[HP-35s] direct stack designation
09-05-2016, 02:20 PM
[HP-35s] direct stack designation
Hi All,

I am no hardcore number crunching math guy, am just a graphic designer with a love for calculators (and rulers and compasses or any other measuring instrument...).

I discovered the wonders of the HP-41CV lately by getting one at SwissMicros. Loved it and thought I'd get me a modern version with the 35s. I know it's already quite old, and everything has already been said about it. As for me, I must say I'm a little disappointed. Many things which made the HP-41 so cool have been left out (and quite frankly, I don't get why that is so).

So here's my question: is it right that, on the HP-35s there is no equivalent to the stack manipulation syntax "STO . Z", or "RCL . T" found in the HP-41?

I can't find anything like that in the manual and would like to know if I should really completely forget this feature (which I love and use in programs on the HP-41), or if there is a way to achieve the same kind of functionality.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2016, 02:59 PM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2016 03:25 PM by wojtek.)
RE: [HP-35s] direct stack designation
(09-05-2016 02:20 PM)Eamoex Wrote:  So here's my question: is it right that, on the HP-35s there is no equivalent to the stack manipulation syntax "STO . Z", or "RCL . T" found in the HP-41?
The answer is unfortunately YES. Compared to 41c, 35s is just a toy for dummies although some users like it and write even quite complicated programs for it.
My advice: buy 50g, you will have full set of stack manipulation commands and muuuch more
09-05-2016, 03:31 PM
On the 35s you don't have the direct STO access to the stack registers, but you have the RCL direct access: [EQN] [R|] or [left Shift] [Mem] [R|] then select the register you want to RCL from. This will show up as REGX, REGY, REGZ & REGT in program mode. This is described page B-7 in the manual under "Accessing Stack Register Contents".
09-05-2016, 03:36 PM
All right, thanks for your reply.

HP... come on guys, really? You could pull it off in 1979 and with all the silicon savvy we now have you still can't bring it back? This is mind boggling. And no USER mode? Seriously.

Frankly, I'd pay twice what I did on the 35s for a proper update to the HP-41.
09-05-2016, 05:02 PM
(09-05-2016 03:36 PM)Eamoex Wrote:  .

Frankly, I'd pay twice what I did on the 35s for a proper update to the HP-41.

Frankly, you're not the only one. I'd even pay more than that.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-05-2016, 08:17 PM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2016 08:22 PM by Eamoex.)
(09-05-2016 05:02 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  Frankly, you're not the only one. I'd even pay more than that.

Okay that was silly. So would I.

(09-05-2016 03:31 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  This is described page B-7 in the manual under "Accessing Stack Register Contents".

Hey Didier, thanks very much for the heads up! It actually does sort of fix it for me.

But still. This calculator feels like HP is taking a bit of control out of my hands compared to the straightforward HP-41. Equation mode. What the heck.

[RCL] [.] [Z], THAT is solid and streamlined.
09-05-2016, 08:56 PM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2016 09:04 PM by Dieter.)
(09-05-2016 08:17 PM)Eamoex Wrote:  Hey Didier, thanks very much for the heads up! It actually does sort of fix it for me.

This feature is even more powerful. In equation mode you are not limited to a simple REGZ or REGT, you can do things like REGT*SQRT(REGZ) and even more. In fact you can evaluate a complete formula in one single program line.

(09-05-2016 08:17 PM)Eamoex Wrote:  But still. This calculator feels like HP is taking a bit of control out of my hands compared to the straightforward HP-41. Equation mode. What the heck.

Equation mode is a very powerful way of evaluting, solving and integrating equations. It can even solve equations symbolically and return a direct solution without iteration. This is something the HP41 lacks completely. But, more important: the 35s was never designed as a successor to the HP41. This was the 42s, and later maybe the 48/50 series. The 35s is the successor of the 33s, or maybe the 34C if you compare calculators from the HP41 era. It's a midrange calculator, and in this regard it's an excellent tool. In many respects it is even more powerful than the 41 series: it's more accurate (12 digits instead of 10), has a wider working range (1E+/-499 instead of 1E+/-99), it offers HP Solve and Integrate and it runs 3x as fast as the 41. It does complex math, handles 2D- and 3D vectors and has a lot of additional and useful functions and features (RCL-arithmetics, constants, Gamma, regression, fraction mode etc. etc. etc.). I am using both models almost daily, so I think I may say this, although I still love my 1981 41C. ;-)

Dieter
09-05-2016, 09:27 PM
Hey Dieter, thanks for chiming in.

(09-05-2016 08:56 PM)Dieter Wrote:  But, more important: the 35s was never designed as a successor to the HP41.

I think you nailed it. I might be a little too fascinated by the object and the design, enough to blind me when it comes to selecting the right machine.

Excellent advocating of the 35s by the way. I'll probably never use half of all this power!
09-05-2016, 09:41 PM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2016 09:41 PM by Massimo Gnerucci.)
(09-05-2016 09:27 PM)Eamoex Wrote:  Excellent advocating of the 35s by the way. I'll probably never use half of all this power!

Of course be sure to also read these caveats.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)