post was last modified: 10-22-2017 04:07 PM by pier4r.)
what do you mean?

In particular what do you want to achieve (not only what do you do, but what is your objective) that does not work?

Anyway some helpful (and interesting) pointers.

How does a magnet link work: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3844...links-work
(in short: if a magnet link does not work, neither will a ".torrent". A ".torrent" is a file with more metadata but nothing more that will help reaching a torrent, end of the story)

Then with your preferred torrent client just add the magnet link (normally is "add torrent link", "magnet" is not mentioned, normally it is called "link") and that's it, you just need to wait.

10-22-2017, 04:52 PM
(10-22-2017 03:48 PM)EugeneNine Wrote:  Does anyone know of a magnet to torrent site that works, I've tried the first dozen or so google hits

After you initially launch the download, you may (likely will) have to wait a couple minutes for actual download to begin. How long the delay takes depends on the number of seeders, so just launch it (use the latest one pier4r has listed, I think it's the only active one).

--Bob Prosperi
10-22-2017, 04:59 PM (This post was last modified: 10-22-2017 04:59 PM by EugeneNine.)
(10-22-2017 04:52 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(10-22-2017 03:48 PM)EugeneNine Wrote:  Does anyone know of a magnet to torrent site that works, I've tried the first dozen or so google hits

After you initially launch the download, you may (likely will) have to wait a couple minutes for actual download to begin. How long the delay takes depends on the number of seeders, so just launch it (use the latest one pier4r has listed, I think it's the only active one).

All of the magnet to torrent sites simply say its not found. Any torrent client I try sits for days trying to download a magnet link. When you had the regular old torrent links those would work fine. Something is preventing the magnet links from working, I'm guessing ISP filtering.
10-22-2017, 05:10 PM (This post was last modified: 10-22-2017 05:18 PM by pier4r.)
A couple of info.

Normally when I release a new magnet, the old one is pretty healthy (like 5+ seeders). Therefore in this moment the reality is:
- the last one: I am alone.
- the previous one, plenty of seeders.

Second: you don't have to check a site to get a .torrent from the magnet link, just use your torrent client. The more you google to try to convert a magnet link to a torrent link, the higher the probability to download malware. Hence: stop it. (Or buy an antivirus)

Note: it is harder (that is, it takes longer) for the torrent client to 'see' the source with a magnet link if the torrent client is behind a firewall with ports closed, but it should nevertheless work.

In qbittorrent using the magnet link requires the following actions:

example:
1. https://i.imgur.com/LdTmQqy.png
2. https://i.imgur.com/5T9yUEf.png
3. https://i.imgur.com/brJTJZO.png

the ISP cannot filter magnet links and let ".torrent" work. Either it blocks all or nothing. Magnet links are the core how the torrent protocol works (a ".torrent" file contains a magnet link inside), if you are able to download the content of a ".torrent" then also a magnet link should work.

edit: for example use this magnet link
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:bb3e9b8f4acc19e3433e1cc4d075d977286262bd&dn=HP41-DVD

this is the hp41-dvd and it works* (there are 9 sources at the moment, me included). If this does not work, first you have to verify you are following the correct procedure with your torrent client.

* if you have it, download it again just for test.

10-22-2017, 07:14 PM (This post was last modified: 10-22-2017 07:17 PM by EugeneNine.)
Yes, I know how it should work. The issue is I can't get a single magnet link to work no matter what client I try but a plain old torrent will work right away every time.

Your example there, it just sits and never starts, the same client I can go search for a .torrent and is works right away.
10-22-2017, 07:22 PM
(10-22-2017 07:14 PM)EugeneNine Wrote:  Yes, I know how it should work. The issue is I can't get a single magnet link to work no matter what client I try but a plain old torrent will work right away every time.

That's strange though. If a torrent file works, a magnet link should work too. The procedure to get the file is identical. In the torrent file normally you find only which files you would expect to download before downloading the actual metadata from a source.

Does the magnet link of the HP41-DVD fails too? (without using a torrent file, I mean only the magnet link)

Anyway, I updated the repository of torrent files here:
http://clserver1.cz.pier4r.t28.net:2080/...c_torrent/

10-22-2017, 09:09 PM
(10-22-2017 07:22 PM)pier4r Wrote:  
(10-22-2017 07:14 PM)EugeneNine Wrote:  Yes, I know how it should work. The issue is I can't get a single magnet link to work no matter what client I try but a plain old torrent will work right away every time.

That's strange though. If a torrent file works, a magnet link should work too. The procedure to get the file is identical. In the torrent file normally you find only which files you would expect to download before downloading the actual metadata from a source.

Does the magnet link of the HP41-DVD fails too? (without using a torrent file, I mean only the magnet link)

Anyway, I updated the repository of torrent files here:
http://clserver1.cz.pier4r.t28.net:2080/...c_torrent/

At least for me, the procedure I follow is this:

select the magnet:? link with your mouse from the beginning to the end of the whole link including the &dn=hp_calc_torrent. Right-click and select Copy. When you get to your torrent client (I use Tixati and Transmission, but this should work for anything that works with magnet links) create a new torrent with the "Add" (Tixati), "Add URL" (Transmission) or equivalent function. In Tixati's case, I select the "Magnet Link" tab, and paste the copied link into the white box. In Transmission's case, I simply paste the magnet link into the box. Then I click "OK". Can't be simpler unless there's other shenanigans going on. I no longer trust that the browser would actually know what to do with a magnet:? link, because I found that it often doesn't, but cut-and-paste will work for me.

(Post 122)

Regards, BrickViking
HP-50g |Casio fx-9750G+ |Casio fx-9750GII (SH4a)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-22-2017, 10:52 PM
Thats what is odd, pasting a magnet link into a bittorrent client never starts the download. But a regular old .torrent does.

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)