Double quotes question
09-28-2016, 05:02 PM
Double quotes question
First of all, I playing around with the new 10637 version on my physical Prime.
Excellent update!! Thanks HP Prime team!!

I have a question about the double quotes.
As an example;
I want to make a list with text, using the list editor (Shift 7)
I select L1 and inputting AAA (just an example) and I'm forgotten to use the double quotes.
I want to edit the text to put a double quote before and a double quote after the text.
With the curser I go before the text and insert from "Chars" (Shift Vars) a single double quote, I get now two double quotes!! It is not possible to delete one of the double quotes. Deleting the second one nothing happens, deleting the first one both double quotes are deleted.
I must delete the whole text, inserting two double quotes (ALPHA 0) and I must type the whole text again between it. (Okay, AAA is not a difficult text!)
What I'm doing wrong? Or is this behavior changed in 10637?
Same with the single quotes and something (sometimes) with editing the underscore on the command line, but difficult for me to explain.

It works (with the double quotes) "correct" in Notes and in the Program Editor.

— Dirk Hartland
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-28-2016, 05:39 PM
RE: Double quotes question
Basically, this is an artifact of a having a 2D equation editor. The editor you are using in the list editor is not a "text" editor, but rather a 2D equation editor and math input engine that also happens to allow you to stick a string object " " inside it.

What this means however, is that removing just one of the " would force it to 'reflow' the entire equation into a plain text object each time a paired " was removed. This is essentially impossible to always do correctly without introducing errors in quite a few circumstances. The solution was to force "" to remain paired. Note how if you try to delete the last one, it actually just moves the cursor inside the end ".

This behavior hasn't actually changed and has always been this way. The missing piece here is being able to select your sub expression and then put or remove "" () [ ] etc around them, or remove them in pairs. That part is "on the list" for future improvements.

The only way to avoid this would be to use the dumb algebraic mode instead of textbook entry. That doesn't force pairing in the ".

The program/note editor is plain text (that happens to also allow a node to be a 2D expression inside of it), and hence it doesn't need to worry about paired " in those places.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
09-28-2016, 06:06 PM
Tim, thanks for your reply!

Okay, I understand what you wrote.
It was the first time I noticed it, normally I'm using more the program editor than editing the list or the command line in this way. Yes, the program editor is plain text.
Thanks, Tim.

— Dirk Hartland
09-29-2016, 01:45 AM
(09-28-2016 05:02 PM)Dirk.nl Wrote:  I must delete the whole text, inserting two double quotes (ALPHA 0) and I must type the whole text again between it. (Okay, AAA is not a difficult text!)

If the expression is a difficult text, try using Cut and Paste:

1. Press Shift-Copy
2. From the soft menu touch "All" followed by "Cut"
3. The command line is now empty. Press Alpha-"" (0)
4. Press Shift-Paste. A dialog of recent entries is displayed. Select the first (most recent) entry by pressing Enter.

Mark Hardman

Ceci n'est pas une signature.
09-29-2016, 07:08 AM (This post was last modified: 09-29-2016 08:33 AM by Dirk.nl.)
Hi Mark, thanks, but you knew that already!!
It was just a question about the possibility to edit the double quotes in the list editor and on the command line.

— Dirk Hartland
09-29-2016, 09:28 AM (This post was last modified: 09-29-2016 09:48 AM by StephenG1CMZ.)
Tim,
Another place where pairing of brackets (maybe quotes too?) can be inconvenient is in the INPUT statement.

My "Z EDITOR" program provides the ability to search for text in a program.
But when the user inputs "(" he gets "()".

So, you can use the program to search for "WAIT(1)" in your program, but you cannot search for "WAIT(". Or is there a solution I have overlooked?
The same pairing issue also affects xset's program: http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-4832.html
As I understand the latest firmware has released some memory, might HP implement on-device searching?

[ Don't be misled into thinking that my program can edit - it only searches ]

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)