Newrpl on x49gp?
10-15-2015, 08:36 AM
Newrpl on x49gp?
Did anyone try newrpl on x49gp with any success?

I'm getting a blank screen on the emulator..

Yoel
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-15-2015, 02:55 PM
RE: Newrpl on x49gp?
(10-15-2015 08:36 AM)yoeljacobsen Wrote:  Did anyone try newrpl on x49gp with any success?

I'm getting a blank screen on the emulator..

Yoel

I haven't looked at x49gp lately, and never tested it with newRPL. I know there was a patch a while ago to add grayscale support for x49gp, you should check if your build has it. This could definitely cause a blank screen!
newRPL uses timers more extensively than the stock firmware. I don't remember if x49gp had a complete timer emulation, or just the bare minimum to run the stock firmware.
In any case, if you want to try newrpl, just checkout the source code, download Qt libraries with Qt Creator, open the newrpl-ui.pro project and build it. That will give you a GUI application with a simulated screen, you can save sessions and open them back. It runs way faster than x49gp since it's native code, not an emulator.
Except for the picture of the keys you can actually click on (the newrpl simulator doesn't display keys), it is about the same as using x49gp.
10-15-2015, 07:07 PM
Thank you. I did.

Yoel
11-08-2015, 03:43 AM
Just wanted to report that I was intrigued by this and decided to give it a try.
I found what was causing the emulator to hang and now it works nicely, but the keyboard doesn't quite register, it seems x49gp doesn't trigger IRQ's in the emulator the way it should.

I'm working on a fix for that, soon I'll publish a set of patches that will enable x49gp to run newRPL properly.

Claudio
11-18-2015, 01:34 PM
(11-08-2015 03:43 AM)Claudio L. Wrote:  I'm working on a fix for that, soon I'll publish a set of patches that will enable x49gp to run newRPL properly.

I wanted to announce that I have committed patches to x49gp's code here:

https://github.com/datajerk/x49gp

Which has become a de-facto latest repository for x49gp. I'm not sure if Egan is pushing updates to sourceforge anymore.

The latest rom downloadable from here:

http://hpgcc3.org/downloads/newrplfw.bin

should run fine on x49gp.
11-18-2015, 07:30 PM
some enthusiastic, to port x49gp to windows'os or raspberry-π

Thank you
11-18-2015, 10:57 PM
(11-18-2015 07:30 PM)compsystems Wrote:  some enthusiastic, to port x49gp to windows'os or raspberry-π

Thank you

For Windows, here's one attempt. I didn't test it, not sure it's finished yet:
https://github.com/Mwyann/x49gp

For Raspberry Pi, I'm not sure the version of QEmu that can run on an ARM host is compatible with the version that was used in x49gp to emulate the S3C2410. It may not be easy to port.
However, an ARM platform emulating another ARM platform seems redundant. It would be best to use Emu48 on the Pi.
11-19-2015, 06:23 AM
Works for me. Thank you!

Yoel

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)