DIY magnetic cards?
09-19-2016, 02:19 AM (This post was last modified: 09-19-2016 02:19 AM by jay.)
DIY magnetic cards?
Does anyone have any experience with making magnetic cards? I'm restoring an HP 65 that didn't come with any cards, and would like to test the card reader to make sure it works before spending any money on OEM cards.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-19-2016, 11:16 PM
RE: DIY magnetic cards?
I have no experience and even have no card reader, but you coud start with a piece of VHS tape (computer megnetic tape would be better but is not easy to get). Then line it with a piece of thin and stiff paper and cut to proper dimensions using paper cutter.
VHS tape width is 12.7mm or 1/2", the card dimensions are 11.3 x 71 x 0.2 mm (not sure about it, found somewhere in the internet).
Anyway you could give it a try.
09-20-2016, 01:55 AM
(09-19-2016 02:19 AM)jay Wrote:  Does anyone have any experience with making magnetic cards? I'm restoring an HP 65 that didn't come with any cards, and would like to test the card reader to make sure it works before spending any money on OEM cards.

I'd question the validity of a test using a homemade card. Duplicating the magnetic characteristics of a mag card is probably not easy. Better to find someone who could send you a few cards. If no one in Canada can help you out, let me know and I'll send you a some.

Dave
09-20-2016, 02:56 AM (This post was last modified: 09-20-2016 02:57 AM by jay.)
Thanks for the tips, everyone. A nice person from HP's forums has provided instructions, and has offered to send me some data quality tape. Here's the link to the thread for those interested:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Calculators...-p/5596928

Dave, I would appreciate some real cards. I would still like to try making my own, but it would be good to have some real ones as reference. I don't know of anyone in Canada that could send me some, unless that someone is reading this thread. I could send you some money via PayPal to cover the cost of postage and your time.

Thanks again for your help.

(09-20-2016 01:55 AM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  
(09-19-2016 02:19 AM)jay Wrote:  Does anyone have any experience with making magnetic cards? I'm restoring an HP 65 that didn't come with any cards, and would like to test the card reader to make sure it works before spending any money on OEM cards.

I'd question the validity of a test using a homemade card. Duplicating the magnetic characteristics of a mag card is probably not easy. Better to find someone who could send you a few cards. If no one in Canada can help you out, let me know and I'll send you a some.

Dave
09-20-2016, 04:06 AM
Hi jay,

I can think of several members in Canada who would be willing to help you out. Let's give them a little while to see your thread first.

In the mean time, I read through the link you posted and noticed that SpockST doesn't mention anything about the thickness of the card. This is critical and there's even an adjustment to the card reader for this. Adjusting the eccentricity for homemade cards may make the card reader incompatible with real cards.

Real cards are not very expensive. Is it really worth the risk and effort?

Dave
09-20-2016, 02:35 PM
Jay,

I can probably spare you some cards, send me an email with your address.

Paul.

(09-20-2016 02:56 AM)jay Wrote:  Thanks for the tips, everyone. A nice person from HP's forums has provided instructions, and has offered to send me some data quality tape. Here's the link to the thread for those interested:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Calculators...-p/5596928

Dave, I would appreciate some real cards. I would still like to try making my own, but it would be good to have some real ones as reference. I don't know of anyone in Canada that could send me some, unless that someone is reading this thread. I could send you some money via PayPal to cover the cost of postage and your time.

Thanks again for your help.

(09-20-2016 01:55 AM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  I'd question the validity of a test using a homemade card. Duplicating the magnetic characteristics of a mag card is probably not easy. Better to find someone who could send you a few cards. If no one in Canada can help you out, let me know and I'll send you a some.

Dave
09-21-2016, 01:36 AM
Thanks for the offer, Paul! I've sent you an e-mail.

Dave, you raise a good point about the thickness. I'll be sure to test the reader with a real card. You're right that it doesn't make sense to make your own cards to try to save money, but I guess it's the DIY challenge that I find appealing. Also, I imagine the cards will become harder and harder to get since they're discontinued - I'd be nice to know I can always make some.

Anyway, thanks a lot to everyone for the help!
09-21-2016, 05:48 AM
I read about that somewhere, too. I think i remember that that guy used VHS tape which he sticked to cardboard, and then cut it with a razor blade using a real card as template. As those cards are not exactly expensive though, it is easier to buy them - though i understand the DIY appeal.
09-21-2016, 06:45 PM (This post was last modified: 09-21-2016 06:46 PM by Sylvain Cote.)
(09-21-2016 05:48 AM)damaltor Wrote:  As those cards are not exactly expensive though.

Sorry but not for Canada.
If you include shipping, duty and exchange, the current price is $3.00 CAD ($2.25 USD) or more per card.
If you are very patient, you could have it as low as $2.00 CAD ($1.50 USD) per card.
These above prices are for the cards only, no card holder.
Sylvain

edit: typo
09-21-2016, 06:56 PM
(09-21-2016 06:45 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  
(09-21-2016 05:48 AM)damaltor Wrote:  As those cards are not exactly expensive though.

Sorry but not for Canada.
If you include shipping, duty and exchange, the current price is $3.00 CAD ($2.25 USD) or more per card.
If you are very patient, you could have it as low as $2.00 CAD ($1.50 USD) per card.
These above prices are for the cards only, no card holder.
Sylvain

edit: typo

Here are 11 cards from Canada for $22 USD and here are 25 new cards with holder for $42 USD.
09-21-2016, 08:31 PM
(09-21-2016 06:56 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  Here are 11 cards from Canada for $22 USD

From Canada -> $22.00 USD + $2.00 USD shipping = $24.00 USD / 11 cards = 2.18 USD = $2.88 CAD per card

(09-21-2016 06:56 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  and here are 25 new cards with holder for $42 USD.

From USA -> $41.99 USD + $10.38 USD shipping + $6.14 USD duty = $58.51 USD / 25 cards = $2.34 USD = $3.09 CAD per card but with a holder (better deal)

A little lower than I thought, but far from the prices of 4 years ago when it was around $1.10 USD/CAD per card.

Sylvain
09-22-2016, 02:47 PM
This thread reminds me of a story that Dean Lampman (founder of the second-ever PPC chapter; located in Ohio) told toward the end of the 2001 HP Conference in the Chicago area....he got to beta-test the HP-65 for HP back in '73 and they didn't send very many mag cards because they didn't have many manufactured yet. He needed more and decided to make his own by cutting down larger mag cards from one of the HP desktop machines. They worked fine, and when he told HP what he was doing, that apparently got the lawyers' feathers ruffled and they promptly notified him to "cease and desist". No good deed apparently goes unpunished.

Jake

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)