Advanced graphing
01-04-2016, 03:07 AM
Advanced graphing
In regular graph app, (e^-x)*sin(x) graphs properly, and finds extremums correctly. The same equation graphs properly in advanced graph app, but displays "!" when I ask for a vertical extremum. Also will not display table of this function (regular graph app does table fine). Am I doing something wrong?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2016, 05:37 AM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2016 05:40 AM by jte.)
RE: Advanced graphing
I can recreate the "!" with the vertical extremum.

For the numeric view, are you switching the view to "edge tracing" with X as the independent (leftmost column) variable? (To do this select "Edge" from the "Trace" soft menu key; use the third [X / Y] soft menu key to toggle the tracing direction.) Note that the numeric view currently limits the dependent range to that of the plot view. (No Y values will be shown if Y is out of plotting range.)

(With tracing off in the numeric view, which is the default, the table shows a point sampling of an open sentence's truth value along a ray in the plane.)
01-05-2016, 11:05 PM
Thanks...numeric view works, but points of interest still will not show for this function. Interestingly, POI does find the x and y axis intercepts in plot and numeric screen.

Why does it fail to find vertical extremums for this function? (Extremums ARE found in regular graph app for this function)
01-11-2016, 06:05 PM
(01-05-2016 11:05 PM)lrdheat Wrote:  Why does it fail to find vertical extremums for this function? (Extremums ARE found in regular graph app for this function)

Just guessing, but this is a purely "numeric" extremum and perhaps the rapid oscillation is doing something funky with the algo for looking at it.

That being said, I suspect he will get to the bottom of it. I've filed an issue for him. :-)

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
01-17-2016, 03:36 PM
In case another example would help, (3ROOT x^3 -9)/x also surd(x^3 -9,3)/x work in regular graph app, but in advanced graph app, 3ROOT option only plots for part of domain above X=9^(1/3), surd option produces !, shows entire graph screen colored.

Thanks for checking this out!
01-17-2016, 05:29 PM
Is 3ROOT even supported? I didn't find anything in the help files for this.

-Dale-
01-17-2016, 11:04 PM
I was using the n root template...
01-17-2016, 11:09 PM
And related, for this same function, I get a screen full of messages concerning calculator is trying rational simplification only when I try to solve diff, and diff(diff of the above equation in CAS. Perhaps I'm not using the correct syntax? Classpad 400 solves it immediately, WP 34s does it numerically...
01-17-2016, 11:13 PM
Update...after letting the Prime continue to generate messages for a minute or more, when I pressed "on", it came up with the correct exact answer! Why didn't it come on screen without me having to press 'on"? Surprised that the Prime had so much difficulty with this problem.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)