new to prime here, 2nd degree polyomial
08-20-2017, 10:38 PM
new to prime here, 2nd degree polyomial
Hello,
I'm new to hpprime here, sorry if I missed somthing.
I bought my calculator to rpepare my exam for june next year.
I was advised to take that one because for some great features.
I spent 3 days on searching feature, help system is just great btw.
I had difficulties to found casio likes feature, but and few are still missingfor me, and look to be not implemented, hope I'm wrong...
I need very easy tool to quickly solve quadratic equation : just typing a, b and c and get delta , x1 and x2.
as simple as this! no more no less...
I tried my best, I found the Quadratic Explorer app, but how do you fill a,b and c ?! (ax²+bx+c) I tried to press Symb key to fill them, like for Function app, but I got a yellow exclamation point?...

Well, at the end,
I just found user programs for that...
but I'm not interrested, I can't bring programs to my exams, because of this f*cking exam mode.

my old casio can solve up to a 6 degree polynomial ! where is the nice app to do that on hpprime ?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-21-2017, 01:52 PM
RE: new to prime here, 2nd degree polyomial
http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-7029.html
Best,

Aries ;-)
08-22-2017, 04:46 AM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2017 04:50 AM by Tim Wessman.)
(08-20-2017 10:38 PM)clay01 Wrote:  I need very easy tool to quickly solve quadratic equation : just typing a, b and c and get delta , x1 and x2.

Quadratic explorer app SOLVE function. TOOLBOX->APP->Quadratic Explorer->SOLVE. Also the other function in there DELTA might be of interest.

Enter a,b,c. Two real roots come out.

Better though, type your formula in the cas and solve for x...

Quote:my old casio can solve up to a 6 degree polynomial ! where is the nice app to do that on hpprime ?

PROOT command

I'm sure your casio wasn't spitting out exact results for 3rd, 4th, 5th, or 6th degree polynomial as an exact formula for a 6th degree polynomial would be quite the math news...

If that isn't what you are looking for, explain with an example what you mean by "solve" the polynomial.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
08-22-2017, 10:09 PM
(08-22-2017 04:46 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Quadratic explorer app SOLVE function. TOOLBOX->APP->Quadratic Explorer->SOLVE. Also the other function in there DELTA might be of interest.

Enter a,b,c. Two real roots come out.
Uh? what ?!... I already played with Quadratic explorer, I don't see SOLVE here !
I have : Eq, Graph, Incr1, Lev4, Test. nothing more
Symb and Num keys are inoperative, is it buggy ? hidden ?
I tried many key on that screen, also with toolbox as you said, I don't understand...

(08-22-2017 04:46 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Better though, type your formula in the cas and solve for x...

Yes... not really straitforward.

(08-22-2017 04:46 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  PROOT command
ok proot works
But I'm new to this keyboard, it's so long to type proot... hey! I counted 11 keystrokes just to type proot([

Interresting there are many ways to get the result.
But I would like only one that could be straitforward...
...maybe the solve from quadratic explorer is the one.

please explain how you reach that solve function.
08-23-2017, 04:18 PM
Home screen, TOOLBOX->App (screen menu key)->Quadratic Explorer

TOOLBOX->Catalog (screen menu key)-> [P] [R] (will search and jump to near proot)

ALPHA ALPHA P R O O T (7 presses)

Or if you are using two hands, hold down ALPHA with one thumb, and type P R O O T with the other.

TW

08-23-2017, 05:45 PM (This post was last modified: 08-23-2017 05:45 PM by clay01.)
(08-23-2017 04:18 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Home screen, TOOLBOX->App (screen menu key)->Quadratic Explorer
Ok, thank you, now I know how to.

Note, it does not work in CAS mode, only in home screen.
in CAS I got SOLVE(5,6,1) as a result...

BTW, I notice you are working "for the HP calculator group", that's amazing!
Maybe you know why they don't bring the SOLVE and DELTA functions to the user interface of the Quadratic explorer App ?

Wouldn't be more convenient ? (and to avoid SOLVE or DELTA issue on CAS)

Thanks
08-23-2017, 07:56 PM (This post was last modified: 08-23-2017 08:02 PM by Tim Wessman.)
The real basic reason is all 3 explorer apps were the first applications we ever made and were used to develop the whole "app" interface (the views, ui, etc). So they were very early, have never been updated or improved past the initial version, and are very, very in need of enhancement and improvement. This is why the interface in them feels so basic and looks different then the rest of the system. The better interface things that were made later (nice graphing, tables, menus, touch interaction, etc) didn't exist when we made the!

Also why they are slated on the list of "things that need be improved" and gotten to sooner rather then later... ;-) (sooner being quite soon)

Yes, I am one of the primary developers of the Prime graphing calculator. You can blame me (or thank me) for quite a few of the specific areas. For example, I'm the one responsible for all the statistics apps and calculations, choose engines (like the toolbox), font rendering, and 2D equation editor to name a few.

TW

08-24-2017, 06:22 PM
wow you are one of the developer !
that's just incredible.

(08-23-2017 07:56 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Also why they are slated on the list of "things that need be improved" and gotten to sooner rather then later... ;-) (sooner being quite soon)
I like it Smile
thank you.

can't wait...

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)