HP-71B: How to load and run a BIN file?
05-27-2017, 03:53 PM
HP-71B: How to load and run a BIN file?
I'm happy to have my HP-71B out of storage and up & running again. I have a PIL-Box and I can copy files back and forth between my computer and the HP-71B. I've been perusing the contents of various LIF files I can find online.

So I go to J-F Garnier's web site, and I come across his Pirate Adventure game:

http://www.jeffcalc.hp41.eu/emu71/#pir

He states that it's a "32K module, needs about 8KB free main RAM." I have a 32K RAM module and a 4K RAM module, so I believe that I have enough memory to hold this file.

But, now I'm stuck here as a newbie. I see that pyILPER does not want to deal with a BIN file. I suspect that there's a process that I have to go through to get that 32K module copied into my HP-71B. I see a few references to BIN files in the Owner's Manual and Reference Manual, but they seem to be nothing more that acknowledgement that BIN files can exist. The RUN command is supposed to be able to execute a BASIC or a binary program, but I don't see a way to get the file into my computer so I can run it.

Can anyone offer some simple instructions about how to get this large BIN file into my HP-71B so I can RUN it?

Thanks, in advance, for your patience!

smp
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-27-2017, 04:20 PM
RE: HP-71B: How to load and run a BIN file?
Unfortunately, the file type BIN has two totally separate meanings.

HP-71 supports binary programs of file type BIN (as seen on the '71 CAT lists). These are assembly language, executable programs, which one simply runs by typing "RUN FILENAME". There are very few of these programs circulating, however a common (and really useful!) one is the RPN calculator program. This is used by simply copying the BIN file RPN to the machine and then RUN RPN (or assigning it to a key such as DEF KEY 'fR', 'RUN RPN': which is then accessed by just pressing [f][R]. The trailing colon makes the command run as soon as you hit the key).

On the PC, the file type BIN is commonly used as an extension of DOS files which hold ROM images, which can be used as-is in EMU71 (both DOS and WIN versions). These cannot be simply downloaded by ILPer (or pyILPer) to a real 71B as they are bit-for-bit images of the ROM, and can only be loaded into an IRAM using a special program that pokes the files contents into the RAM module, nibble by nibble.

--Bob Prosperi
05-27-2017, 04:24 PM
(05-27-2017 04:20 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Unfortunately, the file type BIN has two totally separate meanings.

HP-71 supports binary programs of file type BIN (as seen on the '71 CAT lists). These are assembly language, executable programs, which one simply runs by typing "RUN FILENAME". There are very few of these programs circulating, however a common (and really useful!) one is the RPN calculator program. This is used by simply copying the BIN file RPN to the machine and then RUN RPN (or assigning it to a key such as DEF KEY 'fR', 'RUN RPN': which is then accessed by just pressing [f][R]. The trailing colon makes the command run as soon as you hit the key).

On the PC, the file type BIN is commonly used as an extension of DOS files which hold ROM images, which can be used as-is in EMU71 (both DOS and WIN versions). These cannot be simply downloaded by ILPer (or pyILPer) to a real 71B as they are bit-for-bit images of the ROM, and can only be loaded into an IRAM using a special program that pokes the files contents into the RAM module, nibble by nibble.

Hi Rob, and thanks very much for the explanation. Yes, since the Pirate Adventure is on J-F's Emu-71 page, I'm not surprised to hear that the file is set up for his emulator.

Oh, well, there's much more to explore, so off I go...

smp
05-27-2017, 06:30 PM
(05-27-2017 04:24 PM)smp Wrote:  Yes, since the Pirate Adventure is on J-F's Emu-71 page, I'm not surprised to hear that the file is set up for his emulator.
The Pirate Adventure binary file is not setup for Emu71/DOS only. The file is an IRAM image which can be easily loaded into any of the 71B emulators, FRAM71, or an IRAM configured from your 32k RAM.

For loading into your 32k RAM you'll want to use ROMCOPY. You can search this Forum for links to the docs or holler if you need directions.

I recently discovered that EPRMCPY, included with the CMT EPROM programmer for the 71, is simply a version of ROMCOPY with different defaults. There are usage examples of both programs at the end of the CMT-71-P01 Instruction Manual.

Dave
05-27-2017, 06:40 PM (This post was last modified: 05-27-2017 06:41 PM by smp.)
(05-27-2017 06:30 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  
(05-27-2017 04:24 PM)smp Wrote:  Yes, since the Pirate Adventure is on J-F's Emu-71 page, I'm not surprised to hear that the file is set up for his emulator.
The Pirate Adventure binary file is not setup for Emu71/DOS only. The file is an IRAM image which can be easily loaded into any of the 71B emulators, FRAM71, or an IRAM configured from your 32k RAM.

For loading into your 32k RAM you'll want to use ROMCOPY. You can search this Forum for links to the docs or holler if you need directions.

I recently discovered that EPRMCPY, included with the CMT EPROM programmer for the 71, is simply a version of ROMCOPY with different defaults. There are usage examples of both programs at the end of the CMT-71-P01 Instruction Manual.

Dave

Thanks very much, again, Dave, for your quick answer and assistance. I just discovered that ROMCOPY is on the PILIMAGE.DAT file that I currently have loaded on my pyILPER Drive1.

Can you provide a pointer to directions for the steps I should take to copy this file?

At present, I simply started up my HP-71B after extended storage, so I believe that it pulled my 32K RAM and 4K RAM modules all into main memory. When I ask for MEM, I currently get 50127 (with the few programs that I have loaded). I assume that I will have to segregate the 32K RAM module in order to copy the file to it.

Since pyILPER does not want to deal with the BIN file as it is, I assume I will have to do some preparation with it also.

Thanks,
smp
05-27-2017, 07:36 PM
(05-27-2017 06:40 PM)smp Wrote:  Can you provide a pointer to directions for the steps I should take to copy this file?

It's probably easier to outline the steps. The first thing is to copy PIRATE.BIN, an IRAM image, to a LIF disc image so that it can be mounted in pyILPER using the LIFUTILS command-line utilities which you may or may not have installed. I can give instructions on how to do this in Windows, but not on a Mac.

Perhaps someone Mac savvy can step in here, since I got the impression that installing Windows is an option you'd given up on.

Dave
05-27-2017, 08:03 PM
(05-27-2017 07:36 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  Perhaps someone Mac savvy can step in here, since I got the impression that installing Windows is an option you'd given up on.

Thanks very much for your attention, Dave. As a last resort, I can go back and do the pyILPER installation on Windows 7 and run that as a virtual machine under Parallels on my Mac. This entire effort was initiated in order to move onto my Mac and not have to use Windows. If I cannot get it to go, and I see by other's posts that they have been successful with getting it to go on Macs, I guess that will be what I have to do.

It's a bit frustrating for me - I do not have good knowledge and capability of using the Macintosh system under the GUI, so I seem to be a bonehead and I don't fully understand all the steps involved with a statement like, "Get xyz installed...". But, I am trying to persevere.

On the bright side, I have pyILPER installed and doing the work of providing two drives and a display. That's great. Now, if I can only get the terminal working right in both directions, then I could type on my Mac as well as see the display!

Thanks again,
smp
05-27-2017, 08:19 PM
This would be much easier if the IRAM image were already on a LIF disc image, so I attached one.

Here's an outline of the steps.
1. Create the IRAM. Execute FREEPORT(1), or whichever port your 32k RAM module is plugged into.

2. Copy ROMCOPY from PILIMAGE.DAT. Execute COPY ROMCOPY:TAPE, assuming PILIMAGE.DAT is mounted on the first mass storage device.

3. Mount PIRATE.lif in pyILPER.

4. ROMCOPY the IRAM image on the LIF disc image to the IRAM. Execute ROMCOPY PIRATE:TAPE TO :PORT(1).

You should now be able to RUN PIRATE.

Attached File(s)
.zip  PIRATE.zip (Size: 10.42 KB / Downloads: 12)
05-27-2017, 10:15 PM
(05-27-2017 08:19 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  This would be much easier if the IRAM image were already on a LIF disc image, so I attached one.

Here's an outline of the steps.
1. Create the IRAM. Execute FREEPORT(1), or whichever port your 32k RAM module is plugged into.

2. Copy ROMCOPY from PILIMAGE.DAT. Execute COPY ROMCOPY:TAPE, assuming PILIMAGE.DAT is mounted on the first mass storage device.

3. Mount PIRATE.lif in pyILPER.

4. ROMCOPY the IRAM image on the LIF disc image to the IRAM. Execute ROMCOPY PIRATE:TAPE TO :PORT(1).

You should now be able to RUN PIRATE.

Thanks very much, Dave! I was able to follow your instructions, and now I have that Pirate Adventure Game installed and running.

Thanks for all your hints and advice. Greatly appreciated!

smp

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)