Android: How do you update the calculator?
01-19-2017, 10:55 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2017 06:51 PM by StephenG1CMZ.)
Android: How do you update the calculator?
I have the same Google account on two phones.
One has Version 8151, the 2nd phone doesn't.

As I understand it, Google Play is meant to synchronise files between devices - but the fact that it didn't install on the 2nd phone didn't bother me - all that synchronising would use up precious bandwidth.

But now there is a new version out, I'd like to install it on the 2nd phone (bigger screen) or both.

Looking at Google Play, it knows I have purchased the calculator, so I have the correct account details - but the only option I am seeing is to installing. I don't see any Update option.

Am I wrong in thinking that the 2nd phone should have installed 8151 automatically a year ago?
Am I wrong in thinking it can be updated? If so, how?
Or Do I need to repurchase it?
(Not a problem if I do, though I will wait until I get an SD card as storage is running g low).
I usually access data using a WiFi rather than 3G/4G if that makes a difference.

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-19-2017, 11:28 PM (This post was last modified: 01-19-2017 11:30 PM by sat1410.)
RE: Android: How do you update the calculator?
If you see the green button to "Install" in the Play Store on a particular device, the app is not currently installed on that device. The app is already licensed to you (or free), though, and can be installed at no additional cost by tapping that "Install" button.

If you hadn't yet paid for/licensed the app, the button would instead say "Purchase."

Once the app is already installed, that same button in the Play Store will say "Update" (if an update is available) or "Open" if everything is already installed and up to date.

Apps generally update across all devices at the same time, but there are valid reasons for versions getting out of sync. If a new version of a particular app requires a particular version of Android, only users running sufficiently new versions of the OS will see any future updates--users of older versions will only be able to install the last version of the app that supports their version of the OS. Same goes for updates that require a specific hardware feature (eg a tablet form factor, or a camera).

Automatic installs of apps between devices during upgrades doesn't always work in my experience. It depends on how you set up your new device when you get it. Some manufacturers explicitly ask if you'd like to transfer apps from your old device as part of the setup process, but some do not. It's also possible for the end user to (intentionally or not) bypass that step during the setup process.

Overall, though, once you click that "Install" button you'll be back on track and enjoying the newest version of the Prime app on your new device--at no additional cost to you.

Enjoy!

73 de AD2AM
Find all posts by this user
02-03-2017, 10:42 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2017 11:33 PM by StephenG1CMZ.)
Thanks for that...
Having now installed an SD card, I selected the green "Installed" button and it says it will be downloaded soon...
Waiting impatiently.

Update: Using Chrome, it says it will download soon but there are no notifications (several hours, several attempts).

Repeating using Google Play, it downloads straight away.

02-06-2017, 06:46 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2017 06:50 PM by StephenG1CMZ.)
Its installed and working, but I havent found where it has been installed on Android. Its in internal memory (there is no option to move to SD card), but where?

I am hoping to be able to drop some data files into the "Notes" directory (or anywhere my program could read text).

I seem to recall reading that could be done in the new version, but can't seem to find the thread/pdf describing where the data should go.

02-06-2017, 09:26 PM
You need to have the android device connected on the same network as your win/mac computer, start the connectivity kit on the computer, and then on the android device tap the clock in the upper right prime screen, then tap the wireless icon. You can then connect to the connkit and transfer data as needed like any other calculator.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
02-07-2017, 07:04 AM
Hello,

(02-06-2017 09:26 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  You need to have the android device connected on the same network as your win/mac computer, start the connectivity kit on the computer, and then on the android device tap the clock in the upper right prime screen, then tap the wireless icon. You can then connect to the connkit and transfer data as needed like any other calculator.

Addendum: on the con kit, preference window, you need to turn ON IP networking (and name your "network".
On the calculator in the modes/networking page (page 4), you then need to select your network from the list.

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
02-07-2017, 10:30 AM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2017 10:47 AM by StephenG1CMZ.)
When I read Tim's post last night, I was hoping all I would have to do was hit the clock.

Hitting the clock gives
"No Network Available (0)
RF Version: No adapter found"
On Android.

That's with WiFi turned on ready for browsing the forum on the phone.
Simply connecting PC and Android to the same Osprey WiFi didn't make it appear.

So now I will turn my attention to creating a network...I had hoped the USB would be sufficient - that works fine for copying PDFs and MP3's.

I have created networks years ago using Ethernet, but my Android hasn't got an Ethernet port.

02-07-2017, 11:06 AM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2017 12:57 PM by grsbanks.)
Just tried the method described by Tim and further clarified by Cyrille and it works fine for me on a Samsung Galaxy S7 edge. Emulator 2016 12 08 (11226). I see the Android Prime in the Connection Kit and can talk to it.
02-07-2017, 12:54 PM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2017 12:57 PM by StephenG1CMZ.)
Reading page 1 of the Connectivity Kit it can be used in the following modes:

Connected to 1. Or more Calculators using USB. (do you mean real calculators?)
Connected wirelessly using a purchased wireless kit
Connected to 1 or more virtual calculators on the same PC.

It's not clear from those 3 modes, whether you can connect the connectivity kit on a PC to a Virtual Calculator rather than real calculator, running on an Android phone. Does the 1st case include virtual Calculator as well as real? If so, connect ting the phone via USB should work.

If not, it's not clear from the Connectivity User Guide that there is connectivity to a phone.
Although obviously it is possible!

02-07-2017, 02:54 PM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2017 10:19 PM by StephenG1CMZ.)
(02-07-2017 07:04 AM)cyrille de brĂ©bisson Wrote:  Hello,

(02-06-2017 09:26 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  You need to have the android device connected on the same network as your win/mac computer, start the connectivity kit on the computer, and then on the android device tap the clock in the upper right prime screen, then tap the wireless icon. You can then connect to the connkit and transfer data as needed like any other calculator.

Addendum: on the con kit, preference window, you need to turn ON IP networking (and name your "network".
On the calculator in the modes/networking page (page 4), you then need to select your network from the list.

Cyrille

Edit/Preferences in the CK gives a page with default names and Enable Network already set.
There are 3 Wireless channels listed.

The calculator still shows no network found.

Both the 3 wireless channels on the PC and on the Calculator App show
RF Version: No adapter found.

Is the problem that I haven't purchased any of your proprietary adapters?

02-07-2017, 03:13 PM
"calculator still shows no network found"

Is this a real, physical HP Prime or the Android app simulating an HP Prime?

A real Prime will not see the network without the extra accessories. The Android simulator sees it as long as it is connected to the same network as the PC (via Wi-Fi to the same router as the PC).

Assuming you've used the default "HP_Classroom" as your network name:

Make sure your Android device is on the same network as the PC running the Connectivity Kit, fire up the Prime emulator, tap on the clock and then on the Wi-Fi symbol below the battery indicator.

You should see page 4 of the Home settings. The drop-down list box should say "No network selected (1)". Tap on it and "HP_Classroom" should be one of the options available. Select that option and after a few seconds it will become the active selection in the drop-down list.

Status should become "Connected" but "RF Version" will still say "No adapter found".

Go back into the Connectivity Kit and your Android Prime will be among the calculators listed.

Tip: name your real Prime, the PC-based Prime emulator and the Android Prime emulator in such a way that they are all instantly recognisable.
02-07-2017, 03:22 PM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2017 03:54 PM by Tim Wessman.)
USB connections to a phone will not work. Android doesn't give you the ability to do that sort of thing in any supported ways.

Assuming *both* the android app and the computer with the connkit are on the same subnet, you are most likely being blocked by a firewall or similar. If on windows, please check if you have a firewall, and then if your connectivity kit is blocked there. If you are on a home network, try disabling the firewall for a minute and see if the connection shows up to the android app. If so, you need to allow the connkit an exception when the firewall is turned back on.

Can you please describe your network topology a bit more?

TW

02-07-2017, 04:12 PM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2017 10:16 PM by StephenG1CMZ.)
My problem was in reading "no network selected (0)" on the calculator as meaning there was no connection, and in thinking "no network selected(1)" also meant no connection, with the (1) indicating another instance because I had tried changing USB port.

I now believe the (1) is the number of selectable networks, and on my last attempt I finally saw "connecting " and the name showed up on the PC.

My network topology is a Virtual Calculator on an Android, and Virtual Calculator and CK on a PC.
PC and Android both connect via WiFi to an EE Osprey WiFi hotspot for data to the internet. The Osprey can link up to 10 devices to the internet, but I wasn't sure they could "see" each other.

But it seems I am slowly getting there.
Update: I have now succeeded in creating and downloading a Note to the VC. Thanks to you all.

02-07-2017, 04:36 PM
Well, if you name showed up on the PC, you should be connected now and can drag/drop stuff to the app. I think you are probably good to go now.

TW

02-07-2017, 09:01 PM
(02-07-2017 03:22 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Assuming *both* the android app and the computer with the connkit are on the same subnet, you are most likely being blocked by a firewall or similar. If on windows, please check if you have a firewall, and then if your connectivity kit is blocked there.

I'm seeing similar problems to the other posters. My topology: two Windows 10 PCs, two Android machines (Sony phone & Samsung tablet). All up to date with the latest software, all connected to the same WiFi network. On both PCs, the HP Connectivity Kit is in the list of Windows Firewall allowed apps. The HP Connectivity Kit appears in the Inbound Rules list with access to the local network (TCP & UDP).

The Connectivity Kit on each PC was given a different network name (not HP_CLASSROOM) to tell them apart.

Neither Android calculator could see the CK network name on one PC; the calculators would just keep searching for a network. Both Android calculators could see the network name of the CK on the other PC. However, they would indicate they were trying to connect, but never appear in the list of connected calculators on the CK.

I tried stopping & restarting the Connectivity Kit and Android calculator in different sequences (no luck). On the functioning PC, I changed the CK network name to verify the calculator was really finding the network (it was). I tried temporarily disabling Windows Firewall completely on the non-functioning PC (didn't help).

For one of the PCs, the firewall doesn't seem to be the problem. If the calculator is trying to connect, is there a way to force the Connectivity Kit to poll for available calculators?

Windows 10 - I'm hatin' it (tm),
~ Mark

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
02-08-2017, 06:32 PM
Hello,

I've resolved the connectivity issue with one PC. On this particular PC, an Android calculator could see the Network Name of the Connectivity Kit on the PC, but could not connect to it. The problem appears to be permissions for devices.

On this PC I have McAfee firewall in place of the default Windows Firewall. I edited the firewall permissions for the Connectivity Kit application to grant access to all ports and all devices, as shown below.

McAfee provides three levels of access and only the most permissive level works. I'll investigate further to see what changes need to be made for the Windows Firewall application. That's the one on the other PC that seems to be strict enough that the Android calculator can't even see the Connectivity Kit network name. I guess we can thank Microsoft for protecting us half to death Smile

More, hopefully soon!
~Mark

02-08-2017, 11:05 PM
I again tried to get the non-working PC Connectivity Kit to connect to my Android devices. After more than an hour of struggling with Windows Firewall rules and permissions, I was about ready to give up. I decided to check the options for the HP Prime emulator that was running on the same PC as the Connectivity Kit.

In the Edit/Preferences dialog, there is a checkbox to enable IP Networking for the PC emulator. The option didn't make much sense for an emulator running on the same host as the kit, but what's to lose? Checking the box, then restarting the Connectivity Kit and emulator, the emulator showed up in the Local, Emulator and Network groups.

I started an Android calculator and, lo and behold, it connected and showed up in the same Local, Emulator and Network groups. Both of my Android devices now appear, and I can drag and drop things between them.

Color me stupefied, but happy. Perhaps something was needed to kick-start networking?

Whatever,
~ Mark

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)