Pythonista (Python IDE for iPad, iPhone)
09-03-2015, 11:23 PM
Pythonista (Python IDE for iPad, iPhone)
Those of you iPad owners that miss being able to pound out useful programs on-device like on a TRS-80 Model 100 might find this interesting. Pythonista is a Python 2.7 IDE for iOS, and it runs on both the iPad and iPhone (and presumably iPod Touch). It's got the standard library, some additions like numpy (no scipy yet, unfortunately), and even a few iOS-specific modules that allow you to build simple native UIs and access some other device-specific things.

Because of goofy Apple restrictions about apps being able to download executable code, there's no import functionality built-in. However, because it's fully-featured Python, it's pretty trivial to add a few scripts that will sync with Dropbox (handy for keeping your stuff up to date between devices), download scripts directly from Gist URLs, spawn an FTP server so you can copy things using your PC, or whatever else you want to do to get files in and out. And of course plain old copy and paste work fine as well.

Anybody else using it?

http://www.omz-software.com/pythonista/index.html

(The attached image shows the code editor in action, and was actually scaled down using the program shown in the screenshot.)

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2015, 07:24 AM
RE: Pythonista (Python IDE for iPad, iPhone)
(09-03-2015 11:23 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Anybody else using it?

I'm surprised no-one else has replied - it looks like a really nice program. On the other hand, I've taken to living in the Googleverse - has anyone come across a similar program for Android (or ChromeOS)? I have QPython, but it doesn't have an editor, let alone an IDE.

--- Les
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)