HP 35s Discontinued or Marketing trick?
03-11-2016, 07:07 AM
RE: HP 35s Discontinued or Marketing trick?
Hello,

>No manufacturer is doing comprehensive quality testing and control, because it would rise the production costs to a level that the product would not be competitive.
>They have a schedule to design, test and go to market, and nothing will stop them.
>Realistically, there are no perfect products for the simple reason it were made by humans. It is in our nature.

It depends on what you mean by 'comprehensive'. Are every single possible inputs for + tested (all ~(10^12*999)^2 of them)? Well, no.... for some strange reasons...
Are all functions tested? Normally yes, but we are humans and stuff can be missed.

cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2016, 12:34 PM
(03-11-2016 07:07 AM)cyrille de brĂ©bisson Wrote:  Hello,

>No manufacturer is doing comprehensive quality testing and control, because it would rise the production costs to a level that the product would not be competitive.
>They have a schedule to design, test and go to market, and nothing will stop them.
>Realistically, there are no perfect products for the simple reason it were made by humans. It is in our nature.

It depends on what you mean by 'comprehensive'. Are every single possible inputs for + tested (all ~(10^12*999)^2 of them)? Well, no.... for some strange reasons...
Are all functions tested? Normally yes, but we are humans and stuff can be missed.

cyrille
Agreed Cyrille but selling machines that cannot be flashed on 21st century such as the 35s tells us something about the desire to deliver quality vs cheap off shore development to the detriment of the brand.
03-11-2016, 01:58 PM
(03-11-2016 12:34 PM)Tugdual Wrote:  Agreed Cyrille but selling machines that cannot be flashed on 21st century such as the 35s tells us something about the desire to deliver quality vs cheap off shore development to the detriment of the brand.
Flashed with what firmware? I'd happily buy another 35s if there only were one without all the bugs, and including R<>P conversion.
03-11-2016, 02:22 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2016 02:22 PM by Marcio.)
(03-11-2016 01:58 PM)Thomas Radtke Wrote:  Flashed with what firmware? I'd happily buy another 35s if there only were one without all the bugs, and including R<>P conversion.
+1

And matrix math.
04-04-2016, 11:58 AM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2016 11:59 AM by arosnes.)

Hi all. I just joined the forum. After my hp48sx died, I tried the HP35s and was instantly annoyed by the scroll-right-for-exponent display. Now I have bought a used HP33s instead. I have attached a picture showing the display of sine(45) on both calculators.

Hope there will be a new version soon that is better!

I know of course there is the fix/sci/eng display modes, but I really do not like to do calculate integers with decimals.
04-04-2016, 12:47 PM
(04-04-2016 11:58 AM)arosnes Wrote:  Hope there will be a new version soon that is better!

I know of course there is the fix/sci/eng display modes, but I really do not like to do calculate integers with decimals.

Hi there, welcome to the fora.

People here have been waiting for a bug-free 35s since 2007, so the advice around the corners is to not hold the breath.
04-04-2016, 12:55 PM
Every photo I have seen of the HP 35S makes me think that the case is slightly bowed -- looks slightly wider in the middle and thinner toward the top/bottom. Is this in fact how it was designed, or just how it is photographed? And if by design, why? It seems like a straight edge would be lest costly than a bowed edge.

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
04-04-2016, 01:20 PM
(04-04-2016 11:58 AM)arosnes Wrote:  Hi all. I just joined the forum. After my hp48sx died, I tried the HP35s and was instantly annoyed by the scroll-right-for-exponent display. Now I have bought a used HP33s instead. I have attached a picture showing the display of sine(45) on both calculators.

Hope there will be a new version soon that is better!

Welcome!
And welcome to the 35S surprisingly buggy!
Just kidding, I like the machine, despite its quirks or "features", depending on how you look at them Smile

Looking to your posted picture, I assume you are using the factory defaults, right?
It seems that the resolution is different between both machines, where the 35S gives you an extra digit, so that explains why we can not see the exponent.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

04-04-2016, 01:28 PM
(04-04-2016 12:55 PM)Han Wrote:  Every photo I have seen of the HP 35S makes me think that the case is slightly bowed -- looks slightly wider in the middle and thinner toward the top/bottom. Is this in fact how it was designed, or just how it is photographed? And if by design, why? It seems like a straight edge would be lest costly than a bowed edge.

Yes, it is.
That's one reason why I like this 35S model, it looks stylish in any collection.

The wider section is at the left-right cursors zone has 82mm.
At the bottom and at the top it has 79mm.

The height at the top is 21mm and the bottom is 12mm.

Nice body!

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

04-04-2016, 04:05 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2016 04:07 PM by wojtek.)
(04-04-2016 12:55 PM)Han Wrote:  Every photo I have seen of the HP 35S makes me think that the case is slightly bowed -- looks slightly wider in the middle and thinner toward the top/bottom. Is this in fact how it was designed, or just how it is photographed? And if by design, why? It seems like a straight edge would be lest costly than a bowed edge.
Perhaps not. If the overall cost consists of three main parts:
1 - preparing a mould
2 - plastic
3 - pressing
then 1 would be a little bit bigger with bowed edge, 3 would be the same but 2 (cost of plastic) would be lesser.
So perhaps the bowed edges enabled them to make cheaper body.
04-04-2016, 04:17 PM
(04-04-2016 11:58 AM)arosnes Wrote:  I just joined the forum. After my hp48sx died, I tried the HP35s and was instantly annoyed by the scroll-right-for-exponent display.
Welcome to this forum.

Just use a different display mode, unless you have a good reason to see all decimals at any time.

@Han, the 35s is a reminiscence to the 35, hence the shape.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)