embarrassing spreadsheet question w/ rpn
02-06-2014, 01:58 AM
embarrassing spreadsheet question w/ rpn
I read that the recent upgrade addressed many of the spreadsheet issues when using RPN. or did I read that? Regardless, after updating my Prime I find certain functions such as sum(), and others still do not work in RPN mode. sum(A1:A3) for example.

am I missing something? I have gotten that function to work in algabraic mode. does RPN mode need a named series or...?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2014, 11:04 AM
RE: embarrassing spreadsheet question w/ rpn
In RPN mode you need to quote algebraic expressions, e.g. 'sum(A1:A3)'

<0|ΙΈ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-07-2014, 11:38 PM
(02-07-2014 11:04 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  In RPN mode you need to quote algebraic expressions, e.g. 'sum(A1:A3)'

Joe - thanks for the tip.

Specifically, in RPN mode you can enter 'sum(A1:A3)' in the command line and hit Enter. For me, this loaded 1: sum(A1:A3) but did not evaluate. I had to hit Eval to generate the sum.

In the spreadsheet APP that A1:A3 was referred to, entering =sum(A1:A3) in a cell generated the numerical result whether or not I was in RPN or ALG modes.

Best,
Carl
02-11-2014, 05:51 PM
I am not seeing what is not working here. SUM is another one of those "can take a large number of arguments" commands.

A1:A3 SUM(1) works, as does A1:A3 4 5 SUM(3). 'SUM(A1:A3' creates the formula and is equivalent to =SUM(A1:A3) in a normal spreadsheet.

How are you trying to enter it?

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
02-11-2014, 08:40 PM
Hi Tim,

If you were asking me, I have no issues with this. I did learn that entering the expression 'sum(A1:A3)' in RPN does not evaluate until Eval pressed.

Best,
Carl
02-11-2014, 09:40 PM
Was asking the op. Sorry.

Are you doing that in the home screen? If so, then yes that is expected. In the spreadsheet itself '<formula>' is equivalent to =<formula> and should be automatically evaluating.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)