Pioneer Collection almost complete
07-08-2017, 07:18 PM
Pioneer Collection almost complete
I think I am almost done with collecting all the HP Pioneers:

HP 10B (original, 10BII, 10BII+)
HP 14B (thank you HHC)
HP 17BII+ (not the original 17B, does this count?)
HP 32S (non-Anniversary edition)
HP 20S (both the green/purple font, blue/orange font - I prefer the blue/orange)
HP 21S (still no hidden features found - yet, except you can load programs without being in the program editing mode unlike the 20S?)
HP 22S (just purchased one - will be delivered by next week)
HP 27S
HP 42S (traded an HP 50g for this)

If I don't have the name for the family correct, please correct me. Thanks!

Eddie
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2017, 07:52 PM
RE: Pioneer Collection almost complete
(07-08-2017 07:18 PM)Eddie W. Shore Wrote:  I think I am almost done with collecting all the HP Pioneers:

You left out the 17B (it does count) and 32SII.

But also:

1. There are 2 color schemes (similar to the 20S) for these models:

10B
17BII
20S
32SII

2. There are 2 LCD styles for these models:

22S
27S
32S
42S

3. There are "50th Anniversary" and normal editions for these models:

14B
32S

Also, both the 17BII+ (Gold) and original 10BII (both cheap-looking with round bottom) and 17BII+ (Silver) are not true Pioneers, though were derived from their Pioneer parents. I believe the later (square, black & silver) 10BII and 10BII+ were totally different designs, though functionally motived by the 10B/10BII predecessors.

So, yeah... a lot of Pioneer models out there.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
07-08-2017, 09:18 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2017 09:26 PM by Mark Hardman.)
There are also variants with printed key caps rather than molded ones. You also need to consider ROM versions.

Pioneer Variants

To the best of my knowledge, I have them all--with the exception of an HP-22S with a recessed bezel.

In the future, I envision having a battle to the death with Bob for possession of the one remaining recessed bezel HP-22S variant in the universe.

Mark Hardman

Ceci n'est pas une signature.
07-08-2017, 10:50 PM
(07-08-2017 09:18 PM)Mark Hardman Wrote:  In the future, I envision having a battle to the death with Bob for possession of the one remaining recessed bezel HP-22S variant in the universe.

LOL!

I am 99.99% convinced these were never produced and sold; they used one for a publicity shot (as seen on the MoHPC 22S page) but no others have been seen in the wild.

Just not convinced enough to stop looking...

A seller on TAS listed a 22S a couple weeks ago, using the same stock photo as the museum page. I contacted seller and asked him/her to post pics of the actual unit, as the one shown clearly was not. He complied, but wanted to know how I could tell. "It's a long story" didn't work, so I explained. He could not see the difference between his (flat) and the recessed one in the pic. Rather than choosing to go on (and on...) I just parted with a thanks. Probably thinks I'm crazy.

I wonder if that's the machine Eddy bought?

--Bob Prosperi
07-08-2017, 10:58 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2017 10:59 PM by Mark Hardman.)
(07-08-2017 10:50 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  A seller on TAS listed a 22S a couple weeks ago, using the same stock photo as the museum page. I contacted seller and asked him/her to post pics of the actual unit, as the one shown clearly was not. He complied, but wanted to know how I could tell. "It's a long story" didn't work, so I explained. He could not see the difference between his (flat) and the recessed one in the pic. Rather than choosing to go on (and on...) I just parted with a thanks. Probably thinks I'm crazy.

<Face Palm>

I must confess. I did an immediate BIN when I noticed the auction. It was a primal reflex action. After posting payment, I came to my senses and realized that the image was of the mythical example from this site. I turned around and reversed payment and reported the seller.

If an auction for the real deal ever materializes, I will be taking out a second mortgage to secure the prize!

You've been warned Bob.

07-09-2017, 12:42 AM
(07-08-2017 10:58 PM)Mark Hardman Wrote:  If an auction for the real deal ever materializes, I will be taking out a second mortgage to secure the prize!

You've been warned Bob.

So, you're saying I have the amount of time it takes to get a mortgage approved to beat you to the prize.

Game on.

In an encouraging note, the link you posted from the past included a comment from Randy Sloyer that there are recessed bezel 22S machines out there; since he has probably touched more HP machines than anyone else on earth, it's a pretty good sign that there are at least a few of them out there.

--Bob Prosperi
07-09-2017, 12:44 AM
(07-08-2017 10:58 PM)Mark Hardman Wrote:  If an auction for the real deal ever materializes, I will be taking out a second mortgage to secure the prize!

Well, I know several persons (me included) that looked several times a day for the HP-22S recessed bezel.
I am assuming that there will be a little bidding war between us to win this prize.

Sylvain
07-09-2017, 01:59 AM
(07-08-2017 10:50 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(07-08-2017 09:18 PM)Mark Hardman Wrote:  In the future, I envision having a battle to the death with Bob for possession of the one remaining recessed bezel HP-22S variant in the universe.

LOL!

I am 99.99% convinced these were never produced and sold; they used one for a publicity shot (as seen on the MoHPC 22S page) but no others have been seen in the wild.

Just not convinced enough to stop looking...

A seller on TAS listed a 22S a couple weeks ago, using the same stock photo as the museum page. I contacted seller and asked him/her to post pics of the actual unit, as the one shown clearly was not. He complied, but wanted to know how I could tell. "It's a long story" didn't work, so I explained. He could not see the difference between his (flat) and the recessed one in the pic. Rather than choosing to go on (and on...) I just parted with a thanks. Probably thinks I'm crazy.

I wonder if that's the machine Eddy bought?

I guess I'll find out. I just looked for the model and whether it is working (i.e. not sold for parts).
07-09-2017, 02:19 AM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2017 02:23 AM by Eddie W. Shore.)
(07-09-2017 12:42 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  

You've been warned Bob.

So, you're saying I have the amount of time it takes to get a mortgage approved to beat you to the prize.

Game on.

In an encouraging note, the link you posted from the past included a comment from Randy Sloyer that there are recessed bezel 22S machines out there; since he has probably touched more HP machines than anyone else on earth, it's a pretty good sign that there are at least a few of them out there.

All I am after is a working, functional model. If you obtain one recessed bezel, please post a pic of it. Smile

For me, the HP 42S is a "Holy Grail".

Eddie
07-09-2017, 07:05 AM
(07-08-2017 09:18 PM)Mark Hardman Wrote:  There are also variants with printed key caps rather than molded ones. You also need to consider ROM versions.

Pioneer Variants

To the best of my knowledge, I have them all--with the exception of an HP-22S with a recessed bezel.

In the future, I envision having a battle to the death with Bob for possession of the one remaining recessed bezel HP-22S variant in the universe.

Mark Hardman

Have you got an Indonesian 42S with clumpy feet?
07-09-2017, 01:49 PM
(07-09-2017 07:05 AM)Gerald H Wrote:  Have you got an Indonesian 42S with clumpy feet?

Is that early production clumpy, or the late-production, more refined style of clump? Wink

--Bob Prosperi
07-09-2017, 02:30 PM
(07-09-2017 12:44 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  

Well, I know several persons (me included) that looked several times a day for the HP-22S recessed bezel.
I am assuming that there will be a little bidding war between us to win this prize.

Sylvain

Settle down, guys. You may have forgotten that I called dibbs on a recessed-bezel 22S, should one appear on eBay, over two years ago.

http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-255...l#pid24532

However, if one ever shows up on eBay, I suspect the gloves will come off. Smile

Dave
07-09-2017, 02:30 PM
(07-09-2017 01:49 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(07-09-2017 07:05 AM)Gerald H Wrote:  Have you got an Indonesian 42S with clumpy feet?

Is that early production clumpy, or the late-production, more refined style of clump? Wink

Serial Number ID9400**** which I guess is 1999? or 2009? week 40.
07-09-2017, 05:23 PM
(07-09-2017 02:30 PM)Gerald H Wrote:  
(07-09-2017 01:49 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Is that early production clumpy, or the late-production, more refined style of clump? Wink

Serial Number ID9400**** which I guess is 1999? or 2009? week 40.

Well, in truth I was only kidding, I believe there were no production changes regarding the clump factor.

That s/n would actually be 1989, week 40, the 42S was discontinued around 1996. Hard to believe it was that long ago, but it is. Sad that virtually nothing better has come along since, for RPN users (in hardware that is).

But the new (in beta test now) DM42 from SwissMicros will be changing that, thanks to Thomas Okken's fabulous Free42 simulator; more precision than one could ever use (though several folks here will do their best to prove that statement wrong) a much better screen, large RAM with easy program exchange with PC, and easier to use Alpha mode.

--Bob Prosperi
07-09-2017, 05:28 PM
(07-09-2017 02:30 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  However, if one ever shows up on eBay, I suspect the gloves will come off. Smile

At some point, bragging rights has got to outweigh honor among fellow collectors. This machine is just such a situation.

Besides, someone else (beyond the scope of the insane group here) might get it, and that would be, well, disastrous beyond words.

--Bob Prosperi
07-09-2017, 05:57 PM
(07-09-2017 05:23 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(07-09-2017 02:30 PM)Gerald H Wrote:  Serial Number ID9400**** which I guess is 1999? or 2009? week 40.

Well, in truth I was only kidding, I believe there were no production changes regarding the clump factor.

That s/n would actually be 1989, week 40, the 42S was discontinued around 1996. Hard to believe it was that long ago, but it is. Sad that virtually nothing better has come along since, for RPN users (in hardware that is).

But the new (in beta test now) DM42 from SwissMicros will be changing that, thanks to Thomas Okken's fabulous Free42 simulator; more precision than one could ever use (though several folks here will do their best to prove that statement wrong) a much better screen, large RAM with easy program exchange with PC, and easier to use Alpha mode.

No, 1999 earliest, Indonesia made no 42S in '89.
07-09-2017, 06:07 PM
(07-09-2017 05:23 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(07-09-2017 02:30 PM)Gerald H Wrote:  Serial Number ID9400**** which I guess is 1999? or 2009? week 40.

So my ID027*** one (built as a replacement unit) is a fake, not from 2000? Smile

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
07-09-2017, 06:11 PM
(07-08-2017 10:50 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  I am 99.99% convinced these were never produced and sold; they used one for a publicity shot (as seen on the MoHPC 22S page) but no others have been seen in the wild.

Dear Curator, would you please confirm that the your image of the HP-22S (http://www.hpmuseum.org/22s.jpg) is of an actual production model calculator and not just a stock photo supplied by HP. The very existence of this image has unhinged the sanity of this member of the Community (and likely others).

Warmest regards,

Mark Hardman

07-09-2017, 06:38 PM
(07-09-2017 05:57 PM)Gerald H Wrote:  No, 1999 earliest, Indonesia made no 42S in '89.

(07-09-2017 06:07 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  So my ID027*** one (built as a replacement unit) is a fake, not from 2000? Smile

All sources I've found claim the 42S production ended in 1995 or 1996. It seems unlikely HP would restart production a few years later in another country to only a produce a small number if units.

Seems much more likely that the backs of 42S units with such dates are likely from cases of later machines used in homebuilt repairs.

@Massimo - how can you tell it was built as a replacement unit?

--Bob Prosperi
07-09-2017, 07:06 PM
Support units for the 42S were manufactured in Indonesia up to 2000 according to this thread.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)