Oh give me a HOME...
10-10-2015, 09:52 PM
Oh give me a HOME...
After I'm in an app such as POLAR where angle is radians I press ESC to escape. This puts me back in the command-line but still says POLAR in the title bar. When I choose HOME, it still says POLAR in the title bar and it indicates radians in the small display in the upper-right corner.

Repeat the same experiment with Triangle Solver, where the angle is in degrees in Triangle Solver, and now it indicates degrees in the small display after I ESC and go to HOME.

Note that in both cases when I choose HOME > Setup, and it says "HOME Settings" in the title bar, it indicates "Angle Measure: See Symbolic Setup". It should just display the HOME angle.

How do I get to the real HOME Screen?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2015, 10:30 PM
RE: Oh give me a HOME...
There is no real HOME screen, each app has HOME, CAS, SYMB, etc

My website: erwin.ried.cl
10-10-2015, 10:36 PM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2015 10:38 PM by Tim Wessman.)
You are in the home screen. There is only one. :-)

However, at every moment you have an active application. The active application is what is shown at the top of the screen. This is important because pressing different app keys (symb, info, plot, plot setup, num, num setup, and view) will behave different based on which application is active. Also, variables or programs contained in that application will be available more easily when you are running that application.

Note how if you do a calculation in home and then change to a new application you calculations are still there.

For the second part of your question, you have changed the APP specific settings in symbolic setup. This allows an application to override certain system settings. This can be very helpful for some situations.

To make it behave the way you are thinking, all you need to do is press [SHIFT] [SYMB] and then change the angle to "system". It will then follow the one global angle setting.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
Find all posts by this user
10-11-2015, 12:43 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2015 02:49 PM by epp.)
I wish to thank everyone for their responses. Here is my current understanding.

HOME > Setup
---defines global System variables

Symb > Setup
---defines 3 local App variables: Angle Measure, Number Format, and Complex.
---Specify System to inherit global variables

The calculator must always be in an App. Pressing the HOME key is simply a short-cut to the command-line.

To change defaults for global System variables
---in Symb > Setup specify System for local variables
---in HOME > Setup specify defaults for global variables
---in Symb > Setup redo local settings as needed

Some local settings are initialized with specific values. With Triangle Solver, for example, degrees will persist even with a Reset. This indicates that this setting was defined in the RESET function that is called when the App resets. See "App programs" in manual. Of course you can change this setting locally, after Reset, if you wish.
10-12-2015, 05:46 AM
Hello,

Local settings should not be hardcoded, they should all be user changeable (They will reset to default if you erase/loose the memory).

In the case of the reset, what most likely happened is that your change to the app setting was not "saved to disk". You can force a save to disk by turning the calc OFF and then back ON. After that, a reset (but not a memory clear), should not change the setting from what you have set it at.

cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)