DM42 News
04-02-2017, 09:32 PM
RE: DM42 News
Their latest YouTube video mentions making units available for beta testers, but offers no details.
You should probably just email michael@swissmicros.com and ask him how you can help.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-07-2017, 01:10 AM
Comment from Michael Steinmann in this YouTube video:

"The not so good news is, after getting a bunch of nice samples of the Gorilla Glass which said DM42P, I wanted them to change it to DM42 only. So they started production of the first 1000 pieces.
I'm not quite sure what happened, one character of the model name got cut off but somehow on the wrong end, see http://www.swissmicros.com/tmp/mp42.jpg.
Now they need to make them over again. And all of you and me, we have to wait. How long? I hope not too long, best case two weeks.
The good news is, all the rest looks and feels really good: the housing, the buttons, the electronics with it's super low-power consumption, and last but not least, the software is getting better and better every day."

Jean-Charles
Find all posts by this user
04-07-2017, 07:00 AM
Can't David simply change his name to something that starts with a P, such as Peter? Re-manufacturing 1000 units just because one of the developers has the wrong initial seems a little over the top, doesn't it? Smile
04-07-2017, 07:55 AM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2017 07:57 AM by Luigi Vampa.)
(04-07-2017 01:10 AM)Helix Wrote:  Comment from Michael Steinmann in this YouTube video:
"The not so good news is, after getting a bunch of nice samples of the Gorilla Glass which said DM42P, I wanted them to change it to DM42 only. So they started production of the first 1000 pieces.
I'm not quite sure what happened, one character of the model name got cut off but somehow on the wrong end, see http://www.swissmicros.com/tmp/mp42.jpg.
Now they need to make them over again. And all of you and me, we have to wait. How long? I hope not too long, best case two weeks.
The good news is, all the rest looks and feels really good: the housing, the buttons, the electronics with it's super low-power consumption, and last but not least, the software is getting better and better every day."
You know, in the long term maybe this could add more value to these first units, like those old stamps with a king/queen with just one eye ;O)
This very first batch has been expected for so long, that it deserves its own special name:
MP... multi-purpose
MP... mega-processor
MP... mega-pimped >D

Saludos Saluti Cordialement Cumprimentos MfG BR + + + + +
Luigi Vampa +
Free42 '<3' I + +
04-07-2017, 10:11 AM
Hey, I'll take a "Magic 'Puter 42" if I can order now.
04-07-2017, 10:41 AM
The misprint sucks for sure, but there's an interesting tidbit of info in there.

Quote:So they started production of the first 1000 pieces.

The first 1000 pieces? I was expecting the market to be somewhere around 500 units total in the lifetime of the product, clearly I've underestimated it. And, the first run being 1000 units is promising for pricing, too - it means that economies of scale really start kicking in.
04-07-2017, 11:00 AM
(04-07-2017 10:41 AM)bhtooefr Wrote:  The misprint sucks for sure, but there's an interesting tidbit of info in there.
The first 1000 pieces? I was expecting the market to be somewhere around 500 units total in the lifetime of the product, clearly I've underestimated it. And, the first run being 1000 units is promising for pricing, too - it means that economies of scale really start kicking in.
The 'Mega Pimped 42' would be a unique&limited series, I guess the price might go even higher; remember, 'it is not a bug, it is a feature!' ;O)

Saludos Saluti Cordialement Cumprimentos MfG BR + + + + +
Luigi Vampa +
Free42 '<3' I + +
04-07-2017, 12:43 PM
(04-07-2017 10:41 AM)bhtooefr Wrote:  The misprint sucks for sure, but there's an interesting tidbit of info in there.

According to what Google and Apple are telling me, there are roughly 50,000 people using Free42 on a regular basis (as in: at least once during the last 30 days). That's about twice the number of users I deduced from the download counts in the early days (2004-2006), so this is pretty steady and rising. If only one out of every 20 of those people wants to buy a DM42, they're already looking at sales in the thousands.

Now I'm starting to wonder: how many HP-42S did HP sell? Surely more than a mere few tens of thousands, but how many more? Does anyone know?
04-07-2017, 12:59 PM
(04-07-2017 10:11 AM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Hey, I'll take a "Magic 'Puter 42" if I can order now.

I'd order a "My Precious" 42 as well!

Tom L

Tom L
Cui bono?
04-07-2017, 01:42 PM
Based on this, they were making at least 10,000 per week in the warranty replacement batch in 1999 week 18: http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/...read=12067
04-28-2017, 10:13 PM
(04-07-2017 07:55 AM)Luigi Vampa Wrote:  This very first batch has been expected for so long, that it deserves its own special name:
MP... multi-purpose
MP... mega-processor
MP... mega-pimped >D
Or it could be repurposed for a forthcoming and renamed "WP 42S", with the letters now standing for Marcus and Pauli... ;-)

Greetings,

Matthias

--
"Programs are poems for computers."
04-28-2017, 11:32 PM (This post was last modified: 04-28-2017 11:33 PM by Vtile.)
MP42 Most Prominent meaning of life.

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=meaning+of+life
05-02-2017, 07:40 AM
Swiss Micros are setting up a forum: http://forum.swissmicros.com/

They don't seem to have finished fully configuring it, so it's probably best not to post there yet, but for people waiting for product announcements, it may be an interesting place to keep an eye on.
05-02-2017, 10:03 AM
(05-02-2017 07:40 AM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  Swiss Micros are setting up a forum: http://forum.swissmicros.com/

They don't seem to have finished fully configuring it, so it's probably best not to post there yet, but for people waiting for product announcements, it may be an interesting place to keep an eye on.

Disclaimer: I don't work for SwissMicros but I'm lending a hand with the forum and the NUT decoders/encoders.

I think we need to get some more people posting there. It will give us a better idea of what people are thinking and talking about and thus make it easier for us to organise the forum in a logical manner.

So do hop along and join in! A forum is only as good as its participants...
05-31-2017, 06:40 PM
Hello all, long time viewer, first time poster...

I have quite a few HP calcs, some I love, some I like. My personal favorite is the 32sii as I found it to be faster than quite a few of them and I personally like the dual shift, crowded keyboard. I thought I should point this out to give you a reference for my quick review of the DM42P I received a few minutes ago.

I love it. It's built like a tank with a crisp display and tactile keyboard. It fits in my hand nicely and feels right. It's fast but I guess everyone suspected it to be fast. I liked the way the clock settings were set as I am both a time-nut and FMT-nut so it will be interesting to see how well the clock keeps time.

I like the alpha characters on the keys. I have a number of 42 emulators but not a "real" 42 so I don't know if they were on the keys? I don't think so. On the DM42 it makes it much easier to use but comparing to other keyboards, the original 42 UI I liked better than searching for the alpha keys anyway.

Michael sent along the original mislabeled GGlass with the MP42 model number on it. I'll save it for the future.

I thought at first the DM42P was a little expensive because you can probably get a "real" 42 for the same or lower price. Having SwissMicro's version in my hands changed my mind.

More to come as other beta testers report in.

Jerry
05-31-2017, 07:39 PM
(05-31-2017 06:40 PM)cncjerry Wrote:  I thought at first the DM42P was a little expensive because you can probably get a "real" 42 for the same or lower price. Having SwissMicro's version in my hands changed my mind.

Original 42's go for anywhere between $200USD and $450USD for units in good to NIB condition. You can find beat-up units for less, if you're patient, but they get snatched up quickly, and who wants a beat-up classic machine?

I agree the DM42 is awesome! It's very fast, has the best LCD I've ever seen, and just feels good. 'Feel' is hard to quantify or explain, but when it feels this good, you just know it.

--Bob Prosperi
06-02-2017, 01:43 PM
My DM 42 just arrived so I took it to work.

[Image: IMG_2549_zps10yl1uk1.jpg]
06-02-2017, 01:45 PM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2017 01:46 PM by Logan.)
Great picture.

So jealous. I want one but will try to wait for the production units.
06-02-2017, 03:12 PM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2017 03:13 PM by pier4r.)
(06-02-2017 01:43 PM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  My DM 42 just arrived so I took it to work.

[img.]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f96/geoff_q/HP%2029E%20IR%20GPS/IMG_2549_zps10yl1uk1.jpg[/img]

Am I mistaken or do I see 4 screens?

The hp screen, that I cannot really identify (sorry I'm newbie). The dm42, that looks really attractive. A tablet in the back, an iPad? (I can tell even less about the generation). Then a camera report on the bottom left, like looking in an hallway.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
06-02-2017, 04:11 PM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2017 04:12 PM by Geoff Quickfall.)
Yes and as described!

HP 29 is the led one with a new ACT chip.

So:

-DM 42.
-HP 29E IR GPS.
-iPad Air 2 with company charts and manuals plus GPS.
-aircraft chart, manual and video surveillance of approach to cockpit.

The orange thing is a piece of cheddar cheese (wrapped) to prevent the HP29e from sliding off the iPad.

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)