Basic Question
01-30-2017, 08:14 AM
Basic Question
If I wanted to find the roots and intersections between other graphs of the ellipse (4x^2 + y^2 = 1 for example), which app would I use to find the answers most easily?

Function doesn't let you enter y in symbolic view. Advanced Graphing doesn't have the function tools that function has. Geometry doesn't either.

Sorry for the basic question, but thanks for the help!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-30-2017, 12:35 PM
RE: Basic Question
(01-30-2017 08:14 AM)CloudHP Wrote:  If I wanted to find the roots and intersections between other graphs of the ellipse (4x^2 + y^2 = 1 for example), which app would I use to find the answers most easily?

Function doesn't let you enter y in symbolic view. Advanced Graphing doesn't have the function tools that function has. Geometry doesn't either.

Sorry for the basic question, but thanks for the help!

Use the Function app for actual functions (i.e. ones that can be defined in the form f(x)=blah). For everything else, use the Advanced Graphing function.

In your case, since you want to use the tools that Function has, then you would probably need to convert 4X^2+Y^2=1 into two parts: Y=SQRT(1-4X^2) and Y=-SQRT(1-4X^2). The equation, in its original form, does not actually define a function.

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
01-31-2017, 03:10 AM
Oh okay, so I would need to convert it into a y = ... form to use the function capabilities.
01-31-2017, 10:30 AM
(01-31-2017 03:10 AM)CloudHP Wrote:  Oh okay, so I would need to convert it into a y = ... form to use the function capabilities.

Note that Advanced Graphing does allow you to find intersections with axes and with other graphs - using Menu/Trace/PoI. Is this what you are looking for?

Nigel (UK)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)