RPL/2
08-21-2017, 11:45 AM
RE: RPL/2
Then i'll try the 4.1.27 (or the last for 4.1) on cygwin. If it fails I will try on debian. It will take a while though.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-27-2017, 11:44 AM (This post was last modified: 08-27-2017 03:15 PM by pier4r.)
So using the 4.1.27 sources on a debian 6.0.10 (Via C3 ~500 mhz , 256 mb sdram)

So far the configure script is telling me what to install. Although some reports:

[Image: S8ha7Kd.png]
while configure is working (on debian 6.0.10 I did not have to install patch) if I press Ctrl+C to interrupt the process, it takes a while to be recognized. And it does not stop the process. That is pretty annoying. If I do Ctrl+C I want to quit.
configure: line 6646: autoreconf: command not found
it should stop telling the user to install it.
checking for uuencode... yes
tar: openssl-1.1.0f/util/perl: Cannot mkdir: Input/output error
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
Checking for gcc...

(Why then does it continue to work? I do not know what to do I let it continue)
5. previous killed configurations left some archives in the folder "tools" not properly unpacked
and this was not detected by the scrip (nor by the user). Resulting in this error.
=== configuring in tools/libsigsegv-2.11 (/usb8g/packages/rpl-4.1.27/tools/libsigsegv-2.11)
configure: running /bin/bash ./configure --disable-option-checking '--prefix=/usr/local' '--
with-readline=builtin' '--disable-shared' '--enable-static' '--enable-threads' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
-O2 -fno-strict-overflow -malign-double -mieee-fp -Wall -funsigned-char -Wno-pointer-sign'
'CXXFLAGS=-g -O2 -O2 -malign-double -mieee-fp -Wall -funsigned-char' 'FFLAGS=-g -O2 -O2
-malign-double -mieee-fp -Wall -fno-f2c' 'FCFLAGS=-g -O2 -O2 -malign-double -mieee-fp -Wall
-fno-f2c' 'LDFLAGS=-pthread' '--disable-wxwidgets' '--with-abi-version=5.9' '--with-rel-vers
ion=5.9' --cache-file=/dev/null --srcdir=.
configure: error: cannot find sources (src/sigsegv.h.in) in .
configure: error: ./configure failed for tools/libsigsegv-2.11

Deleting unpacked tools in ./tools and starting the configuration again.
Even after the installation of autoreconf (debian installed "dh-autoreconf"), after cleaning up the tools folder, autoreconf is not found.
ok maybe I should have deleted the config.status file. I deleted it and I try again. Also I do prefer to install (if I ever will be able to) the software in its own directory because otherwise removing it is not that easy.
8. after cleaning up config.status the current configuration worked (I did not pay much attention to possible output of errors though. The process on the system is very slow).
Downloaded automake_1.15.1-2.1_all.deb .
Make is working, let's see (I will not pay too much attention to errors, only if the program stop compiling.)
With my current system: https://xkcd.com/303/
9. Ok failed. I have a too new version of automake (I instaled 1.15.1 instead of 1.15). After hours of waiting, I move on on something else and I'll try again in the future. (still with 4.1.27)

I'll report other errors when they appears as edit.

In general is obvious that rpl2 required a lot of work, one can see it with all the checks done by "configure". Nonetheless, exactly because it is not trivial, it needs not to let slip errors that may affect the build result.

08-30-2017, 06:56 AM
(08-27-2017 11:44 AM)pier4r Wrote:  So using the 4.1.27 sources on a debian 6.0.10 (Via C3 ~500 mhz , 256 mb sdram)

So far the configure script is telling me what to install. Although some reports:

[Image: S8ha7Kd.png]
Do you have rebuilt configure script with autogen.sh ? This message is not an error message but this issue is fixed (if I remember).
Quote:2.
while configure is working (on debian 6.0.10 I did not have to install patch) if I press Ctrl+C to interrupt the process, it takes a while to be recognized. And it does not stop the process. That is pretty annoying. If I do Ctrl+C I want to quit.
Configure is a shell script and ^C should work. It is not intercepted by any process.
Quote:3.
configure: line 6646: autoreconf: command not found
it should stop telling the user to install it.
I suppose you have a very old version of autoconf/automake and associated M4 scripts.
Quote:4.
checking for uuencode... yes
tar: openssl-1.1.0f/util/perl: Cannot mkdir: Input/output error
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
Checking for gcc...

(Why then does it continue to work? I do not know what to do I let it continue)
I don't know. Is you filesystem full ? This error seems to come from openssl configure script, not from RPL/2 itself.
Quote:5. previous killed configurations left some archives in the folder "tools" not properly unpacked
and this was not detected by the scrip (nor by the user). Resulting in this error.
=== configuring in tools/libsigsegv-2.11 (/usb8g/packages/rpl-4.1.27/tools/libsigsegv-2.11)
configure: running /bin/bash ./configure --disable-option-checking '--prefix=/usr/local' '--
with-readline=builtin' '--disable-shared' '--enable-static' '--enable-threads' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
-O2 -fno-strict-overflow -malign-double -mieee-fp -Wall -funsigned-char -Wno-pointer-sign'
'CXXFLAGS=-g -O2 -O2 -malign-double -mieee-fp -Wall -funsigned-char' 'FFLAGS=-g -O2 -O2
-malign-double -mieee-fp -Wall -fno-f2c' 'FCFLAGS=-g -O2 -O2 -malign-double -mieee-fp -Wall
-fno-f2c' 'LDFLAGS=-pthread' '--disable-wxwidgets' '--with-abi-version=5.9' '--with-rel-vers
ion=5.9' --cache-file=/dev/null --srcdir=.
configure: error: cannot find sources (src/sigsegv.h.in) in .
configure: error: ./configure failed for tools/libsigsegv-2.11

Deleting unpacked tools in ./tools and starting the configuration again.
You can use "make purge".
Quote:6.
Even after the installation of autoreconf (debian installed "dh-autoreconf"), after cleaning up the tools folder, autoreconf is not found.
autoreconf is provided by autoconf (I use autoconf 2.69-10). Your installation is broken.
Code:

rayleigh:[/export/home/bertrand/gopher/rpl2/rpl] > dpkg-query -L autoconf | grep autoreconf
/usr/bin/autoreconf
/usr/share/man/man1/autoreconf.1.gz
rayleigh:[/export/home/bertrand/gopher/rpl2/rpl] >
[/code][/quote]
Quote:7.
ok maybe I should have deleted the config.status file. I deleted it and I try again. Also I do prefer to install (if I ever will be able to) the software in its own directory because otherwise removing it is not that easy.
8. after cleaning up config.status the current configuration worked (I did not pay much attention to possible output of errors though. The process on the system is very slow).
Downloaded automake_1.15.1-2.1_all.deb .
Make is working, let's see (I will not pay too much attention to errors, only if the program stop compiling.)
With my current system: https://xkcd.com/303/
9. Ok failed. I have a too new version of automake (I instaled 1.15.1 instead of 1.15). After hours of waiting, I move on on something else and I'll try again in the future. (still with 4.1.27)

I'll report other errors when they appears as edit.

In general is obvious that rpl2 required a lot of work, one can see it with all the checks done by "configure". Nonetheless, exactly because it is not trivial, it needs not to let slip errors that may affect the build result.
I can accept there are some bugs somewhere. But your debian installation seems to be very old and broken.

Configure script run as expected on following systems :
- debian stable, testing and unstable ;
- NetBSD 7- and 8- ;
- FreeBSD 10- and 11- ;
- OS/2 (and derivates) with --disable-recursive configure option ;
- Cygwin (last time I have checked),
and some other special systems like OpenVMS.

On all systems I install RPL/2, I only run :
$ ../rpl/configure --enable-motif --enable-rplcas
$ make && make install
$ make clean

If I want to delete all packages, I use make purge.
08-30-2017, 09:10 AM (This post was last modified: 08-30-2017 10:46 AM by pier4r.)
surely debian 6.0.10 is old. Broken: I don't think so since I use mostly packages from the apt-get repo and I installed a little of them. Mostly I installed stuff for rpL/2.

I'll see what I will get in the future, and if not, well, at least I tried.

09-28-2017, 12:07 PM
(08-30-2017 09:10 AM)pier4r Wrote:  surely debian 6.0.10 is old. Broken: I don't think so since I use mostly packages from the apt-get repo and I installed a little of them. Mostly I installed stuff for rpL/2.

I'll see what I will get in the future, and if not, well, at least I tried.

If you have a remote access, I can try to fix these mistakes, but I'm pretty sure that they come from your installation. I regularly build RPL/2 on a lot of different systems (including ARM, x86, Linux, Solaris, xBSD and even OS/2) and I have never seen these issues.

Best regards,

JKB
09-28-2017, 01:58 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2017 05:45 AM by pier4r.)
(09-28-2017 12:07 PM)JKB Wrote:  If you have a remote access, I can try to fix these mistakes, but I'm pretty sure that they come from your installation. I regularly build RPL/2 on a lot of different systems (including ARM, x86, Linux, Solaris, xBSD and even OS/2) and I have never seen these issues.

Best regards,

JKB

Yes it is likely debian 6.0.10 + packages is a bit behind. No problem sooner or later I will finally decide to buy a raspi and I hope I can try it there, especially because you mentioned ARM.

10-11-2017, 04:21 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2017 06:11 AM by JKB.)
Hello,

I have just uploaded a prebuilt release for Raspberry PI (raspbian testing) with RPL/CAS, GnuPLOT, Motif, MySQL and PostgreSQL features.

Code:

bertrand@fermat:~ $ rpl -is
+++RPL/2 (R) version 4.1.28 (Mardi 10/10/2017, 22:41:14 CEST)
+++Copyright (C) 1989 à 2016, 2017 BERTRAND Joël

+++Ce logiciel est un logiciel libre sans aucune garantie de fonctionnement.
+++Pour plus de détails, utilisez la commande 'warranty'.

RPL/2> version

1: { "RPL/2 version 4.1.28"
     { 4
       "RELEASE" }
     "Tuesday 10/10/17, 22:41:14 CEST"
     "/usr/local"
     "GNUPLOT"
     "FORCE GNUPLOT PATH"
     "POSTSCRIPT DISABLED"
     "VIM"
     "MYSQL"
     "POSTGRESQL"
     "MOTIF"
     "RPL/CAS"
     "EXPERIMENTAL CODE DISABLED"
     "32 BITS ABI"
     "ARMV7L-UNKNOWN-LINUX-GNUEABIHF" }
RPL/2> clear
RPL/2> '2*sin(X)/cos(X)' 'X' int

1: 'NEG(LN((NEG(SIN(X)))^2+1))'
RPL/2> abort
bertrand@fermat:~ $

Regards,

JKB
10-17-2017, 01:30 PM
Hi all,

Can't download any file from http://www.rpl2.net/telechargements.php.
It stays "waiting for ..." forever.
Do you know if is there any problem?
Thank you.
10-17-2017, 02:42 PM
(10-17-2017 01:30 PM)lost2 Wrote:  Hi all,

Thank you.

I don't understand. I've just checked and it works as expected (slowly... from 1000 to 3000 kbps...).

Since 1st of october, RPL/2 has been downloaded more than 100 times without error.

Best regards,

JKB
10-17-2017, 02:51 PM
JKB do you mind if I save the binaries* in the hp calc torrent from time to time?
http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-9090.html

* I can save also the sources of the final major.minor version. So in this case the 4.0.x while the 4.1.x seems still in development.

10-17-2017, 03:04 PM
(10-17-2017 02:51 PM)pier4r Wrote:  JKB do you mind if I save the binaries* in the hp calc torrent from time to time?
http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-9090.html
You can.
Quote:* I can save also the sources of the final major.minor version. So in this case the 4.0.x while the 4.1.x seems still in development.
I consider 4.0 dead. 4.1 is a major upgrade with a lot of bugfixes (and probably some new bugs). You can propose 4.1.27 and last binary packages.

Regards,

JKB
10-18-2017, 02:48 PM
(10-17-2017 02:42 PM)JKB Wrote:  
(10-17-2017 01:30 PM)lost2 Wrote:  Hi all,

Thank you.

I don't understand. I've just checked and it works as expected (slowly... from 1000 to 3000 kbps...).

Since 1st of october, RPL/2 has been downloaded more than 100 times without error.

Best regards,

JKB

Thank you JKB!
I was too impatient ;-)
Best regards,
MC
06-22-2018, 05:30 PM
New RPL/2 release (4.1.28). I have build a raspbian executable (deb package) that perfectly runs on my rPI 2 with Motif, sqlite, postgres, mariadb an RPL/CAS support.

Available at http://www.rpl2.net.

Regards,

JKB
06-22-2018, 06:53 PM
please can show images running rpl/2 on a RBπ

thanks
06-22-2018, 09:50 PM
I don't understand your question. RPL/2 runs on a rPI as it runs on a regular workstation. I have prebuilt a deb package as RPL/CAS makefile is currently broken on ARM and I have built this library by hands.

You can download deb package and install it.
06-23-2018, 10:20 AM
JKB thanks for your efforts! I bought a rPi (3) in october 2017 but it is still in the package (no time allotted to it) so I couldn't test your solution.

On the other side I hope to find the time to move a bit of my homelab to scaleway (I like their ARM micro server offerings), and I hope to find a not too time consuming way to install things there.

12-25-2018, 09:16 AM
Hello,

4.1.29 is available. I have upgraded some tools (sqlite, openssl...) and added a new intrinsic type (record).

Now, elements of a table can be recalled by name. For example :

Code:

hilbert:[~/cvs/build] > rpl -is
+++RPL/2 (R) version 4.1.30 (Lundi 24/12/2018, 17:02:25 CET)
+++Copyright (C) 1989 à 2017, 2018 BERTRAND Joël

+++Ce logiciel est un logiciel libre sans aucune garantie de fonctionnement.
+++Pour plus de détails, utilisez la commande 'warranty'.

RPL/2> |[ <[ "key" "value" ]> <[ 1 150 ]> ]|

1: |[ <[ "key" "value" ]> <[ 1 150 ]> ]|
RPL/2> "value" get

1: 150
RPL/2>

Records can be used with following instructions : RECORD (creates a new record), GET and PUT.

Best regards,

JKB
12-25-2018, 02:43 PM (This post was last modified: 12-25-2018 02:45 PM by edryer.)
Quote:Buy a Raspberry Pi Zero for $5.

Slightly off topic but to refer to an earlier post.

This was recently given away free on the cover of a Computer magazine - that is absolutely amazing - never in my lifetime did I think that free computers were being given away stuck to the front of a magazine cover....

HP-28S (1988 US model), DM41X (2020)
12-26-2018, 02:39 PM
And they are little monsters for some activities!

Unfortunately still no time on my side. I feel really sorry. But someone else may give it a try and make a report (I mean: RPL/2 on the raspi).

12-26-2018, 03:37 PM
(12-26-2018 02:39 PM)pier4r Wrote:  But someone else may give it a try and make a report (I mean: RPL/2 on the raspi).

This is the whole quote:
(11-26-2015 08:44 PM)Thomas Klemm Wrote:  
The 2nd link points to a thread of the old forum that gives some instructions.

It's been a while since I did this. But as far as I remember the only problem was to figure out missing dependencies like:
Quote:
  • gfortran
  • sharutils (uuencode)
  • byacc (yacc)
  • flex
  • libxt-dev (Intrinsic.h)
  • xbitmaps (X11/bitmaps/gray)
And then the compilation took some time on the Raspberry Pi 2.

HTH
Thomas

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)