Free42: list of Multiple Equation Solvers
06-12-2017, 11:09 AM (This post was last modified: 06-13-2017 11:37 AM by Luigi Vampa.)
Free42: list of Multiple Equation Solvers
I have been searching for a multiple equation solver for Free42. So far I have found these:

- Namir's RootsEqns.

- Thomas Okken's port of Mike Ingle's MES for HP 28C.

At work, I lean on Free42's solver for any non-linear equation, and SolveSys in my HP50g to solve systems of non-linear equations. I find the latter's interface more convenient. Is any team member aware of any other HP42s/Free42-minded MES around? An interface like SolveSys' would be great to have.

[EDIT] FYI,I have posted this in SwissMicros' forum too.

Saludos Saluti Cordialement Cumprimentos MfG BR + + + + +
Luigi Vampa +
Free42 '<3' I + +
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-13-2017, 02:29 PM
RE: Free42: list of Multiple Equation Solvers
(06-12-2017 11:09 AM)Luigi Vampa Wrote:  - Thomas Okken's port of Mike Ingle's MES for HP 28C.
I noticed that, when pasting those programs into Free42, the MES program ends up 7 lines and 7 bytes short. This is because the program parsing code does not recognize Rv as an alternate spelling of R↓. I'll fix that in 2.0.5, and add v as alternate for ↓ as well.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-13-2017, 04:02 PM
... much appreciated. Such proactive attitude (even after so many years) is what has made Free42 stand out from the crowd.
Now that SM DM42 is getting closer to its official launch, I am sure more and more people will develop on Free42/DM42. As the old IT proverb says: "developers, developers, developers, developers, developers..."

Saludos Saluti Cordialement Cumprimentos MfG BR + + + + +
Luigi Vampa +
Free42 '<3' I + +
06-14-2017, 03:02 AM
(06-13-2017 02:29 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  I noticed that, when pasting those programs into Free42, the MES program ends up 7 lines and 7 bytes short. This is because the program parsing code does not recognize Rv as an alternate spelling of R↓. I'll fix that in 2.0.5, and add v as alternate for ↓ as well.

Thomas, I had no trouble pasting the code from this page in (using v2.0.4 on Windows); all the instances of "Rv" were properly translated to "R↓" and the byte counts all match.

I also pasted in and ran a test run using the provided E1/E2/E3 and TEST programs and got same results as shown in the article.

Regarding your comment "and add v as alternate for ↓ as well", where would this apply, in Alpha?

--Bob Prosperi
06-14-2017, 03:51 AM
(06-14-2017 03:02 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(06-13-2017 02:29 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  I noticed that, when pasting those programs into Free42, the MES program ends up 7 lines and 7 bytes short. This is because the program parsing code does not recognize Rv as an alternate spelling of R↓. I'll fix that in 2.0.5, and add v as alternate for ↓ as well.

Thomas, I had no trouble pasting the code from this page in (using v2.0.4 on Windows); all the instances of "Rv" were properly translated to "R↓" and the byte counts all match.

I also pasted in and ran a test run using the provided E1/E2/E3 and TEST programs and got same results as shown in the article.

It sounds like your Free42 executable has my bug fix even though I haven't released it yet. :-)

When you do XEQ "Rv" and XEQ "v" in PRGM mode, do you get R↓ and ↓, respectively?

If it were closer to April 1st, I'd assume you were pulling my leg. I honestly don't understand how pasting Rv could work in any released version of Free42.

(06-14-2017 03:02 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  Regarding your comment "and add v as alternate for ↓ as well", where would this apply, in Alpha?

No, it would only apply to function names. Lowercase v doesn't get converted to ↓ in ALPHA strings.
06-14-2017, 12:12 PM (This post was last modified: 06-14-2017 12:27 PM by Thomas Okken.)
(06-14-2017 03:02 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  Thomas, I had no trouble pasting the code from this page in (using v2.0.4 on Windows); all the instances of "Rv" were properly translated to "R↓" and the byte counts all match.

Could you describe the steps you took to do this? Specifically, is the final step, in Free42, Edit -> Paste, or File -> Import Programs?
06-14-2017, 02:48 PM
(06-14-2017 12:12 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  Could you describe the steps you took to do this? Specifically, is the final step, in Free42, Edit -> Paste, or File -> Import Programs?

After some time of many failures to repeat the successful paste, I was very confused as I know I didn't type it in, it was only pasted. Finally, I figured out what happened, and of course you are right.

Seeing the article, I tried to download the raw file, but no luck, broken link. So I went to your site and found it (renamed to "SES"), copied it from there, then pasted w/o issues (the code on your page has been corrected as you know). But the sample formulas and test program were not there, so I went back to the old post (the link I posted) and copy/pasted the other 4 programs from there, with no problems (since none of those use "R↓".

Mystery solved, sorry for alarming "pre-release" test results. :-)

For folks that are interested, this MES program is installed in the DM42 program library under the name SES.

Thanks Thomas.

--Bob Prosperi
06-14-2017, 05:35 PM (This post was last modified: 06-14-2017 05:36 PM by Thomas Okken.)
(06-14-2017 02:48 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Mystery solved, sorry for alarming "pre-release" test results. :-)

For folks that are interested, this MES program is installed in the DM42 program library under the name SES.

Ah, I had completely forgotten about putting that program on my web site (and renaming it in the process). I couldn't figure out how pasting that program could possibly work when the only available copy was in an incompatible format. I'm glad we cleared that up (and my sanity remains intact, at least for now :-) ).

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)