HP 39gs vs HP 50g
01-31-2017, 10:08 PM
HP 39gs vs HP 50g
Hello to everyone,

I am new member here and not an hp calculator owner yet,but this is about to change.After a little research I found two possible buying options.
Firstly is a used HP 39gs calculator at 25 euro which is around 27.5 USD and my second options is an also used (but in the box) HP 50g at 90 euro which is about 99 USD.
Which do you think its a better option.

Thank you for your time !!

PS1. I am an engineering student. So far I was using a casio imitation calculator ( not even able to plot any graphs) worthing about 7 USD.

PS2. I am not much of rich guy so the 99 USD option would be the savings of the last two months. I am just wondering if it's worthing it!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2017, 12:47 AM
RE: HP 39gs vs HP 50g
Algebraic entry versus unlimited stack based RPN entry? It depends on if you are comfortable with RPN. When my HP 34C arrived in the mail (1983) I took it to college and learned RPN while taking a math test- which I passed.

Years later I always keep an RPN calc handy. It's so nice not to think about parentheses!
02-01-2017, 01:54 AM
(01-31-2017 10:08 PM)vangelis Wrote:  Which do you think its a better option.

What do you plan to use the calculator for? Knowing that would make it easier to make specific recommendations.

The 50g is a FAR more capable machine, and has literally thousands of programs and 'how-to' tips on hundreds of websites. The 50g is used by practicing engineers all over the world, whereas the 39gs was built specifically for the High Scholl and College student.

While the 39gs can be programmed using 'applets', relatively few of them have been published (compared to 50g programs) however its difficult to compare them as the applets can be more larger and more complete programs including graphing and other features that would need to be built from scratch in the 50g.

The 39gs will be easier to learn, partly because it is limited to Algebraic notation. The 50g can use both Algebraic and RPN (actually a variation of RPN called RPL) and, while it does have a steeper learning curve, you will be able to do much more and have better control over your data and programs.

Except for educational use, most folks here would recommend the 50g over the 39gs, even thought the cost is higher, because it can do much more and it uses RPN/RPL, which is preferred by almost all HP Calculator fans.

Your feedback about these comments and details of your planned use will help to give you better and more specific advice.

--Bob Prosperi
02-01-2017, 03:07 AM
(02-01-2017 01:54 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(01-31-2017 10:08 PM)vangelis Wrote:  Which do you think its a better option.

What do you plan to use the calculator for? Knowing that would make it easier to make specific recommendations.

The 50g is a FAR more capable machine, and has literally thousands of programs and 'how-to' tips on hundreds of websites. The 50g is used by practicing engineers all over the world, whereas the 39gs was built specifically for the High Scholl and College student.

While the 39gs can be programmed using 'applets', relatively few of them have been published (compared to 50g programs) however its difficult to compare them as the applets can be more larger and more complete programs including graphing and other features that would need to be built from scratch in the 50g.

The 39gs will be easier to learn, partly because it is limited to Algebraic notation. The 50g can use both Algebraic and RPN (actually a variation of RPN called RPL) and, while it does have a steeper learning curve, you will be able to do much more and have better control over your data and programs.

Except for educational use, most folks here would recommend the 50g over the 39gs, even thought the cost is higher, because it can do much more and it uses RPN/RPL, which is preferred by almost all HP Calculator fans.

Your feedback about these comments and details of your planned use will help to give you better and more specific advice.

Even for educational use, the 50G is a much better choice in my opinion. It also has an algebraic mode that makes it behave like other graphing calculators that have similar capabilities. So if you are unsure about RPN notation, don't let that bother you (you can switch between algebraic mode and RPN/RPL mode very easily through the mode menu). This way you can learn the much more efficient RPN entry method at your own pace.

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
02-01-2017, 06:26 AM
An advantage of the 39gs is the Sequence Aplet, much more flexible than similar functionalities on Casios & TIs.

In general the 50g is hugely more capable & flexible.
02-01-2017, 06:55 AM
Hello,

The 39g has, in theory the same function set as the 50g (minus the CAS. The HP40g does have the CAS)...

However, the 39g is organized in "sectors" where you do specific type of operations while the 50g is much more of an all at the same time system.

The net result is that the 50g does allow you to do more, more easely, BUT is harder to use...

Now, the Current HP flagship product, the HP Prime is (loosely) based on the 39g. But more expensive (120€)...

So, if you are strapped for cash, I would say go for the 39g. However, if you are OK spending 90€... Then you should definitely bite the bullet and spend the 120€ to get a HP Prime on amazon which is significantly better than both the 39 and the 50 (I know, some people will disagree here, let the flame war begin :-()

Note, I am working for HP and have been one of the main developers for all 3 calculators (39, 50 and Prime).

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
02-01-2017, 08:00 AM
If you can scrape the 120€ together then by all means go for the Prime. However, if you need something "now" and you have the 90€ then go for the 50g, without the shadow of a doubt.

RPN/RPL is not that hard to learn. In fact, once you get the hang of it you'll be asking yourself why you haven't been using it all your life Smile I honestly couldn't use an algebraic-only machine now.
02-01-2017, 01:02 PM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2017 10:32 AM by grsbanks.)
As a quick update to this, I've just ordered a Prime from Amazon. Should get it tomorrow (Prime delivery -- no pun intended) and will report back on what I think of it.

Edit Feb 2nd... It's just been delivered. The packaging is pretty bad. I think I'm going to spend more time getting the thing out of the packaging than learning to use it...
02-01-2017, 03:12 PM
(02-01-2017 03:07 AM)Han Wrote:  Even for educational use, the 50G is a much better choice in my opinion. It also has an algebraic mode that makes it behave like other graphing calculators that have similar capabilities. So if you are unsure about RPN notation, don't let that bother you (you can switch between algebraic mode and RPN/RPL mode very easily through the mode menu). This way you can learn the much more efficient RPN entry method at your own pace.

If the school system does not care or specify which model machine to use, I agree with Han, the 50g is still a better machine (as it can easily use both Alg and RPN/RPL), however many school systems essentially mandate use of Algebraic-only machines, and virtually always teach methods using only Algebraic notation and techniques, in some cases including the 39gs. In these cases, the 39gs is the better choice, as it's optimized for doing exactly this.

The Prime is in a whole different class, clearly superior in almost every way to these other choices (RPN being a significant exception) but I did not want to wander out of the options the OP inquired about. Once it's more clear what he wants to use the machine for, it will be easier to steer towards the better choice.

--Bob Prosperi
02-01-2017, 04:14 PM
(02-01-2017 06:55 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  definitely bite the bullet and spend the 120€ to get a HP Prime on amazon which is significantly better than both the 39 and the 50 (I know, some people will disagree here, let the flame war begin :-()
Similar topic was discussed here.

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topi...yplWbrjqMU
02-03-2017, 02:50 PM
All answers have been very helpful. Thank you very much.

After some thought I think I will go with the 39gs... In my opinion it's both a better option for an inexperienced individual like me and also an economical one. In the end I thing its capabilities overcome my demands.
Right now it's finals period in my uni so after I am done , I am planning on getting a small job to make some money on my own....if things go well I'll be a 50g owner by June!!! I would really like to use this RPN system..!
02-05-2017, 06:27 PM
(02-03-2017 02:50 PM)vangelis Wrote:  All answers have been very helpful. Thank you very much.

After some thought I think I will go with the 39gs... In my opinion it's both a better option for an inexperienced individual like me and also an economical one. In the end I thing its capabilities overcome my demands.
Right now it's finals period in my uni so after I am done , I am planning on getting a small job to make some money on my own....if things go well I'll be a 50g owner by June!!! I would really like to use this RPN system..!

Good choice.
The HP-39gs and its CAS capable HP-40gs sibling are sophisticated calculators that can now be acquired for a modest price.
Their only "sin" is missing RPN, but again, their intended audience is different from what many of the 70's old school boys, like myself, used to be.
Back then, RPN was the way to go if you had the money to spend on a expensive HP calculator. If not, well, we always had Casio and Texas using algebraic systems.

Surely you found it already, but just in case, here are some useful documentation of the 39gs and 40gs:
Mastering the hp 39gs & hp 40gs
HP 39gs User's Guide
HP 39gs Training Modules

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

02-05-2017, 07:06 PM
(02-05-2017 06:27 PM)jebem Wrote:  Surely you found it already, but just in case, here are some useful documentation of the 39gs and 40gs:
Mastering the hp 39gs & hp 40gs
HP 39gs User's Guide
HP 39gs Training Modules

And this website has a lot of interesting 39/40 stuff, including some example applets, which are powerful and interesting, but not at all obvious how to build.

http://www.hphomeview.com/

--Bob Prosperi
11-12-2017, 06:24 PM
(02-05-2017 06:27 PM)jebem Wrote:  The HP-39gs and its CAS capable HP-40gs sibling are sophisticated calculators that can now be acquired for a modest price.
Their only "sin" is missing RPN, but again, their intended audience is different from what many of

I wrote an aplet that adds RPN to the HP39gs... I hope with this I've absolved the 39 from its original sin... or almost Smile

The aplet is written in SysRPL and runs snappy on the HP39gs. It's posted here:
http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-9461.html (post #6)

Disclaimer: I'm not a priest and not trying to impersonate one... I was an altar boy though... till I was soon fired Sad
11-13-2017, 12:36 PM
(11-12-2017 06:24 PM)acapde Wrote:  Disclaimer: I'm not a priest and not trying to impersonate one... I was an altar boy though... till I was soon fired Sad

Ego te absolvo. Big Grin

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)