Battery life and HW & SW hacks to extend it?
10-30-2015, 02:01 AM (This post was last modified: 10-30-2015 02:56 AM by Vtile.)
Battery life and HW & SW hacks to extend it?
Is there any way to get longer battery life for the calculator, the stated 15 hours (wikipedia since HPs page doesn't mention it, I assume that I can blame the marketing folks) sound like a bad joke to me ..seriously..

Have anyone replaced the battery unit with bigger li-ion battery (elecrically and or physically) and custom back cover (100mph tape incluted)? I assume that screw mounted shield is a battery cover behind the unit.

Is there what kind HP specific of electronic charging circuitry added to battery itself or is it just typical Li-Ion stack with charging protection? Does the calculator itself have circuitry to handle bigger battery or will it kill the calculator? How many mA it draws in ready to calculate state? How many while CPU is at full use? What is rough average draw while working (use, no use, use basics, solve complex stuff, no use etc..)? What is the turn-off voltage and amperage?

Is there "hibernation" settings and backlight turn-off functionalities on firmware any other power saving methods in use than turn-off calculator? How long storage life the calc have when recharged to full. Is there a good power level indication?

Option for downclock it without lost of mathematical accuracy / loss of functionality except speed?

Easiest way to prevent it to not run out of juice while on road is of course to just take one of those cellphone USB power banks with it and piece of USB cable. The why I tend to not like new phones with recharge daily life span, it were so cool when Nokia got phone somewhere in mid 90s that actually did work like several days then later for a weeks compared to typical few hours to day where we are again.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-30-2015, 03:32 AM
RE: Battery life and HW & SW hacks to extend it?
You might want to take a look at this thread:

http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/polls.php?...lts&pid=13

One person complaining too short seems pretty good to me. Basically, most people never have an issue. There is a really nice battery analysis that measured ~18 hours (that is runtime, screen brightness all the way, running continuously - aka not normal useage)

You can reduce your power by lowering the screen brightness all the way, and increase your capacity by getting a quality galaxy s3 battery (1500mah vs 2100/2200mah). However, most people have been quite pleasantly surprised and not had any complaint from everything I've gathered. Most people get weeks of normal use...

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
10-30-2015, 05:14 AM (This post was last modified: 10-30-2015 05:19 AM by Didier Lachieze.)
You may find some answers to your questions about battery life in this thread: HP Prime Battery consumption analysis
See post #18 for battery replacement alternatives.
10-30-2015, 07:41 AM
(10-30-2015 03:32 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  You might want to take a look at this thread:

http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/polls.php?...lts&pid=13

One person complaining too short seems pretty good to me. Basically, most people never have an issue. There is a really nice battery analysis that measured ~18 hours (that is runtime, screen brightness all the way, running continuously - aka not normal useage)

You can reduce your power by lowering the screen brightness all the way, and increase your capacity by getting a quality galaxy s3 battery (1500mah vs 2100/2200mah). However, most people have been quite pleasantly surprised and not had any complaint from everything I've gathered. Most people get weeks of normal use...

Well that poll mostly say that this forum have bias.

But thank you "Tim" for the information anyways, must have missed the search function with this case it seems. :O Well I'm a bit disappointed of a quality of current HP calc line it is superb at one corner, but not so on some other. Inconsistent someone might say and HP logo in corner puts a higher hopes than other.

Thanks also "Didier Lachieze", that thread were pretty much spot on what did come with my questions.
11-01-2015, 12:59 PM
FYI, the Prime's battery life is usually considered good. Better than the battery life of the comparable TI-Nspire CX (CAS), in both continuous usage (AFAIK) and especially normal stand-by mode.
After several months without using it, my Nspire CX CAS is always completely discharged (and has always behaved that way); the Prime, less so.
11-01-2015, 05:06 PM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2015 05:11 PM by Vtile.)
(11-01-2015 12:59 PM)debrouxl Wrote:  FYI, the Prime's battery life is usually considered good. Better than the battery life of the comparable TI-Nspire CX (CAS), in both continuous usage (AFAIK) and especially normal stand-by mode.
After several months without using it, my Nspire CX CAS is always completely discharged (and has always behaved that way); the Prime, less so.
Something positive atleast. Smile Unfortunately 1^(2)=1.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)