Both Prime color schemes
09-24-2016, 09:51 PM
Both Prime color schemes
Although we've seen some photos of the new keyboard color scheme for the HP Prime, comparison with the old color scheme is difficult because photos are never taken with the exact same lighting, white balance settings, etc.

Solution: a single hi-res scan of both schemes, side by side, made at the same time. This can be thought of as a "Before and After" photo, since the old scheme is on the left and the new scheme is on the right. This was made possible by HHC 2016, at which I won this new Prime during the Door Prize drawing. Smile

Note: The orange ink in both versions is far less readable under incandescent light. It is ok under white light, which is what my scanner uses.

[Image: BothPrimes_small.jpg]

If you'd like to download a larger (1902×2016) version of the above scan, it's here: http://holyjoe.net/Prime/BothPrimes_big.jpg

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-24-2016, 10:24 PM (This post was last modified: 09-25-2016 01:57 PM by compsystems.)
RE: Both Prime color schemes
thank you, please can include full image, KEYBOARD + LCD I want to create a skin for the simulator
Find all posts by this user
09-25-2016, 12:37 AM
Joe, the photo makes a convincing case for the new colors having better contrast, on the condition that fluorescent lighting is not used. That is what we had at HP and what most classrooms and offices have. The blue is certainly more readable regardless, but I could not see any significant difference in the orange while at HP, except the white lettering on the orange shift key is more legible.

Looking at the photo, I wonder if the keys except the number keys are actually slightly whiter on the new version compared to the older one.

I still contend the new orange key labels are pretty much the same as before, i.e. hard to read. Contrast is the name of the game, and to get that they should use more of a brown color, as when I suggested a reddish orange Tim Wessman pointed out that it would be a problem for colorblind users. In any event this is all about making the keyboard much more legible, which increases productivity and reduces eye strain.
09-25-2016, 07:13 AM (This post was last modified: 09-25-2016 07:25 AM by Joe Horn.)
(09-25-2016 12:37 AM)Brian Walsh Wrote:  Looking at the photo, I wonder if the keys except the number keys are actually slightly whiter on the new version compared to the older one.

Yes, as can be seen quite well in the scan above, the new scheme definitely uses a whiter plastic for ALL the light keys (including the 12 numeric keypad keys), which greatly helps.

(09-25-2016 12:37 AM)Brian Walsh Wrote:  I still contend the new orange key labels are pretty much the same as before, i.e. hard to read.

Until a moment ago, I thought that the new orange was darker than the old orange, but you motivated me to do a color value test on both schemes, and I'm surprised to say that it agrees with you. The key plastic is lighter, which makes the orange look darker on the new scheme, but the orange itself measures as exactly the same color as before! I find this surprising, since a darker orange was clearly called for. Strange.

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
09-25-2016, 09:35 AM
It looks to me like the new version key legends are not buried as deeply - (less transparent top coating). While that might mean less legend durability, it really enhances clarity of the symbols. I like the new appearance, and have no trouble seeing all the keys, unlike earlier versions.

-Dale-
09-25-2016, 01:33 PM
(09-25-2016 07:13 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  
(09-25-2016 12:37 AM)Brian Walsh Wrote:  Looking at the photo, I wonder if the keys except the number keys are actually slightly whiter on the new version compared to the older one.

Yes, as can be seen quite well in the scan above, the new scheme definitely uses a whiter plastic for ALL the light keys (including the 12 numeric keypad keys), which greatly helps.

(09-25-2016 12:37 AM)Brian Walsh Wrote:  I still contend the new orange key labels are pretty much the same as before, i.e. hard to read.

Until a moment ago, I thought that the new orange was darker than the old orange, but you motivated me to do a color value test on both schemes, and I'm surprised to say that it agrees with you. The key plastic is lighter, which makes the orange look darker on the new scheme, but the orange itself measures as exactly the same color as before! I find this surprising, since a darker orange was clearly called for. Strange.

Hello Joe,
Are there any other differences in the old and newer models worth mentioning, ex: hardware, memory, performance etc.
Thank you.
09-25-2016, 05:02 PM
(09-25-2016 07:13 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  

Yes, it was. Even just a shade or two darker (subjective) wouldn't render the orange as brown but surely would increase contrast, much as the darker blue does -- which, by the way, is significantly darker than the blue on the upper (black) keys which is unchanged from the original version.
09-25-2016, 06:39 PM (This post was last modified: 09-25-2016 06:40 PM by Mark Hardman.)
While the non-change to the orange alpha labels doesn't add much in the way of readability. The small, additional right-margin on these labels helps make them more visible (for me).

Mark Hardman

Ceci n'est pas une signature.
09-27-2016, 04:25 PM
(09-25-2016 06:39 PM)Mark Hardman Wrote:  While the non-change to the orange alpha labels doesn't add much in the way of readability. The small, additional right-margin on these labels helps make them more visible (for me).

Mark Hardman

Theoretically the more white keys should improve readability of the orange labels.

If there would be any possibility to get these new keys as a set from HP, and a procedure to open the HP Prime and replace them, I would buy them at once.

Bernhard

That's one small step for a man - one giant leap for mankind.
09-27-2016, 05:06 PM
(09-27-2016 04:25 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  
(09-25-2016 06:39 PM)Mark Hardman Wrote:  While the non-change to the orange alpha labels doesn't add much in the way of readability. The small, additional right-margin on these labels helps make them more visible (for me).

Mark Hardman

Theoretically the more white keys should improve readability of the orange labels.

If there would be any possibility to get these new keys as a set from HP, and a procedure to open the HP Prime and replace them, I would buy them at once.

Bernhard

Me too,
Arno
09-27-2016, 09:10 PM
(09-25-2016 01:33 PM)John P Wrote:  Are there any other differences in the old and newer models worth mentioning, ex: hardware, memory, performance etc.

No. Same C-version hardware inside (or so I'm told), and no external differences that I can detect, other than the keyboard color scheme of course.

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
09-27-2016, 10:13 PM
(09-27-2016 04:25 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  

Mark Hardman

Bernhard

Not going to happen. Viewed another way, the cost of the new keys is the same as the cost of a Prime. :-)
09-30-2016, 03:24 AM
(09-27-2016 09:10 PM)Joe Horn Wrote:  
(09-25-2016 01:33 PM)John P Wrote:  Are there any other differences in the old and newer models worth mentioning, ex: hardware, memory, performance etc.

No. Same C-version hardware inside (or so I'm told), and no external differences that I can detect, other than the keyboard color scheme of course.

Thank you.
10-24-2016, 10:33 AM
If I order a new HP Prime, how can I be sure to get the new better color scheme? Does it have a unique part number or version number? Is it available in europe?

Thanks
Bernhard

10-24-2016, 10:43 AM
The new color scheme is available in Europe, I’ve got one new Prime at Fnac. But there is no new part number or version number to identify it when you do online shopping, so the only way to be sure is to see the unit you’re buying which you can do only in a brick and mortar store.
10-24-2016, 12:12 PM
(10-24-2016 10:43 AM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  The new color scheme is available in Europe, I’ve got one new Prime at Fnac. But there is no new part number or version number to identify it when you do online shopping, so the only way to be sure is to see the unit you’re buying which you can do only in a brick and mortar store.

Thank you! So I really have to leave my house!

Bernhard

07-10-2018, 01:52 AM
It's now July 2018. Can we assume that all Primes now sold (on Amazon and various dealers) have the new color scheme? Or would there be a lot of old stock still floating around out there?

Thanks.
07-10-2018, 12:43 PM
Just to be certain, I purchased my new one online from Best Buy, and went to pick it up in the store nearby. That way, I could see if I was getting the one I wanted, or return it if it was one of the old ones. For me, it was the right one.

smp
07-10-2018, 02:08 PM
Last month I bought one for a gift to a relative who graduated from high school. It was with a high contrast keys. My Prime also has a high contrast keys. Interesting, I put both Prime calculators side by side, there was a small difference in key coloring. The latest calculator was with a slightly less intense orange color. The difference was noticeable. I conclude, for Prime calculators the color of the keys may vary slightly.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)