Now available on iTunes: HP Prime Graphing Calculator iOS app
12-21-2015, 06:58 AM
RE: Now available on iTunes: HP Prime Graphing Calculator iOS app
Seems to be all help topics. The "page" indicator, with the up/down arrows, is working if I swipe and also when tapping the Page button but the actual help text still displays page 1 only.

(iPhone 6, iOS 9.2 (13C75))

Thanks for a great app Wink

JanneF

Compatibility is just a mishap in the art of violating the standards!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-21-2015, 01:20 PM
(12-19-2015 09:40 AM)factor Wrote:  After reading the iTune page I found it very interesting and fine product indeed!

Just wondered does the Prime App on iOS "turn" to landscape mode? And, does it support portable keyboard?

Say when a portable keyboard is plugged in, it is then possible to hide some keys from the screen (at least the numeric ones), saving the real estate for larger screen! I am assuming the screen resolution will grow, not just "stretching" to map more screen pixels here..
Yes to both landscape and keyboard use.

No to the hiding of some buttons.
12-22-2015, 07:36 PM (This post was last modified: 12-22-2015 07:50 PM by Mariox.)

12-22-2015, 08:16 PM
thank you, Mariox, for the video.
Yes, the problem is the scroll.
I hope to have soon a new update with a solution: I would like to copy some of mine programs but they are too long...

Salvo

∫aL√0mic (IT9CLU) :: HP Prime 50g 41CX 71b 42s 39s 35s 12C 15C - DM42, DM41X - WP34s Prime Soft. Lib
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-28-2015, 05:00 AM (This post was last modified: 12-28-2015 05:00 AM by ndzied1.)
(12-18-2015 04:48 AM)Gerson W. Barbosa Wrote:  
(12-16-2015 05:25 PM)ndzied1 Wrote:  Now I'm torn. I want this but I got burned by the "official" HP 15C app that had one simple glaring problem (annoyingly loud key click that couldn't be adjusted) and was never fixed. That app seems to be abandoned by hp.

Just launch the Settings app, then HP-15C then disable Key Clicks:

[Image: 23712534872_1385af306b_z.jpg]

Gerson.

Yes you can turn it off but if you like the click but just want it a bit softer? Can't do it. See here:
http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/...ead=192894

Although I'm betting (hoping) they have figured out how not to get into the same mess in the Apple Store again.
12-29-2015, 04:30 PM
(12-18-2015 08:53 PM)luisphysics Wrote:  Ok so I have been thinking about this program transfer so all my calculators have the same programs. Since it seems that HP is on the path to make the HP Prime calculator truly cross platform, I can see how they would be able to add the connectivity kit on OSX.

In the meantime, you can use WINE to run the HP Connectivity Kit and the HP Prime Virtual Calculator on Mac OS X. (I happen to use the CrossOver version per recommendations from this list. It works very well.)
01-05-2016, 09:34 PM
This excellent emulator works well on both my iPad 3 and iPhone 6* but when I try and install it via iTunes on the old iPhone 4 (IOS 7), I get no visible keyboard appear.
The keys positions if guessed at are responsive to touch but I'd like to actually see them!

Any ideas?

*The iPhone6 emulator is so fast that a huge series (see attachment) that takes around 4 seconds on the real calculator is finished in half that time on the phone.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

01-05-2016, 10:27 PM
(01-05-2016 09:34 PM)Kevin Wrote:  This excellent emulator works well on both my iPad 3 and iPhone 6* but when I try and install it via iTunes on the old iPhone 4 (IOS 7), I get no visible keyboard appear.
The keys positions if guessed at are responsive to touch but I'd like to actually see them!

Any ideas?

*The iPhone6 emulator is so fast that a huge series (see attachment) that takes around 4 seconds on the real calculator is finished in half that time on the phone.

Yeah, the "best practice" in iOS development is to provide for backward compatibility in things like screen layout--there are settings in the Xcode (the SDK) to support this. The exception being, that the 'new' program needed features only available in a later OS.

iOS 7 is like a dinosaur in comparison, particularly in the lower screen resolution that is supported.

Hope this helps,
Donal
01-15-2016, 12:10 PM
Does this mean we'll see an iMac connectivity kit any time soon?
01-17-2016, 12:54 AM
Thanks guys.

I'm loving it, I knew you where hiding something, this was a fantastic winter solstice percent.

Wish you the best. And to all.
01-17-2016, 08:30 AM
It's been available for $19.99 for a while on Android now. And I might even use it as the standard calc app on my Galaxy Note 4 if you could save your work, and if the app didn't waste so much space on borders that the usable area of the app is tiny. But of course, HP wants you to buy their hardware. So the $20 - $25 app had to be severely crippled. Especially since dedicated calculator hardware is basically "dead man walking" in this world of large cell phones and tablets, except in the education market, where the curriculum requires silliness like machines that blink LED codes to assure the teacher that they are running in crippled mode. So much silliness that we didn't used to have to deal with.
01-17-2016, 09:32 PM
(01-17-2016 08:30 AM)sbergman27 Wrote:  ... and if the app didn't waste so much space on borders that the usable area of the app is tiny. ....

I'm using the app on a Galaxy S4 (5" phone) and a Galaxy TAB S2 (9.7" tablet). The phone has a resolution of 1920x1080 that's a ratio of 16:9, while the Tab has a resolution of 2048x1536 that's a ratio of 4:3. The screen of the phone is almost completely filled, in landscape mode as well as in portrait mode.

On the TAB there is indeed unused estate, but obviously only to retain the aspect ratio. It's by far not tiny as it uses the longer side of the TAB almost completely.

Is it different on the NOTE?

Günter
01-18-2016, 11:46 AM (This post was last modified: 01-18-2016 11:48 AM by Kevin.)
(01-17-2016 08:30 AM)sbergman27 Wrote:  It's been available for $19.99 for a while on Android now. And I might even use it as the standard calc app on my Galaxy Note 4 if you could save your work, and if the app didn't waste so much space on borders that the usable area of the app is tiny. But of course, HP wants you to buy their hardware. So the $20 - $25 app had to be severely crippled. Especially since dedicated calculator hardware is basically "dead man walking" in this world of large cell phones and tablets, except in the education market, where the curriculum requires silliness like machines that blink LED codes to assure the teacher that they are running in crippled mode. So much silliness that we didn't used to have to deal with.

As a UK exam invigilator (and HP calc enthusiast), I know our awarding body - JCQ - are doing their best to ensure that no candidate has an unfair technological or functional advantage over those who are adhering to the published rules. This might mean using standard scientific, graphics and even programmable calculators are ok but it might not for a given exam. It usually means symbolic machines that can directly handle integrals and differentiation are not permitted.

While the HP Prime is mostly not yet accepted in UK exams (blinking lights or otherwise), spare a thought for invigilators who are having to remind current students to take off their Apple (or other smart) watches...

Worth remembering too that any student that simply writes down a result without showing the method is unlikely to gain many marks...
01-22-2016, 05:39 AM
iOS Emulator - Shift Home (i.e. Home Settings) causes crash
iOS Emulator - Shift Home (i.e. Home Settings) causes crash
02-11-2016, 10:43 AM
I am seriously thinking about getting this app just to generate synergies when using the ipad.
Only question that remains is: How can I share programs with my physical prime? No other apple computer available.
Sorry if that is a dumb question. I share the ipad with my wife and I have some difficulties with the apple concept.
02-11-2016, 04:35 PM
At this moment the only way is through cut and paste of text.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
02-11-2016, 06:18 PM
(01-18-2016 11:46 AM)Kevin Wrote:  
(01-17-2016 08:30 AM)sbergman27 Wrote:  It's been available for $19.99 for a while on Android now. And I might even use it as the standard calc app on my Galaxy Note 4 if you could save your work, and if the app didn't waste so much space on borders that the usable area of the app is tiny. But of course, HP wants you to buy their hardware. So the $20 - $25 app had to be severely crippled. Especially since dedicated calculator hardware is basically "dead man walking" in this world of large cell phones and tablets, except in the education market, where the curriculum requires silliness like machines that blink LED codes to assure the teacher that they are running in crippled mode. So much silliness that we didn't used to have to deal with.

As a UK exam invigilator (and HP calc enthusiast), I know our awarding body - JCQ - are doing their best to ensure that no candidate has an unfair technological or functional advantage over those who are adhering to the published rules. This might mean using standard scientific, graphics and even programmable calculators are ok but it might not for a given exam. It usually means symbolic machines that can directly handle integrals and differentiation are not permitted.

While the HP Prime is mostly not yet accepted in UK exams (blinking lights or otherwise), spare a thought for invigilators who are having to remind current students to take off their Apple (or other smart) watches...

Worth remembering too that any student that simply writes down a result without showing the method is unlikely to gain many marks...

"no candidate has an unfair technological or functional advantage over those who are adhering to the published rules"

It is a good thing that this dogma was not in effect during the earlier stages of human evolution or we would not be having this internet conversation.

While it is acceptable in an Art class to limit the use of media or technique to foster creativity (as a creative photographer, I will sometimes limit myself to one lens or use a film camera to 'see' things from a new perspective); to constrain STEM education to the lowest common denominator in technology can only be justified by a very limited budget or an even more limited understanding of the role of technology in human progress.

Does that mean that 'the answer' is more important than the underlying principles? Of course not! If a class involves "integrals and differentiation" it is likely that the job opportunities for students in that class will NOT require them to work them out from memory or use a slide rule.

The problem is that teachers do not keep up with technology and therefore limit the use of tools during testing to the ones they understand.

It might be argued that the latest tools actually favor the brilliant but financially disadvantaged student. Unlike the 'family-connections' that favor the rich, the cell phone tech and low-cost apps give an advantage to the diligent and clever student. We need more of the latter.

Lest anyone think this is a recent problem, consider these:
1900--lookup tables versus slide-rule;
1971--slide-rule versus h/p 35.

Now we have a tech-tool that puts the power of a big computer in the hand of science student. Why not let them use it?

The internet is rife with examples of poorly thought-out reasoning and failure to grasp basic science methodology; I cannot accept that an "everyone is equally disadvantaged" approach to STEM education will improve the quality of thought.
02-12-2016, 06:31 AM
Quote:At this moment the only way is through cut and paste of text.

That is good enough, thank you.
As said I am not too familiar with ios. I did not notice a classical text editor. Can you give information from what to copy into the editor?
I need to copy my prime code to the ipad with itunes? To notes?

It would be a really cool function if the prime would show up in wifi. There are file browsers in the app store that can be accessed with a web interface
02-22-2016, 09:01 AM
(02-11-2016 04:35 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  At this moment the only way is through cut and paste of text.

Any plans for "File Sharing"?

Cf. Apple Support on File Sharing

/Lennart Börjeson
Stockholm, Sweden
02-22-2016, 09:57 AM
(02-11-2016 06:18 PM)dbbotkin Wrote:  ...

Does that mean that 'the answer' is more important than the underlying principles? Of course not! If a class involves "integrals and differentiation" it is likely that the job opportunities for students in that class will NOT require them to work them out from memory or use a slide rule.

Lest anyone think this is a recent problem, consider these:
1900--lookup tables versus slide-rule;
1971--slide-rule versus h/p 35.

Now we have a tech-tool that puts the power of a big computer in the hand of science student. Why not let them use it?

As I understood it, strict calculator requirements (disqualifying new powerful models, and smartphone apps) are not there to force students to use old technology, but to ensure that everyone has actually learned the correct procedure.

If there was no such limitation, everyone could solve the test even without having knowledge to, if he has results written in calculator/computer, if he can communicate with somebody else outside of the classroom who can help him solve the test, or if he knows how to solve it by using calculator (and that knowledge is less comprehensive then knowledge to solve it using your own brain with a little help of calculator).

User(s) browsing this thread: 5 Guest(s)