Poll: Would you like to 1) source your own boards and components, 2) order a PCB and source your own components, or c) order a kit
Source PCB and componets yourself
Order PCB and source components yourself
Order a kit
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
WP34S USB and IR board release
12-07-2019, 09:04 PM
RE: WP34S USB and IR board release
(12-07-2019 08:18 PM)Sadsilence Wrote:  answer is simple: my decades old solder depot ran empty and officially there is only lead-free solder to buy here. So I give it a try.

Well, that IS a good reason! I had no idea the lead-based solder was completely verboten in the EU now. I knew large scale manufacturers had to switch to it, but I thought it was still available for hobby use. I *think* we can still get old reliable 60/40 in the US, but I too have a decades-old supply. Thanks again!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-07-2019, 09:59 PM
(12-07-2019 08:18 PM)Sadsilence Wrote:  answer is simple: my decades old solder depot ran empty and officially there is only lead-free solder to buy here. So I give it a try.

I am pretty sure you can still buy it as a private person. At work we buy it from RS for repairs.
12-07-2019, 10:54 PM
Plenty of Chinese stores sell lead based solder still.
Deal Extreme, Bang Good, Ali Express.

Pauli
12-07-2019, 11:33 PM
Bang Good??

Isn't it Bang Well ?

--Bob Prosperi
12-09-2019, 09:20 AM
Of course all of you are completely right. I was just curious about that lead-free thing and took the chance as I was in need of new solder anyway.
12-12-2019, 02:48 AM
I didn't realize this thread had updates. That'll teach me to rely entirely on the rss feed of an old thread.

I was ready to buy at least one unassembled kit. If I missed the boat for the 2019 wave, I guess I'll have to wait for the 2022 wave...
12-12-2019, 10:15 AM
(12-12-2019 02:48 AM)revwillie Wrote:  I didn't realize this thread had updates. That'll teach me to rely entirely on the rss feed of an old thread.

I was ready to buy at least one unassembled kit. If I missed the boat for the 2019 wave, I guess I'll have to wait for the 2022 wave...

No, the boat can still be boarded.

Werner is in the process of populating boards. If kits are what you are after, I can mail them to Werner and he can ship the lot to John in the US who will then forward to everyone. That won't be happening this year though.
Alternatively, you can pay the extra shipping (13 Euros instead of about 3) and I can ship directly to you. This will be faster, but I can't guarantee the kits will arrive before christmas.

Cheers,
Harald
12-13-2019, 01:45 PM
(12-12-2019 10:15 AM)Harald Wrote:  Werner is in the process of populating boards. If kits are what you are after, I can mail them to Werner and he can ship the lot to John in the US who will then forward to everyone. That won't be happening this year though.
Alternatively, you can pay the extra shipping (13 Euros instead of about 3) and I can ship directly to you. This will be faster, but I can't guarantee the kits will arrive before christmas.

Cheers,
Harald

I am in no hurry. Christmas on the gregorian calendar would suffice Smile ...or later. It looks like I cannot edit the google sheet myself. If I read it correctly, would the cost be roughly 50 euros for three unsoldered kits? I'm definitely interested in at least one kit and I have acquired two more 30b calculators since 2017. So, if there are enough parts for three kits, I'd buy them.

Thanks to all for making this happen!

PS: even though I subscribed to email notifications to this thread, I had to surf through the myBB board to see any updates. Not a complaint. Let's chalk it up to vintage interwebs.
12-29-2019, 05:06 PM
Hello all,

update at the end of the year:

All kits are created and assembled boards are tested and ready for shipment. I will contact each member of list directly, asking for payment (paypal or bank transfer) and shipping addresses for members outside the U.S. and Canada. For customers from the U.S. and Canada member jpcuzzourt will distribute boards.

Member revwillie has gotten an offer, too. When there are any more interested people, especially from the U.S./Canada please let me know until 7th of January. As I ordered another batch of PCBs five more kits/assembled boards are possible.

Best regards and enjoy last days of that decade!

Werner
12-29-2019, 10:31 PM (This post was last modified: 12-29-2019 10:34 PM by Sylvain Cote.)
I know I am very late to join the party, but here it is, if still available, I am interested to buy 2 assembled boards (or kits if assembling is not possible).
I live near Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
Sylvain
12-29-2019, 10:35 PM
Hi Werner,

Also late to the party, but if possible I’d like to buy one assembled board. I live in the UK.

Cheers, Terje
12-30-2019, 09:22 AM
Hello Sylvain,

thanks for your interest. Two assembled boards are no problem as I ordered some more PCBs for member revwillie and enough components are still available.

PCBs will arrived here around 7th January. After assembly your boards will be sent to member jpcuzzourt as soon as possible together with all orders from the U.S./Canada in one parcel. He kindly offered (re-)distributing boards for U.S./Canadian customers in order to save shipping costs.

Best regards,

Werner

(12-29-2019 10:31 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  I know I am very late to join the party, but here it is, if still available, I am interested to buy 2 assembled boards (or kits if assembling is not possible).
I live near Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
Sylvain
12-30-2019, 09:24 AM
Hi Terje,

one more assembled board is no problem. PCBs will arrive here around 7th of January and I will ship board directly to you after assembly.

Best regards,

Werner

(12-29-2019 10:35 PM)Terje Vallestad Wrote:  Hi Werner,

Also late to the party, but if possible I’d like to buy one assembled board. I live in the UK.

Cheers, Terje
12-30-2019, 01:50 PM
(12-30-2019 09:22 AM)Sadsilence Wrote:  Two assembled boards are no problem as I ordered some more PCBs for member revwillie and enough components are still available.
(12-29-2019 10:31 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  I know I am very late to join the party, but here it is, if still available, I am interested to buy 2 assembled boards (or kits if assembling is not possible).
Hello Werner,
Great! Thank you! Smile
I have sent you a PM.
Best regards,
Sylvain
12-30-2019, 06:02 PM (This post was last modified: 12-30-2019 06:11 PM by revwillie.)
Thanks Werner! I can't wait to crack open my converted 30b.

I found the answer to my question on page 150 of version 3.1 of the wp34S manual. The steps are different, but YES, an unflashed 30B can be converted using the USB board.
12-30-2019, 10:04 PM
(12-30-2019 09:24 AM)Sadsilence Wrote:  Hi Terje,

one more assembled board is no problem. PCBs will arrive here around 7th of January and I will ship board directly to you after assembly.

Best regards,

Werner

(12-29-2019 10:35 PM)Terje Vallestad Wrote:  Hi Werner,

Cheers, Terje

Thanks Werner,

I have sent you a PM
Thank you for doing this, much appreciated

Cheers, Terje
01-03-2020, 04:52 AM
I'm just starting the process of building a WP34S, I'd be interested in buying a USB/IR board as well. I'm in the US.
01-18-2020, 03:41 PM
Hi all,

meanwhile all pre- and postordered boards and kits are shipped with some response of good arrival at recipient's side. Seems like sending boards as registered letter over the atlantic ocean works.

I got a lot of encouragement and nice contacts. Thanks for that :-)

On the other side some members did not respond. So I have at the moment 9 PCBs left which can still be assembled or sent as kits. Just contact me in case of interest.

Werner
01-18-2020, 03:47 PM
Wow. myBB notifications magically worked and I got an email this morning to look at this thread. Thanks Werner. my registered letter arrived yesterday in the USA. I'll be firing up the soldering iron soon.
01-18-2020, 08:35 PM
Thanks again for helping out Werner!
Last time I tried to ship via registered letter, the post office refused to accept it. How did you manage to do that?

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)