[SUCCESS] 34s project closed
02-06-2014, 09:44 PM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2014 01:10 PM by Tugdual.)
[SUCCESS] 34s project closed
I played with the emulator for a while and now I totally want one! Damned this little calculator is boosted like a cyclist of the tour de France. I don't want to reprieve me from the pleasure of modifying it myself. Just ordered a 2nd hand 30b and a couple of overlays. Don't know yet how I'm gonna flah it, need to find an old PC with a serial port and a Linux boot disk... Amazing there is even a linux version of the flash tool. Got a week or two to think about it. Feel like a kid waiting for Xmas now.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2014, 11:14 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2014 11:27 PM by Dave Frederickson.)
RE: 34s project initiated
A key piece to the puzzle is the cable that connects to the calculator. I'm selling parts to make a connector at cost in the classified section. Most people use a cable with a USB-serial chip or a USB-RS232 adapter, so you don't need an old PC. Check the Not quite HP Calculators - but related section for more info on cables since that's where this topic belongs.

Dave
02-08-2014, 03:22 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2014 03:22 PM by Tugdual.)
(02-06-2014 11:14 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  A key piece to the puzzle is the cable that connects to the calculator. I'm selling parts to make a connector at cost in the classified section. Most people use a cable with a USB-serial chip or a USB-RS232 adapter, so you don't need an old PC. Check the Not quite HP Calculators - but related section for more info on cables since that's where this topic belongs.

Dave
Thanks for the offer Dave, very much appreciated, but being located in Europe I guess it won't be an easy deal. I had a look on your thread, very informative, that definitely gives me directions on how to design the plug.

Update: 2nd hand calculator order confirmed (postal fees are 20% of the calculator cost Sad ) hope it is in a good shape; I thought it would look new with all the stickers anyway, I just hope the keyboard will be good.
No news from hpcalc.org for the overlay; was like expecting a confirmation mail? Hope they ship outside of the US.
02-08-2014, 05:42 PM
(02-08-2014 03:22 PM)Tugdual Wrote:  No news from hpcalc.org for the overlay; was like expecting a confirmation mail? Hope they ship outside of the US.

He used to ship worldwide. Smile

d:-)
02-08-2014, 05:55 PM
(02-08-2014 03:22 PM)Tugdual Wrote:  but being located in Europe I guess it won't be an easy deal.

Easy as pie. Postage to the UK was about $6.50 USD so France should be about the same.

Dave
02-11-2014, 12:16 PM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2014 12:48 PM by Tugdual.)
Update: looks like the stickers are on their way now. Everything is gradually taking place and I now have to decide for the connectivity solution.

It looks simpler to go for an internal USB module that will require some simple soldering rather than going for a 6 pins cable that requires more mechanical savvy and I'm not equipped for that. I found this module Conrad link and I was wondering if that would do the job. I think I remember reading that CMOS was required while the Conrad module is TTL. Also I'm concerned with voltages, usb being 5V while the calculator is on 3V. Can sbdy advise if that would be the right choice? Also would the module permanently drain batteries or can I assume it would only be active when the USB is connected? Is there anything else I should be aware of? Those are may be trivial questions but I prefer checking with more expert persons...

Edit: just noticed on [Spec] that the board has duplicate pins, some being 3V and some others 5V. Looks like this board is a good candidate, just need to know which pins I shall use...
02-11-2014, 03:43 PM
(02-11-2014 12:16 PM)Tugdual Wrote:  It looks simpler to go for an internal USB module that will require some simple soldering
Check out Harald's USB board: http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-373...ml#pid3837
02-11-2014, 04:10 PM
I have an internal USB board and a USB-to-Serial adapter from Harald. The cable adapter is nice if you're updating multiple calculators. Updating a co-worker's calculator got me a free beer. Smile

Dave
02-11-2014, 04:41 PM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2014 09:38 PM by Tugdual.)
(02-11-2014 04:10 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  I have an internal USB board and a USB-to-Serial adapter from Harald. The cable adapter is nice if you're updating multiple calculators. Updating a co-worker's calculator got me a free beer. Smile

Dave
Dave, for you would deserve at least 2 beers in my opinion!
02-14-2014, 11:31 PM
Okay, received the second hand 30b. Quite a good one finally, better quality than what I expected initially. I also found a USB to RS232 cable so I just did a quick and dirty adapter. Erased the 30b successfully but MySamba doesn't connect.
I wired the 9 pins RS232 as follow
Pin 2 (RXD) <-> J35 RX0
Pin 3 (TXD) <-> J33 TX0
Pin 5 (GND) <-> J34 GND
I also tried to cross J33 & J35 but MySamba doesn't connect.

Checked Windows Settings and the COM is parametered 9600 8N1.
Does any body know if I'm doing something wrong?

Right now the 30b is bricked, should I do something special to reactivate the programming mode after a failure?
02-15-2014, 07:59 AM
I'd recommend following the trouble-shooting guide in the printed manual.

d:-)
02-15-2014, 08:42 AM (This post was last modified: 02-15-2014 09:07 AM by Tugdual.)
Thanks Walter, I have checked the Troubleshooting guide and didn't find any clue there so far. Hope the RS232 on the calculator is still operating...

Do I have to wire RTS, CTS and other "non used" pins on the PC DB9 (as mentioned below)?
[Image: 9f9f3a.gif]

Edit: Just in case, I also wired the additional pins as mentioned above. Not any better.

I guess this is the end of this project.
02-15-2014, 04:11 PM
RE: [CLOSED/FAILED] 34s project initiated
You do know that for connecting the calculator to a RS-232 port you need a level translator in between them? The serial port on the calculator is not RS-232, it is an asynchronous serial port but the signal levels switches between 0V and 3V.
02-15-2014, 04:26 PM
(02-15-2014 04:11 PM)Paul Berger (Canada) Wrote:  You do know that for connecting the calculator to a RS-232 port you need a level translator in between them? The serial port on the calculator is not RS-232, it is an asynchronous serial port but the signal levels switches between 0V and 3V.
Hi Paul, no I didn't know. So I connected the outpout of the RS232 straight on the internal port. Do you think I have damaged the calculator?
02-15-2014, 05:47 PM
Its hard to say without trying, I am guessing that you went through the sequence of erasing the flash in the calculator before trying to program it so it will not show any signs of life that I know of in that state, all I can suggest is to try it with a proper connection, a lot of modern electronics are surprisingly robust. This is one of the attractions of USB cables there are a lot of USB to serial devices out there that provide a serial interface at the correct levels. For instance I have a smal card here that has a FTDI FT232PL chip on it and the output levels on it are programmable for 3.3V or 5V (TTL) level signals, I also recently bought a cable designed for programming arduinos, these cables would also work for talking to these calculators. My two WP34Ses both have one of Harald's USB and IR printing cards installed in them, and I gave away my original programming cable which became the fabled community cable.

Paul.
02-15-2014, 10:03 PM
Hi Tugdual,

I agree with Paul's assessment of the situation and here's the "official" 20b/30b interfacing guide.
The WP 34S Owner's Manual is also a good guide.

Hi Paul,

I remember reading an old post about the cable that was passed around. Any idea where it is now, not that I need one? ;-)

Dave
[Image: Resistance2.jpg]
Resistance is futile.
02-16-2014, 02:20 AM
(02-15-2014 10:03 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  Hi Paul,

I remember reading an old post about the cable that was passed around. Any idea where it is now, not that I need one? ;-)

Dave
[Image: Resistance2.jpg]
Resistance is futile.
No I sent the cable to a gentleman in Washington State who wrote the lore of the "Lucky WP34S cable" http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/...823#257823 and from the last posts in the old forum it seemed like he was getting ready to pass it on to the next person but I have not heard anything more of it. It would be nice if the person currently in possession of the cable made it known so that anyone in need would know who to contact, maybe what we need is a tracking thread.
02-16-2014, 04:31 AM (This post was last modified: 02-16-2014 09:50 AM by Jonathan Cameron.)
I was having problems getting my FTDI solution working to flash my wp-34s. Eventually I ran across this post:

http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/...977#200119

Which has a bit different procedure to reset the calculator to receive a download (involving holding down the [ON] key during the erasing step). It worked for me!

By the way, i was only able to get this working on windows with MySamba (running as administrator). I could not get the QtFlash working on Windows or Linux.

And I had to cross connect the USB-TTL Tx to the Calculators Rx0 and vice versa (USB-TTL Rx to calculator Tx0).

-Jonathan
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-17-2014, 10:16 AM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2014 10:18 AM by Tugdual.)
Thanks everybody for your support and information shared. My initial idea was to solder a USB Harrald board but I don't know where to get one. Also I'm no longer certain I have the right kills to do this project and I'm reluctant to invest any more money with so little expertise and chances to succeed. At the end of the day I want a 34s :-) and I still badly want one.

So I was considering the option to lower the risks and invest money to get the calculator flashed by sbdy more skilled than I. If anybody volunteers, please feel free to PM me your conditions.

Note: I'm still waiting for my stickers; hopefully I should be able to apply them without support :-)
02-17-2014, 12:02 PM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2014 12:22 PM by walter b.)
(02-17-2014 10:16 AM)Tugdual Wrote:  At the end of the day I want a 34s :-) and I still badly want one.

So I was considering the option to lower the risks and invest money to get the calculator flashed by sbdy more skilled than I. If anybody volunteers, please feel free to PM me your conditions.

Please tell us where you live on this planet.

d:-?

P.S.: Just saw it on your CP. Maybe something for Marcus?

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)